ME- Victory Geek (D): Gideon +9
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 Senate & House Election Polls
  ME- Victory Geek (D): Gideon +9
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: ME- Victory Geek (D): Gideon +9  (Read 2741 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:49:07 AM »

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/20200528_ME.pdf

Gideon   51
Collins    42

Favorables: Collins 45/51, Gideon 54/37
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:56:11 AM »

Is this a poll actually commissioned by 538? I can’t read the text of the write up on my phone for whatever reason
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 07:05:12 AM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Is this a poll actually commissioned by 538? I can’t read the text of the write up on my phone for whatever reason

They often upload the toplines for polls they didn't request after reaching out to those who did produce them but only released one figure or two.

Here's two other matchups from the same poll:

Betsy Sweet 44%
Collins 43%
Undecided 10%

Generic D 49%
Collins 39%
Undecided 12%

And the primary figures:

Gideon 64%
Sweet 17%
Undecided 19%

If Collins is doing this badly, Trump's figures are probably terrible. ME-AL is an overrated flip for Republicans; they can do it, but it's not going to be a tipping point state and is only worth defending for the NRSC.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 07:04:00 AM »

Since this is a D internal, the numbers are probably D-friendly. Still, I'm feeling better about our chances in this race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:24:55 AM »

A D internal does not make up for Gideon being up nearly *10 points* though. Collins is clearly in real big trouble.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 07:47:37 AM by Cory Booker »

Good news, so much for Rs saying that Collins is moderate enough to win reelection,  her vote to acquit Trump, just like Gardner backfired
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »

The takeaway here shouldn't just be "it's a D internal and the margin looks too friendly to Gideon." It's that with all the other information we know about this race (Collins' rapidly declining popularity, Gideon catching up to her and even leading her in some other polls, polarization in general, etc.) it's likely a safe bet that Collins is behind at the moment. Even when subtracting some points from Gideon she still leads. Also, Gideon surpassing 50 is good news for her.

This poll should be deeply troubling to Collins.

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »

This poll should be deeply troubling to Collins.

Hopefully, it's about as effective in getting her to change course as everything else that is "deeply troubling" to her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:18 AM »

The same D internal showed Bullock ahead of Daines by 7 pts and McConnell is running for reelection in and running ads on Cornyn, Daines and his behalf.

The Senate is lost since Ds have 51 seats already AZ, CO, ME, MT and NC leading in polls and the Dems wont even need a tiebreaker with GA runoff
JRP1994

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:31 AM »

Hope that furrowed brow while voting for Kavanaugh was fun, Susan
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »

Huh.  I guess I never realized that since 1972, the Democrats have only won TWO counties in elections for Maine's Senate Seat I (both were in 1996).

Anyway, while I would normally say "it's too far out to glean much from this poll", Maine is a special animal.  

If this poll was in, say, Arizona or even North Carolina, I would be wary.  But Collins' past election performances demonstrate that there was a non-negligible cohort of Democratic Presidential candidate/Susan Collins voters.  I can't see that being the case (or, at least, to such a large effect) in 2020.  If a voter is not willing to vote for Collins now, it's unlikely IMO that he or she will warm up to Miss Collins between now and November, especially on Trump's coattails ("You know? I was going to vote for Gideon, but since I'm voting for Trump, I'm going to vote for Collins.")  

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:20:54 AM »

Gideon is going to have tons of cash, too. Didn't she raise $7M last quarter, and none of that even includes the $4M+ she gets when she becomes the nominee from the online Kavanaugh fundraiser thing?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 08:22:40 AM »

Collins is going to be very disappointed with this poll.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »

Did anyone bother to read the results? This is one of the worst and laziest polls I've seen. It has Gideon doing better in the 2nd district than the 1st, and a 45 point age gap... a 45 point age gap between the Collins leading Gideon by 26 points with <30's and Gideon leading by 19 with >65's. The worst offender - no education breakdown, AT ALL. No presidential poll to compare/contrast. etc. It may as well be a fake poll.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »

Did anyone bother to read the results? This is one of the worst and laziest polls I've seen. It has Gideon doing better in the 2nd district than the 1st, and a 45 point age gap... a 45 point age gap between the Collins leading Gideon by 26 points with <30's and Gideon leading by 19 with >65's. The worst offender - no education breakdown, AT ALL. No presidential poll to compare/contrast. etc. It may as well be a fake poll.

You’re reading way too much into crosstabs.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »

Even if this has some D-bias, a pretty good lead for Gideon here. Hopefully we can beat annoying fake moderate Collins. Still having this as pure tossup.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »

That's your response? I'm trying to display how bad it's overall quality is to people who clearly believe any poll without reading it. This is not a bias problem but a credibility problem. It should be disregarded, completely. I can't believe I'm getting called out for being too detail-driven on a no life forum like this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 09:49:59 AM »

Elections Guy, and MT Treasurer thinks Ernst and Susan Collins are unbeatable Titans, we just to prove them wrong in Nov, when they both lose
Panda Express

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 09:54:29 AM »

This is one of the worst and laziest polls I've seen. It has Gideon doing better in the 2nd district than the 1st, and a 45 point age gap... a 45 point age gap between the Collins leading Gideon by 26 points with <30's and Gideon leading by 19 with >65's.

If you walk onto any college campus in Maine, you will see that the Che Guevara posters that once adorned the dorm walls have been replaced with Susan Collins posters.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »

That's your response? I'm trying to display how bad it's overall quality is to people who clearly believe any poll without reading it. This is not a bias problem but a credibility problem. It should be disregarded, completely. I can't believe I'm getting called out for being too detail-driven on a no life forum like this.

I am not calling you out for being detail-driven. I am merely pointing out that a lot of your problems with this poll (and several other polls you have trashed over the past several months) are related to crosstabs, which are inherently unreliable. Let’s take a look at the sample sizes of the crosstabs you pointed out:
CDs: not mentioned but if there’s a 53% CD-01/47% CD-02 split like 2016, we can say we have roughly n = 240 in ME-02, a margin of error of 6.3%. The CD-01 sample at 272 is at 5.9%. Given that the poll has Gideon only marginally doing better in CD-02 anyway, this is nowhere near significant.

Age: The under 29 sample is literally 66 people! That’s an MoE of over a dozen points! Even the 65+ crosstab has a margin of error of close to 8! You can virtually wipe out the age gap in this poll just factoring that in.

The lack of education breakdown is a valid concern especially in a state like Maine, I will agree with that. And I would have liked a Presidential poll although not having it there doesn’t make it a junk poll.
tagimaucia

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »

Crosstabs have massive margins of error and they should frequently show weird results, even in a high-quality poll. If anything, unless a poll has a unusually massive sample size, you should be suspicious of polls where the crosstabs look squeaky clean across the board and show exactly what you expect.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »

The keep doing the high quality polls in safe states, and then when a tossup race like Maine is polled, it's a D pollster Sad
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »

The keep doing the high quality polls in safe states, and then when a tossup race like Maine is polled, it's a D pollster Sad

McConnell is campaigning in both KY and MT, that's why the MT poll that showed Daines down by 7 was so devestating to Daines due to fact, Daines doesnt want to campaign on his own behalf, he is asking for McConnell to do it for him.

Biden is ahead nationally by 6 points that are pulling AZ, CO, ME, and MT to the D fold and hopefully NC, too
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »

Collins made a massive mistake putting herself front and center defending Kavanaugh.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »

polling this cycle in general so far has been surprisingly, and frustratingly, low
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies