Vermont Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:03:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vermont Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Author Topic: Vermont Megathread  (Read 35558 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »

Phil Scott is not running against Leahy

Maybe not. But if Leahy ends up retiring, then Scott has laid the groundwork to pull the same strategy that Dems have using in Arizona since 2018, claiming to be closer to the values and legacy of McCain than their GOP opponents (I'm sure that line got used in the 2018, 2020 Senate races, as well as the 2020 presidential race).

He can say he's honouring "the spirit of bipartisanship, embodied by my predecessor" and all that kind of stuff.

I'm not saying it would work, but it definitely seems like a strategy. Just depends now whether Leahy wants to run again at 82.

On a side note: does America really need a third Senator Scott? You've already got two (SC, FL).
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »

On a side note: does America really need a third Senator Scott? You've already got two (SC, FL).
I'd gladly trade Rick Scott for Phil Scott.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »

I'd gladly trade Rick Scott for Phil Scott.
Oh, me too, without hesitation - as long as we get Nelson back as part of the deal.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 10:12:50 AM by KaiserDave »

Phil Scott is not running against Leahy

Maybe not. But if Leahy ends up retiring, then Scott has laid the groundwork to pull the same strategy that Dems have using in Arizona since 2018, claiming to be closer to the values and legacy of McCain than their GOP opponents (I'm sure that line got used in the 2018, 2020 Senate races, as well as the 2020 presidential race).

He can say he's honouring "the spirit of bipartisanship, embodied by my predecessor" and all that kind of stuff.

I'm not saying it would work, but it definitely seems like a strategy. Just depends now whether Leahy wants to run again at 82.

Interesting point, definitely worth thinking about. But I only did say that he won't run against Leahy should Leahy seek re-election.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »

Leahy isn't really that moderate though, he endorsed Bernie in 2020.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2021, 12:36:26 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 12:47:13 PM by KaiserDave »

Leahy isn't really that moderate though, he endorsed Bernie in 2020.

Leahy isn't a moderate at all yeah. He's a FISA Warrant Hawk (as in he's very suspicious of them), has criticized US aid to certain IDF units, supports humanitarian aid to Palestine, opposed the Iraq War, has called for an end to the death penalty, major prison reform, and has been quite liberal on economic issues of the day.

He's so cool. He's also in every Batman movie.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2021, 12:42:51 PM »

I really don't think Scott will run for Senate. He can be Governor for life if he wants, he'll never face a competitive election unless he messes up big time. Why would he throw that away for a longshot Senate bid? Especially when he'll be forced to take tough votes and be forced to take stances on national issues that he can mostly ignore as Governor. Not to mention, he's already in his 60s, meaning he could only serve a max of like 3 terms, meaning he'll never have the chance to chair any powerful committees, especially when he probably wouldn't have a great relationship with the GOP Senate leadership. A Senate run makes no sense for him from a career perspective.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 12:54:58 PM by KaiserDave »

I really don't think Scott will run for Senate. He can be Governor for life if he wants, he'll never face a competitive election unless he messes up big time. Why would he throw that away for a longshot Senate bid? Especially when he'll be forced to take tough votes and be forced to take stances on national issues that he can mostly ignore as Governor. Not to mention, he's already in his 60s, meaning he could only serve a max of like 3 terms, meaning he'll never have the chance to chair any powerful committees, especially when he probably wouldn't have a great relationship with the GOP Senate leadership. A Senate run makes no sense for him from a career perspective.

I would largely agree with you. Running for Senate doesn't make much sense, especially, he probably loses (although it's possible he thinks he could win due to his landslide). Although I am also skeptical he would serve as Governor for more than 8 years. We'll have to see.

There's also the chance he pulls a Jeffords and runs for Senate, although there is little evidence for that (but there is some).
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »

The state is only democratic because Patrick Leahy is propping up the entire democratic bench in the state, the rest of them are just flunkies or else like Howard Dean turned into annoying twitter people. The state remaining democrat is just a product of bad feelings from the bush administration regarding overt religiosity, once he's out of the office the state is destined to become titanium R like all Rural White areas are doomed to become.

You're either kidding or delusional
Look at the 2020 gubernatioral race map from the state, the dems are doomed long-term. Soon the entire state will be controlled by Phill Scott.

By that logic Massachusetts is destined to become titanium R based on Charlie Baker's similarly lopsided 2018 map.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »

The state is only democratic because Patrick Leahy is propping up the entire democratic bench in the state, the rest of them are just flunkies or else like Howard Dean turned into annoying twitter people. The state remaining democrat is just a product of bad feelings from the bush administration regarding overt religiosity, once he's out of the office the state is destined to become titanium R like all Rural White areas are doomed to become.

You're either kidding or delusional
Look at the 2020 gubernatioral race map from the state, the dems are doomed long-term. Soon the entire state will be controlled by Phill Scott.

By that logic Massachusetts is destined to become titanium R based on Charlie Baker's similarly lopsided 2018 map.
And we shouldn't forget that Arkansas, Tennessee and Wyoming are Safe D states by now thanks to Mike Beebe's, Phil Bredesen's and Dave Freudenthal's landslides.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »

I just read that Patrick Leahy's predecessor was also the most senior senator in the country at the time of his retirement. He was first sworn in, in 1941. That seems crazy to me.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »

I just read that Patrick Leahy's predecessor was also the most senior senator in the country at the time of his retirement. He was first sworn in, in 1941. That seems crazy to me.

It's absolutely bonkers. And Leahy's predecessor was George Aiken, a fantastic Senator and even better Governor.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »

It's absolutely bonkers. And Leahy's predecessor was George Aiken, a fantastic Senator and even better Governor.

If all Republicans were like Vermont Republicans, this country would be in much better shape. Vermont didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left them.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2021, 12:34:44 PM »

If all Republicans were like Vermont Republicans, this country would be in much better shape. Vermont didn't leave the GOP, the GOP left them.

"True conservation provides for wise use by the general public. The American people do not want our resources preserved for the exclusive use of the wealthy. These land and water resources belong to the people, and people of all income levels should have easy access to them."-George Aiken

Disgraceful RINO!!!! AGhHHhhH
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2021, 09:15:33 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2021, 09:37:05 PM by KaiserDave »

https://vtdigger.org/2021/01/26/watch-live-gov-phil-scotts-2021-budget-address/

https://www.wcax.com/2021/01/26/governor-to-deliver-virtual-budget-address/

Perhaps less seen with all the news about Senator Leahy, something very important happen in Vermont politics today. Governor Scott delivered his budget address. The expected budget shortfall as a result of COVID related blows was erased and then some by federal stimulus cash. Scott's Budget had no tax increases (no Scott budget has), and made hundreds of millions in one time investments in infrastructure, broadband, 1.89 billion each for Pre-K-12 education and the general fund, and millions more for small businesses and other matters.

The State Legislature Democrats appear generally on board.

Phil in many cases in making his mark as one of the state's most important, transformative, and long term impacting governors. Not something he expected in 2016 I'd bet.

See Cuomo, it's not that hard.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2021, 04:14:29 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 10:29:28 PM by KaiserDave »

https://suncommunitynews.com/news/86269/petition-calls-for-vt-gov-phil-scott-to-leave-the-gop/

https://vtdigger.org/2021/01/27/petition-calls-on-scott-to-leave-republican-party/

The Chair of the Essex County (VT's most conservative county, went to Trump by 11% and Scott by 59%) is circulating a petition for Phil Scott to leave the GOP. He's not alone in this regard, from the right and the left. While the state GOP leadership isn't supportive of this at all, when asked about this earlier Scott said he would consider it if the GOP continued with what he sees as "white supremacy' and "racial inequity."

I'd watch for some action here.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2021, 04:28:51 PM »

I'm surprised Phil has not drawn a serious primary challenger. In 2018, Charlie Baker just won with 64% in the Republican primary against an unknown right-wing pastor. That's less than his vote share in the general election.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2021, 04:34:22 PM »

I'm surprised Phil has not drawn a serious primary challenger. In 2018, Charlie Baker just won with 64% in the Republican primary against an unknown right-wing pastor. That's less than his vote share in the general election.

That Pastor wasn't unknown I'm afraid. He helped author the Ugandan "kill the gays" law. Which makes it even crazier he got such a total of votes.

I am also amazed at how Scott has beaten back his challengers. First, Keith Stern in 2018 who had the momentum of the pro gun backlash, and then John Klar in 2020 with a fully Trumpized GOP.

But consider this, in Vermont there is no partisan registration. You can pull a Democratic or Republican ballot. I suspect thousands of Vermont Democrats pull Republican ballots to keep Phil in. And you know, in 2020, thousands of Vermont Democrats and even 41 Vermont Progressives (good for 4.9% in that primary) wrote in Phil Scott on their ballots.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »

Vermont Democrats too. Both parties are genuinely great there.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what makes Vermont so much better politically than every other state. Development patterns?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2021, 10:56:56 PM »

:eyes:
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2021, 10:59:23 PM »

Howard Dean is basicaly a twitter sh**tposter when it comes to his political takes, amazing to think he was once the governor of Vermont and chair of the DNC.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:29 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 11:45:31 PM by KaiserDave »

Howard Dean is basicaly a twitter sh**tposter when it comes to his political takes, amazing to think he was once the governor of Vermont and chair of the DNC.

He's not completely wrong. Although it is an unfair generalization (but becoming more true sadly).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:30 PM »

For the record I don't think Scott changes parties OR runs for Senate. But we'll see.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2021, 12:08:13 AM »

Big brain move from VTGOP to oust their sole statewide officer. Has anyone in the LAGOP tried something similar with JBE lol
Flyersfan232

« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2021, 08:07:45 PM »

What ever happen to the 14 year old that got 8% of the d primary vote
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies