2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:55:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 65505 times)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »

You guys need a life beyond polling lol

These are striking visuals.

Agreed! Just not in the way you think.
kyc0705

« Reply #651 on: June 01, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »

The current chyron on CNN:

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #652 on: June 01, 2020, 06:23:26 PM »

That was a fantastic speech from Trump. Also perfect triangulation.

Meh. I give Little Donnie a C+ on his speech. It was obvious he really liked the parts where he talked about violence, but he needs to learn how to deliver a speech instead of just reading it. He also needs to go potty before class so that he doesn't have to do the pee-pee dance while he's speaking.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #653 on: June 01, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »

lol, people still buy into the "law and order" schtick with Trump.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #654 on: June 01, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »

Today is the day when Trump finally became mayor Daley.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #655 on: June 01, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »

Polls suggest he's losing ground because of the protests. He's failing.

If you’re going to call something a political winner and polling says otherwise then of course it will be mentioned on a political forum. Also with all due respect you seem to be interpreting how suburbs will react to this through your personal bias and your kinda a massive racist with a lust authoritarian governance so your view might be skewed here
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #656 on: June 01, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »

If you’re going to call something a political winner and polling says otherwise then of course it will be mentioned on a political forum. Also with all due respect you seem to be interpreting how suburbs will react to this through your personal bias and your kinda a massive racist with a lust authoritarian governance so your view might be skewed here

Trust me, if you heard half of what I've heard from Cleveland/Akron 20-40 yr olds, mostly women, they'd be banned for "hatefulness".

It's not playing well. Perhaps with college kids and African Americans.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #657 on: June 01, 2020, 06:34:00 PM »

Trust me, if you heard half of what I've heard from Cleveland/Akron 20-40 yr olds, mostly women, they'd be banned for "hatefulness".

You need to find a new social circle.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #658 on: June 01, 2020, 06:34:44 PM »

Trump now reminds me of some of the scenes in Der Untergang where Hitler is cowering in his bunker as Soviet artillery pounds the city.

It has to be said, its immensely satisfying watching someone get a heavy dose of cognitive dissonance as they try to ponder how someone so invincible and infallible like themselves could be relegated to such a reality.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #659 on: June 01, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »

People going on racist rants ≠ automatically approving of how Trump handles this. If he could tone down his rants and appear like a uniter, he wouldn't be getting these numbers in polls.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #660 on: June 01, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »

Considering how far to the right Ohio is now to the other rust belt states let alone the nation that doesn’t really say much
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #661 on: June 01, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »

Hey guys, I'm really starting to think Trump is a bad person and president.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #662 on: June 01, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »

So far he's been all talk and no action, so I expect nothing to come from this. However, there is nothing wrong with him threatening to use the military to protect citizens from violence and barbarism.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #663 on: June 01, 2020, 06:45:03 PM »

There’s no doubt Trump has solidified his standing in history as one of America’s worst presidents. I take some comfort in knowing that the history books will remember him appropriately.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #664 on: June 01, 2020, 06:47:11 PM »

So far he's been all talk and no action, so I expect nothing to come from this. However, there is nothing wrong with him threatening to use the military to protect citizens from violence and barbarism.

It’s a little hypocritical to say that after ordering police to use tear gas on a peaceful, legal protest.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #665 on: June 01, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »

It’s a little hypocritical to say that after ordering police to use tear gas on a peaceful, legal protest.

It really is coming across that he is viewing American citizens as actively antagonistic by default. This is not the way to de-escalate internal conflict and, as always with Trump, will make things worse. Oh right, it's all part of his 4D chess strategy, right?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #666 on: June 01, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 06:58:35 PM by 10 minutes into Lysol, Tidepod, and chill.. »

There will be nothing but violence and barbarism if his legacy is a nation propped up by bullets. Those who live by the sword die by the sword!

I mean, what if he's not joking and we end up with dozens of dead, hundreds of injured, and thousands of arrested protestors?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #667 on: June 01, 2020, 06:54:44 PM »

Hundreds of marchers just went up my street. I walked down to the sidewalk and took it all in. They were peaceful but were blocking traffic. Overall no harm/no foul, but stay the hell out of the street. The vast majority of them were white, fwiw.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #668 on: June 01, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »

The Episcopal bishop of DC, who oversees the St. John's Church is furious at Trump:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #669 on: June 01, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »

There’s no doubt Trump has solidified his standing in history as one of America’s worst presidents. I take some comfort in knowing that the history books will remember him appropriately.

It depends on who writes them
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #670 on: June 01, 2020, 07:20:55 PM »

Regardless of arguing semantics between "violent" or "peaceful" protests, they will all be under the terror of military force due to Trump's actions. Absolutely shameful.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #671 on: June 01, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »

So, as has been discussed previously on this thread frequently certain items such as "street clashes", "looting", and various other items tend to predominate in an era where Social Media and Media Organizations in general tend to focus on the visuals.

When I refer to this movement as "an uprising", it is important to also include simply the vast breadth and depth of protests taking place across the United States of America, the vast majority of which have been predominately peaceful, and some of which have ended up turning into scattered incidents of minor vandalism met with a disproportionate law enforcement response, combined with "righteous rage" in some localities, where even attempts to peacefully block freeways has been met in many localities with rubber bullets and tear gas.

Honestly I don't know at this point how many cities within the United States have seen significant demonstrations over the past 6-7 days, because even trying to track this data in a spreadsheet and code activities when it comes to # of participants, dates, use of tear gas / rubber bullets by law enforcement, looting, use of projectiles against law enforcement, civil disobedience, etc, but at this point is likely fast approaching 200 places (if not significantly more).

Here's a brief sampler:

Alabama:   Auburn, Birmingham, Gadsden, Hoover, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa

Alaska:   Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau

Oregon:   Portland, Salem, Eugene, Bend, Medford, Corvallis, Ashland,

You could Google Maine Protests and find a bunch of Cities and Towns....

Point is that there are continuing to be large demonstrations that are overwhelmingly peaceful occurring in every corner of the United States, and regardless of the attempts of Trump to divide and conquer, many local PDs with histories of systematic abuse against minority populations, we will not allow the attempt to "divide and conquer", what is fundamentally a movement risking their lives to take to the streets, to try to effect change where a have a broken political system that has been bailing out the 1%, while meanwhile eviction orders are getting served, many workers not eligible nor have received their "extra $$$" while filing for unemployment, watching the deaths and sufferings of family and relatives at the hands of COVID-19....

We are seeing journalists attacked in the streets of America, even one blinded at the hands of a rubber bullet, by what appeared this past weekend to be frequently scenes of an over-militarized police force over-reacting in many cases.

On the other side, we are increasingly witnessing scenes of Mayors, Police Chiefs, and uniformed Officers throughout the United States marching with Demonstrators, taking the knee in solidarity....

The movement will not stop because of a massive "law and order" over-reaction, to what has overwhelmingly been peaceful protest....

Attempts to blame violence on the hands of "shadowy non-existent organizations" from both the Administration, as well as even in many places Democratic Government Officials, will not get anyone anywhere, since apparently every single city in the United States that has experienced unrest has been at the hands of "outside agitators".

Oldest trick in the book the goes way back looking at the Labor Movement of the 1910s, Civil Rights Movement of the '50s/'60s, Anti-Vietnam War Movement of the '60s/'70s etc....

SOLIDARITY FOREVER!!!

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #672 on: June 01, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #673 on: June 01, 2020, 07:31:54 PM »

I don't know how you could argue in good-faith that any of this is good for Trump.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #674 on: June 01, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »

It really is coming across that he is viewing American citizens as actively antagonistic by default. This is not the way to de-escalate internal conflict and, as always with Trump, will make things worse. Oh right, it's all part of his 4D chess strategy, right?

I don't know about the 4D chess part, but abusing his power/priviledge/status to provoke those with less so that he can justify abusing them more seems perfectly in character for a cowardly bully like Republican Leader Donald Trump.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies