FT 16.03 - Feed Frémonters Act (SIGNATURE AWAITING)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:21:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 16.03 - Feed Frémonters Act (SIGNATURE AWAITING)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 16.03 - Feed Frémonters Act (SIGNATURE AWAITING)  (Read 383 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2020, 04:50:39 PM by Frémont Speaker Oregon Blue Dog »

AN ACT
to combat economic blight and hunger within the Commonwealth

Section I. (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the “Feed Frémonters Act”.

Section II. (Definitions)
i. As it is used in this legislation, "food bank" is defined as an organization providing stocks of food free of charge to people in need.

Section III. (Declaration of Intents)
i. The Commonwealth of Frémont hereby recognizes the economic peril facing many farmers throughout the Commonwealth.
ii. The Commonwealth notes that due to the ongoing recession, it is currently more cost-effective for some farmers to allow crops to rot in fields than to pay for their harvest and distribution to retailers.

Section IV. (Purchase, Donation, and Distribution of Produce)
i. Any farmer conducting business within the Commonwealth may apply to the Frémont Farm Relief Bureau (FFRB) to sell produce to the Commonwealth at cost.
ii. Any food bank or branch thereof operating within the Commonwealth may apply to the FFRB to receive produce purchased under §IV(i) of this Act free of charge.
iii. Any such food bank may also apply to the Frémont Ministry of Transportation to lease any vehicle in the Commonwealth Vehicle Fleet, free of charge, to transport produce donated by the Commonwealth.

Section V. (Funding)
i. All funds appropriated by the Fremont Farm Maintenance Act of 2018 (FFM Act) not yet allocated shall be reappropriated to finance purchases authorized under §IV(i) of this Act, and leases authorized under §IV(iii) of this Act.
ii. $500,000 of the aforementioned funding shall be appropriated within the FFRB for the purposes of creating a webpage to efficiently process applications for produce donations, and for the hiring of additional employees to help process such applications.

Section VI. (Enactment and Expiration)
i. This act shall take effect immediately after signature by the First Minister.
ii. This act shall expire once all funds appropriated by the FFM Act are exhausted, or at the end of Fiscal Year 2020, whichever comes first.

Sponsor: MP Ted Bessell (Fine Gayle-Labor, California)

The gentleman from California has the floor.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

This legislation addresses a problem that you may have seen in the news. In difficult economic times like these, it can be more cost-effective for farmers to let crops rot than to pay to harvest and distribute food that might not sell. This bill pays farmers to farm so they don't lose money, donates the food to people in need via food banks, and uses the state vehicle fleet to provide ad-hoc transportation infrastructure to get the food from point A to point B.

Previously, Frémont appropriated hundreds of millions of dollars to farmer relief programs, the vast majority of which is still likely unutilized. This Act takes that money, already appropriated, and effectively loosens the criteria of which farms can receive it while allowing a small portion to be accessed for personnel/administrative costs and the vehicle fleet provision. Consequently, cost is likely not an issue here.

This is a simple solution to a severe problem, and I encourage my fellow MPs to pass it as soon as possible. I yield the floor.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »

A logical and compassionate response to a regional crisis. This legislation will have my support.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »

It's certainly a big government program, though not one without precedent. However, feeding more Frémonters is more than worth the cost. I will support this legislation.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

Since nobody seems to have additional comments on the bill, I motion for a final vote.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »

Motion seconded. Vote opened, y'all know the drill (48 hours).

Aye.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »

Aye.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 01:47:49 AM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 01:52:14 AM »

Aye.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 04:49:31 PM »

Feed Frémonters Act
Frémont Parliament Bill 16.03 - Sponsored by Ted Bessell, MFP

LABINDTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

FFFGMLSFTOTAL
Aye
Nay
Abstain
Not Present

First Minister HARRY S TRUMAN of North Dakota (LAB/FF)
Mr. AUSTRALIANSWINGVOTER of Washington (IND/ML)
Mr. TIRNAM of California (LAB/FF)
Mr. TED BESSELL of California (LAB/FG)
Mr. OREGON BLUE DOG of Oregon (LAB/SF)

Aight the bill passes. Truman?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »

AN ACT
to combat economic blight and hunger within the Commonwealth

Section I. (Title)
i. The title of this Act shall be the “Feed Frémonters Act”.

Section II. (Definitions)
i. As it is used in this legislation, "food bank" is defined as an organization providing stocks of food free of charge to people in need.

Section III. (Declaration of Intents)
i. The Commonwealth of Frémont hereby recognizes the economic peril facing many farmers throughout the Commonwealth.
ii. The Commonwealth notes that due to the ongoing recession, it is currently more cost-effective for some farmers to allow crops to rot in fields than to pay for their harvest and distribution to retailers.

Section IV. (Purchase, Donation, and Distribution of Produce)
i. Any farmer conducting business within the Commonwealth may apply to the Frémont Farm Relief Bureau (FFRB) to sell produce to the Commonwealth at cost.
ii. Any food bank or branch thereof operating within the Commonwealth may apply to the FFRB to receive produce purchased under §IV(i) of this Act free of charge.
iii. Any such food bank may also apply to the Frémont Ministry of Transportation to lease any vehicle in the Commonwealth Vehicle Fleet, free of charge, to transport produce donated by the Commonwealth.

Section V. (Funding)
i. All funds appropriated by the Fremont Farm Maintenance Act of 2018 (FFM Act) not yet allocated shall be reappropriated to finance purchases authorized under §IV(i) of this Act, and leases authorized under §IV(iii) of this Act.
ii. $500,000 of the aforementioned funding shall be appropriated within the FFRB for the purposes of creating a webpage to efficiently process applications for produce donations, and for the hiring of additional employees to help process such applications.

Section VI. (Enactment and Expiration)
i. This act shall take effect immediately after signature by the First Minister.
ii. This act shall expire once all funds appropriated by the FFM Act are exhausted, or at the end of Fiscal Year 2020, whichever comes first.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies