The Overperformance: A Tom Steyer Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Overperformance: A Tom Steyer Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Overperformance: A Tom Steyer Timeline  (Read 575 times)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
« edited: May 28, 2020, 12:46:34 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

Setting the Stage...

Graphic made myself

After months of campaigning, after all the naysayers writing off his campaign as an attempt to buy the presidency, Tom had done it. He was waiting for the collapse of the two frontrunners--Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. Senator Sanders and Vice President Biden led in the polls for several months, however, each left the race. Vice President Biden left the race after an unfortunate hot-mic incident where he bad-mouthed each of his Democratic rivals, particularly calling Senator Kamala Harris of California "that attorney b**ch." Meanwhile, Senator Sanders, now surging to first place after Biden left the race, had a heart attack after an event in Nevada. This proving slightly more fatal, doctors recommended that Bernie leave the race, disappointing the progressive movement.

With both men leaving the race, it opened the door for Senator Elizabeth Warren to take the helm of the progressives, and for Senator Kamala Harris to take the establishment moderates. However, after over-performances in some of the early states, all eyes were on Tom Steyer on Super Tuesday:

Iowa Caucus:
Kamala Harris: 26% (11 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 24% (10 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 22% (9 delegates)
Pete Buttigieg: 15% (6 delegates)
Amy Klobuchar: 12% (5 delegates)
Tulsi Gabbard: 1% (0 delegates)

New Hampshire Primary:
Elizabeth Warren: 31% (8 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 29% (7 delegates)
Amy Klobuchar: 17% (4 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 13% (3 delegates)
Pete Buttigieg: 8% (2 delegates)
Tulsi Gabbard: 2% (0 delegates)

After realizing she has no chance whatsoever, and only getting 2% in a state she spent several months campaigning in, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard suspends her campaign as well as Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

Nevada Caucus:
Tom Steyer: 42% (16 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 29% (11 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 23% (9 delegates)
Amy Klobuchar: 6% (0 delegates)

Citing her inability to win over non-white voters, Senator Amy Klobuchar leaves the presidential race leaving the final 3, Steyer, Harris, and Warren, set in place to fight it out in South Carolina and the Super Tuesday states.

South Carolina Primary:
Tom Steyer: 39% (21 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 37% (20 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 24% (13 delegates)

The Harris campaign was furious, to say the least. Senator Harris knew it would be a tough fight in South Carolina, but deep down she always thought she had it in the bag. Sean Clegg, Senator Harris's senior advisor, thought it was time to end the campaign. But Harris's sister Maya, the campaign chair, and Juan Rodriguez both agreed to keep pushing through to Super Tuesday to fight it out in California. This was rare as both Juan and Maya frequently disagreed on the direction to take the campaign, but for once they agreed, they push to Super Tuesday. Meanwhile, the Warren campaign is disappointed as well. Of the active candidates, Warren is in a close 3rd place and was depending on bolstering her appeal to African Americans, particularly African American women. The Steyer campaign was shocked, as was Mr. Steyer, and his supporters could tell in his short victory speech:

Thank you, South Carolina! We did it folks! Wow...wow! With tonight's victory, we are finally able to say that we are the frontrunners! For months, the media and the establishment have been writing us off as a billionaire's attempt at buying the presidency. Tonight we showed, that couldn't be further from the truth. Thank you all for your votes, now let's go on to Super Tuesday!

Delegate Count:
Tom Steyer: 54
Kamala Harris: 45
Elizabeth Warren: 39
Amy Klobuchar: 9
Pete Buttigieg: 8
Tulsi Gabbard: 0

(Candidates in bold represent candidates still in the running, those not in bold are no longer running)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »

Hopefully Tom got to say hi to Bernie in the hospital.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:55:40 PM »

Hopefully Tom got to say hi to Bernie in the hospital.

Yeah good ok.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:45:01 PM »

Super Tuesday Results
Image from Wikimedia Commons
Wolf Blitzer: Good evening everyone and welcome to CNN's coverage of Election Night in America. Over the last few weeks, we've seen the remaining Democratic presidential candidates crisscross the nation, making their case to Democrats and Independents on why they are the best candidate to run against President Donald Trump. Only three remain: billionaire businessman Tom Steyer, California's junior Senator Kamala Harris, and Massachusetts's senior Senator Elizabeth Warren. All eyes are on Steyer after his surprise over-performances in Nevada and South Carolina, his supporters hope that he can carry that momentum into the Super Tuesday states. Meanwhile, Senator Kamala Harris is banking on a decisive win in her home state of California while fending off a challenge by fellow Californian Tom Steyer. Senator Elizabeth Warren is feeling good tonight after an endorsement by former candidate Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders who's hoping to consolidate progressive support in the northeast and in the west. We have our results, and here they are:

Alabama:
Tom Steyer: 42% (22 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 40% (21 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 17% (21 delegates)

American Samoa:
Tom Steyer: 50% (3 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 33% (2 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 17% (1 delegate)

Arkansas:
Tom Steyer: 45% (14 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 39% (12 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 16% (5 delegates)

California:
Kamala Harris: 34.9% (145 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 33.7% (140 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 31.3% (130 delegates)

Colorado:
Elizabeth Warren: 38% (26 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 33% (22 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 28% (19 delegates)

Maine:
Elizabeth Warren: 42% (10 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 38% (9 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 21% (5 delegates)

Massachusetts:
Elizabeth Warren: 43% (39 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 30% (27 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 27% (25 delegates)

Minnesota:
Elizabeth Warren: 40% (30 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 39% (29 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 21% (16 delegates)

North Carolina:
Tom Steyer: 43% (47 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 42% (46 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 15% (17 delegates)

Oklahoma:
Tom Steyer: 46% (17 delegates) ✓
Elizabeth Warren: 32% (12 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 22% (8 delegates)

Tennessee:
Tom Steyer: 42% (27 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 41% (26 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 17% (11 delegates)

Texas:
Tom Steyer: 34% (78 delegates) ✓
Kamala Harris: 33% (76 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 32% (74 delegates)

Utah:
Elizabeth Warren: 45% (30 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 38% (29 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 17% (16 delegates)

Vermont:
Elizabeth Warren: 50% (9 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 38% (7 delegates)
Kamala Harris: 13% (0 delegates)

Virginia:
Kamala Harris: 42% (42 delegates) ✓
Tom Steyer: 30% (30 delegates)
Elizabeth Warren: 27% (27 delegates)

Wolf Blitzer: And there we have it, a good night for Mr. Steyer and Senator Warren. Meanwhile, Senator Harris narrowly winning her home state and also notching a win in Virginia by solidifying her support among African Americans in the state and getting support in the D.C. suburbs. Here's the map and the delegate count:

Delegate Count:
Tom Steyer: 537
Kamala Harris: 493
Elizabeth Warren: 452
Amy Klobuchar: 9
Pete Buttigieg: 8
Tulsi Gabbard: 0
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 01:29:03 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

BREAKING: HARRIS SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES STEYER
Image from Wikimedia Commons

Jake Tapper: Good afternoon and welcome to The Lead, I'm Jake Tapper. Right now, at the top of the hour we have breaking news. California Senator Kamala Harris just put out a video announcing she has decided to end her 2020 presidential campaign and is backing frontrunner, billionaire businessman Tom Steyer. This is a surprising move as Senator Harris was in 2nd place in the delegate count but simply couldn't see a path forward to the nomination. Here is Senator Harris:

(Kamala Harris's drop-out video is shown)

KH: Good afternoon, over the last year, I've been running for president. As a presidential candidate, one shared goal all of us have is to defeat Donald Trump. This morning, I made the difficult decision, but one that I think brings us closer to that goal. Today, I'm announcing that I'm suspending my presidential campaign. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life, but it's one I'm making for the good of our country, the party, and for our future. It's clear that I do not have a path to the nomination, and I will do anything in my power to help my good friend Tom Steyer in his journey to beat Donald Trump. To my supporters, I do not take this lightly, but we must beat Trump and it's clear that the people have picked Tom Steyer to take on Trump. Thank you for watching, and join Tom so we can finally beat Trump.

JT: Those are the final words from now-former presidential candidate Kamala Harris. In other news, President Trump has been spending the last few hours attacking the remaining three Democratic presidential candidates.

(Tweets made by faketrumptweet.com)

Transcript: Sad loser Tom Steyer says he's so rich, but believe me, I'm so much richer than him. I make billions and billions every month. The liberal fake news hasn't reported this, but I have a money pit in the White House that I jump into like Scrooge McDuck! #PoorSteyer

Transcript: KAH-MA-LA Harris is such a loser she can't even beat that poor guy @TomSteyer. Meanwhile, Pochahontas is losing BIG LEAGUE to that loser Tom Steyer. Such a winnable race that she's losing! She's almost as big of a loser as @MittRomney!

JT: We're also reporting that the unemployment rate is now the highest so far in the Trump presidency, now at 7.9%, the highest since 2012. If President Trump wins re-election, he'll join the small group of presidents to be re-elected with an unemployment this high, a group which includes Franklin Roosevelt and Barack Obama. The president's main argument of economic strength may be fading soon. We'll keep you updated. We also have news from Tom Steyer, reacting to Kamala Harris dropping out of the 2020 race, here's what his press release says: "I've known Senator Harris for a long time. She's a close friend. She's a patriot. She's a fighter and I'm honored to have her support. I thought it would be the perfect time to announce that if I'm given the honor to be nominated by the Democratic Party for President of the United States, I will pick a woman to be my Vice President." So there you have it, Kamala Harris is out, unemployment is up, and Tom Steyer has vowed to pick a female VP. Thank you all for choosing CNN, have a good day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies