1968: Nixon vs. Kennedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:16:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Nixon vs. Kennedy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 1968: Nixon vs. Kennedy  (Read 2847 times)
johnpressman
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2020, 02:46:03 PM »
« edited: August 02, 2020, 10:15:05 AM by johnpressman »

Sorry, Millennial Moderate, I am getting my info from firsthand knowledge. To refer to my earlier post, I was a teenager living in N YC in 1968 and was very aware and involved in politics in that year.  Many of today's young people lack the ability to understand historical perspective.

America was a very different place in 1968, much more conservative and family-oriented in that our WW2 and Korean War veterans were in their prime years then. True, RFK was  popular among minorities, but young liberals were split between him and Eugene McCarthy.  Remember, Kennedy joined the race for the Democratic nomination for President only after McCarthy had shown that LBJ was vulnerable.  Many potential supporters considered RFK a self-serving opportunist and would never support him for the nomination.  You may overlook that in 1968, the voting age was 21, making many college students unable to participate in the election that year. Most working-class whites and blacks supported our country's efforts in the  Vietnam war, as Nixon and Wallace garnered over 57% of the total vote for President in 1968. The majority of Americans continued their support for the war through 1972, evidenced by Nixon's landslide victory over peace advocate George McGovern, even with the voting age lowered to 18 the previous year.

You seem to want to add RFK's appeal to Humphrey's totals to declare him the victor in 1968.  Unfortunately, politics is not a zero-sum game. LBJ worked hard for Humphrey but would reverse-course if Kennedy, whom he hated, was the nominee. The enmity of a sitting President and the powerful leader of the Democratic Party would, in itself, ensure RFK's defeat.  It is not hard to imagine Johnson enlisting J. Edgar Hoover's participation to embarrass Kennedy.

One must also subtract organized labor from Kennedy's vote totals and fundraising efforts. Unlike today, organized labor was a very strong political factor in 1968 and was a significant part of Humphrey's base. Union leaders, however, hated RFK for his aggressive and humiliating questions investigating the Teamsters and his participation in ending the US Steel strike. Even Kennedy's appeal among minority voters has to be discounted as it is hard to envision any stronger support for RFK then that was shown in 1968 for Humphrey.  Hubert Humphrey had much more credibility with black Americans in 1968 than Kennedy. It was Mayor of Minneapolis Humphrey's brave speech on civil rights to the 1948 Democratic Convention that hastened the walkout of the "Dixiecrats" leading to Strom Thurmond's State's Rights Party and his candidacy for President that year. Lastly, Mayor Daley of Chicago, being a loyal Democrat and close to President Johnson makes it inconceivable that he would have broken with LBJ to support Kennedy.

The veneration for long-dead politicans may be admirable, but any effort to understand the politics of over 50 years ago with only the perspective of today's electorate is limiting. RFK would not have won the nomination nor have beaten Nixon in 1968.  I urge anyone interested in the Presidential Election of 1968 to read James Rogan's excellent book  "On To Chicago" which depicts the scenario: What if RFK lived?.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 02:52:43 AM »

As much as I love RFK, I don't see him winning even as much as HHH did. LBJ and Wallace would be serious hurdles for RFK to overcome, and that's not even factoring in Nixon. Definitely a '72 or '76 candidate.

Now is there a path for RFK? I think so, I think that RFK fits the political climate of the time well, but also RFK has so many factors working against him that it's a very good chance that he loses more than Humphrey.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 07:56:49 PM »

Robert Kennedy/Running Mate: 311 electoral votes and 42% of the popular vote
Richard Nixon/Spiro Agnew: 174 electoral votes and 41% of the popular vote
George Wallace/Curtis LeMay: 53 electoral votes and 17% of the popular vote

California, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio and New Jersey are all really really close. (less than 2% in all of these) But Kennedy sweeps all of these states allowing him to win a comfortable electoral college majority.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »

Wallace picks up the rest of the south and a few border states, forcing the election to the House.

A divided Democratic Party leads to the election of Nixon by the House, with RFK's running mate (probably Eugene McCarthy) narrowly beating out Agnew in the Senate.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »

I think RFK would do a hell of a lot better then Humphrey in the Northeast and Midwest, but he’d definitely do worse in the South. He’d win over enough Northern swing states to force the election to go into the House of Representatives where Kennedy would be elected president. He would probably win the popular vote.

Nixon/Agnew: 248 EVs (40.8%)
Kennedy/Symington: 224 EVs (43.4%)
Wallace/LeMay: 66 EVs (15.6%)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies