Why did California go GOP in 76 and 88?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did California go GOP in 76 and 88?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why did California go GOP in 76 and 88?  (Read 9257 times)
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 01:00:24 PM »

How will CA tred in he future? Will it keep going left?
revas
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 01:11:25 PM »

I think so...
According to Census Bureau projections, California may not win a single seat in 2010 reaportionement.
With an ever growing immigration, that means that middle class families are continuing to escape the state.

Then : Less and less white middle class families + growing number of Asian Americans (less christian and more secular than other ethnic groups) = Solid blue state.

I wonder what will be the effect of a crash of the housing bubble. Will middle class families come back to California, and then make it a competitive state again ?

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »

I think so...
According to Census Bureau projections, California may not win a single seat in 2010 reaportionement.
With an ever growing immigration, that means that middle class families are continuing to escape the state.

Then : Less and less white middle class families + growing number of Asian Americans (less christian and more secular than other ethnic groups) = Solid blue state.

I wonder what will be the effect of a crash of the housing bubble. Will middle class families come back to California, and then make it a competitive state again ?

Asian Americans are very meritocratic though. And they also get screwed by affirmative action. I don't think they're given as a Democratic voter group.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 05:34:18 AM »

It's actually interesting how solid Asian-Americans are as a Dem voting group.  Many of them are fairly traditionalist, with economically conservative beliefs (especially against affirmative action), and with higher-than-average affluency rates.
Republican06
Rookie
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 08:13:20 PM »

California used to be a pretty moderate to conservative state before the radical liberals took over in the late 90's. Ronald Regan was elected governor twice and carried the state twice. In 1988 George Bush campaigned as a strong on defense and tough on crime candidate who also promised to be a kinder and gentler President. They elected Pete Wilson as governor twice as well. However since 92 with Cliton I dont see California voting Republican
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies