An apology.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:31:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  An apology.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An apology.  (Read 592 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »

BRTD;

As much as I'm annoyed at a number of things surrounding the handling of this, including the now deleted comment you made, it's important to let people feel how they feel, right now, particularly if it affects somewhere they live. You can't police how people feel. Raw emotion is a valid thing to have.

I do hope you and the people you know stay safe.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:10 AM »

I like the idea of apologizing but I just feel like it needs clarified that BRTD is much more of a victim of raw emotion (obviously, with his neighborhood being obliterated) than you are and I'm not sure that's fairly accounted for here. People have died, livelihoods have been lost. It's a tough situation, I'd probably consider rewording some things if you want it to reach him effectively.

I don't believe I am the victim here.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 04:19:00 AM »

I like the idea of apologizing but I just feel like it needs clarified that BRTD is much more of a victim of raw emotion (obviously, with his neighborhood being obliterated) than you are and I'm not sure that's fairly accounted for here. People have died, livelihoods have been lost. It's a tough situation, I'd probably consider rewording some things if you want it to reach him effectively.

I don't believe I am the victim here.
Sorry, I must have misinterpreted part of your statement. I'm going to delete that post.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 04:27:41 AM »

What's going on
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »

Alright thank you.

Most can see I have some issues holding in my emotions but this is a particularly notable case.

When most people see those images on the news they're seeing just pics of destroyed and damaged buildings. I don't see that. These are very recognizable places, that I see weekly and have much experience in. It's not the same thing as seeing a damaged building in a Wikipedia article. I don't think anyone can really grasp this until such a thing happens to them in somewhere they have a direct connection to.

I hope people can consider this when they post.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »

Alright thank you.

Most can see I have some issues holding in my emotions but this is a particularly notable case.

When most people see those images on the news they're seeing just pics of destroyed and damaged buildings. I don't see that. These are very recognizable places, that I see weekly and have much experience in. It's not the same thing as seeing a damaged building in a Wikipedia article. I don't think anyone can really grasp this until such a thing happens to them in somewhere they have a direct connection to.

Perhaps relevant insight from X in another thread (that I connected to this dispute back when he posted it yesterday):

On a more serious note, I'd argue that the biggest Atlas blindspot is that folks here [all of us, myself included] sometimes forget when we're mad or just even annoyed with another poster forget that we're talking with another human being and not just an emotionless bot.  That's always been a problem with the internet tbh: b/c folks know they'll probably never meet, it's easier to depersonalize contentious exchanges and fall into the trap of forgetting that sometimes glib one-liners or low energy attempts to be edgy can be genuinely and legitimately hurtful to other posters in a way the person who made the offending post may not have truly intended. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »

Alright thank you.

Your emotions are totally understandable. If something like this was happening in my city, I'd be pretty emotional too.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »

While everyone involved seems to be moving on from this which is nice, I should point out that normally bringing a beef from AAD to here will not be tolerated, I have been a bit distracted lately so I did not get on it quick enough which is my bad i guess.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »

Circumstances like this tend to generate vivid emotion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies