Which centuries interest you the most? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which centuries interest you the most? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which century do you find the most interesting?
20th century

19th century

18th century

17th century

16th century

15th century

Middle Ages

Antiquity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Which centuries interest you the most?  (Read 1266 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

My first love historically is actually Western Europe's fourteenth century, which should tell you a lot about my morbid inclinations. Latterly I've become interested in the "short twentieth century" and in periods going further back into the Middle Ages and Antiquity. In East Asian history I'm interested in the seventh, twelfth, sixteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries.

I disagree with Beet that history ideally deals with matters not relevant to current politics. Current politics is still dealing with the fallout of events like the French Revolution and even the Spanish conquest of the Americas that are clearly "historical" by even the most stringent definition. The still-extant cultural and political fault line between Western and Eastern/Northern Japan is discussed in the Tale of the Heike! I do agree that there's a certain mystique to events that no one now alive remembers, but even with events like World War II that are still well within the memory of very elderly people there's a danger of engaging in mythopoeia rather than history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies