Which centuries interest you the most? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:56:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Which centuries interest you the most? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which century do you find the most interesting?
20th century

19th century

18th century

17th century

16th century

15th century

Middle Ages

Antiquity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Which centuries interest you the most?  (Read 1280 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: May 31, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »

Probably the 19th century for me.  The Industrial Revolution is arguably the most important phenomenon in world history since the invention of writing, and it's really fascinating to read about its economic, political, and social effects.

And there was plenty of other stuff going on, e.g. the Napoleonic Wars, the unification of Italy and Germany, the rise of Japan, the colonization of most of the Eastern Hemisphere by European powers, the Latin American wars of independence, the expansion of the U.S., and (perhaps most interesting for me) the development of proto-democracies and new ideologies. Also, kind of like what Beet said, the historical distance between us and the 19th century is really interesting in that it's close enough to see lots of parallels, and yet far enough away for us to develop more of an historical perspective. Really the only thing that's missing is that there wasn't enough Poland.

I tend to be interested in the Middle Ages the least, I think partly because a lot of the centuries and individuals kind of blend together for me, and partly because I have less of a frame of reference given the lack of the U.S.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies