Which centuries interest you the most? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:59:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which centuries interest you the most? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which century do you find the most interesting?
20th century

19th century

18th century

17th century

16th century

15th century

Middle Ages

Antiquity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Which centuries interest you the most?  (Read 1293 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: June 13, 2020, 12:07:07 AM »

The relatively short 20th century (1914-1989) is probably the era I have read the most about, and answering something other than it is a lie, but I share HenryWallace's fondness for the Early Modern period, especially the period where the vast expansions of Russian and British power have begun (with the ascension of Peter the Great and the Glorious Revolution in England; I think the period from 1688 to something like 1763 is among the most fascinating eras in history, though that can be stretched out to like 1815).

Rather than the Peace of Westphalia or the French Revolution, I've often felt that 'modern' history to some extent begins in the late 1680s, with 1688-9 in many ways featuring the beginning of the buildup that led to the Cold War between what were fairly obviously the successors of the early modern Russian Empire and the early modern British Empire. I think the discovery of calculus and publication of the Principia are an underrated turning point; after this point you start seeing various low-hanging fruit in progress (like the flying shuttle, or smelting with coke, or livestock inbreeding) falling and people truly believing that the human condition is not static, which is the absolute bedrock of an attitude towards life that can be called 'modern' in some way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies