Why did so many people think Biden would inevitably "collapse"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:14:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why did so many people think Biden would inevitably "collapse"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why did so many people think Biden would inevitably "collapse"?  (Read 1939 times)
EJ24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »

I remember this being a very common theme throughout 2019 and even in the early part of this year. I never quite understood it, Biden was in an extremely strong position due to being Obama's VP, since Obama has gained in popularity since his time in office. He also had higher name recognition than anyone in the field.

People assumed that Joe's gaffes would cost him votes. However, I think most people who have paid even the slightest attention to politics already knew about Joe being a gaffe machine and that's part of the package. It's not something severe enough to turn voters off.

Another thing was Biden supposedly "lacking enthusiasm". But just as Bernie Sanders proved, enthusiasm does not always translate into votes. You can have 10,000 people at a campaign rally, but if only 4,000 of them show up to vote, you can be out-voted by 30,000 others who sat at home that same day.

*knock on wood*

Now we're on to the general election, and he could still collapse, I suppose. But thus far we've seen him endure inappropriate touching allegations, Ukraine/Burisma, the Kamala Harris "bussing" attack, Tara Reade, fake claims about dimentia, and the "you ain't black" comment. He's a much stronger candidate than some give him credit for.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:12:27 PM »

I noticed it was mainly because he was getting bad media cycles, bad debates and was making gaffes on the campaign trail, with Buttigieg and Bloomberg getting more traction from debates and massive blitzing of the airwaves respectively allowed both to start rising in the polls while Sanders was beginning to consolidate the progressive vote. Biden was generally the "safe" choice and if people felt like they had better options they would have gone for that option.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »

Because they wanted him too.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »

Wishful thinking. I plead guilty lol
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »

Because he's clearly way less sharp than he was even four years ago. I'm not going to pretend Democrats chose someone who's especially fit to be president. Apparently skating by on decades of stockpiled goodwill is enough. Wonder why he was able to accumulate so much while the last, and obviously sharper, nominee was not...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »

Talk about this when it's January 20th, 2029 and he's still standing. Until then...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 10:35:00 PM »

I mean, really?  The guy seems like he has the early onset signs of dementia. Sad
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 10:35:47 PM »

I mean, really?  The guy seems like he has the early onset signs of dementia. Sad

Everyone I know who has had family members with dementia disagree.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:26 PM »

Glad to be an exception then.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 10:39:37 PM »

Friend, I honestly hope you are right.  Whatever his politics, I have no personal qualm with Joe Biden, and he seems like a decent enough guy (for a politician, of course ... I find it creepy to treat ANY politician as this great person).  However, my girlfriend is a nurse that used to care for the elderly, and I am choosing to believe her opinion on it.  Not that it should matter, but she is an avid supporter of his.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 10:52:17 PM »

I didn’t want him to win. Tongue
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 11:17:47 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 11:20:55 PM by SN2903 »

He will in September. He can't hide in his basement forever. He will be exposed by the Trump campaign.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 11:31:27 PM »

He will in September. He can't hide in his basement forever. He will be exposed by the Trump campaign.

January 19th: "Here's how President-elect Biden can still collapse."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 11:31:39 PM »

I mean look at him.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 12:08:57 AM »

I feel like there were too many comparisons to the GOP primary of 2016. The media and pundits focused too much on the rise of "The Left" with people like The Squad, Rose Twitter, and intraparty fighting. The overexposure of these groups has led many in America to believe that the Democrat activist base is much large than it really is.
tonyreyes89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »

Because he's clearly way less sharp than he was even four years ago. I'm not going to pretend Democrats chose someone who's especially fit to be president. Apparently skating by on decades of stockpiled goodwill is enough. Wonder why he was able to accumulate so much while the last, and obviously sharper, nominee was not...

agreed, he's been hidden due to the virus and I think his luck will eventually run out. We saw how lost he looked in that Breakfast club interview...
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 12:30:30 AM »

agreed, he's been hidden due to the virus and I think his luck will eventually run out. We saw how lost he looked in that Breakfast club interview...
Just because you say something doesn't make it true.
tonyreyes89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 12:32:36 AM »

lol his sponsored ads on YouTube where he talks into the front camera he looks lost too😂

Just because you say something doesn't make it true.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:25 AM »

There were a number of reasons to expect that he would fall apart and he probably would have had a compelling alternative appeared that could appeal to all of his base. Each of the alternatives had some problem with part or all of Biden's support base and as long as Biden's support wasn't taken away, he remained a default choice against Sanders. Ultimately, maintaining strong black support was the key to his revival and once he dominated SC, the support that wavered surged back along with a number of others determined to stop Sanders.

A good validation for this point is the fact that Bloomberg got in. He would never have got in if he had faith in Biden's ability to win and defeat Sanders. His getting in showed a complete lack of confidence motivating him to take the plunge.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »

Dems have had Wilson, FDR, Truman LBJ, Clinton and Obama reelected and there have been alot more R Prez. The Rs didn't change much since the 19th Century. but Ds have become the Secular party on Civil Rights.  

Raising taxes which were pinned on Gore, Kerry and Hilary is still tough to do, even in a Recession and Biden like Kerry and Carter and Mondale isnt a Great Communicator like his boss Obama, that's why he commits gaffes like Kerry.

That's why Bernie had a deeper following due to no gaffes like Biden
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 03:54:49 AM »

He actually did collapse, and came back from the dead.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 04:00:09 AM »

Because he was much weaker in the polls than Hillary and had a lot more competition.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 05:04:16 AM »

I mean he did. He just got bailed out by South Carolina and Sanders being stubborn.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 05:23:48 AM »

Must've missed that 60 minute Colbert interview where was perfectly fine.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 06:17:56 AM »

I read some newspapers many people doubt Biden would repair all Trump's damages and he wouldn't have the energy to do it.

I got an interesting article.

All the next president’s men

Joe Biden may be an uninspiring candidate, but diplomats are hopeful his State Department would be a huge improvement.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/all-the-next-presidents-men/
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies