SENATE BILL: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:31:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act (Passed)  (Read 1658 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2020, 01:56:31 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act

As requested by Virginia, an Act to provide a description for the Atlas Fantasy Government board and creation of regional government sub boards.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

A formal request shall be made to the moderators of the Atlas Forum that:

1. The description added to the Atlas Fantasy Government Board should state:
"Government of the Republic of Atlasia, including the Atlasian House, Senate, Presidency and Supreme Court".

2. Sub boards should be created for each of Atlasia's regions under the Atlas Fantasy Government board to facilitate the passage of legislation and other proceedings of regional governments. Descriptions should be added to regional sub boards on the request of the corresponding regional government.

3. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board on or since June 9, 2016 should be allocated to the correct regional sub board.

4. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board before June 9, 2016 should be allocated to a sub board of the Atlasian Fantasy Government board named "Regional Governments Archive."

5. The description for the Regional Governments Archive should state:
"Archive of materials created by regional governments prior to the enacting of the Fourth Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia on June 9, 2016."

House of Representatives
Passed the House of Representatives 4-0-1-4

Sponsor: NC Yankee for the House and a Constituent
Senate Designation: SB24:09
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:12:35 PM »

I was requested by a Southern citizen to bring this up in the Senate directly, as such I have sponsor this on their behalf and the behalf of the House.

As you will recall the forum admin requested that we come up with board descriptions for the AFG board, and this bill is seeking to accomplish that objective and give her a response as to what we desire to put in said descriptions.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »

As it currently stands I would fully oppose this bill. I know what the moderators told us to do, but I think that forcing the categorization of the 3 regions into 3 separate boards is a VERY bad idea for 2 main reasons:

a) It essencially ties our hands for the entire future. I do not expect the 3 region scheme to go away any time soon, but what if we find ourselves in a situation where we would want to create a 4th region or restore the old 5 region scheme? Or if we wanted to, for some reason go down to 2 regions. Or if we wanted to rename the regions (the South has often discussed renaming itself to Jefferson).

I do not want to depend on the moderators for any government reforms, no matter how responsive they would be.

b) More importantly this bill would necessitate Yankee or Lumine to move a huge amount of bills to the appropiate subboards once they are created.

As it stands now, the Regional Governments board stands at 35 pages that were created after the reset. Do we seriously want Yankee/Lumine to have to manually move 35 pages worth of threads to their appropiate new boards. I certainly do not think it is a good idea.

I also like how all 3 regions share a single board and think the more boards you have the more complex and hard to follow things are; but I recognize I am in the minority here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »

Apparently, there is a way to move the threads via creating some kind of code based filter or something like that (not my area of expertise) but Virginia was the one who mentioned it and thus she would probably be the one that creates it.

As to the concern about changes in the future, the presumption is that with Virginia as admin such future changes would be more timely, whereas in the past once Dave did something it could be ten years before a change was made.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:33 PM »

Even if some kind of code filter can be created, I don't think it will ever be precise enough to avoid big manual changes. All 3 regions have also used several different schemes to name bills in the past as well, so there would be a lot of cleanup and filtering to do. (and that does not even account for the possibility of false positives!)

As for responsiveness, I know Virginia is a lot more responsive than Dave to requests, but still, how long into the future will that be true? Atlasia was created 16 years ago after all Tongue

I would rather not depend on Virginia for any changes to the future regional structure of Atlasia.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »

I fully support this bill and the idea of separate boards for each regional government.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »

I must be missing something here, but don't the three regional governments already have their own sub boards?  What would this change exactly?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »

I must be missing something here, but don't the three regional governments already have their own sub boards?  What would this change exactly?

As of now there is only a single "Regional Governments" board. This bill would (if Virginia allows) split that board into 4; 1 board for each of the regions, plus a 4th archive board for pre-reset regional stuff
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 12:30:32 AM »

If we were to ever add a 4th region, we could just create a new board. Or if we were to do another reset, we'd archive the boards of the 3 old regions. If responsitivity was an issue for some reason, 2 regions could probably agree to share a board if it came down to it. Ditto if a region was renamed, we could just use the name of the old region in the meantime.

I mean in regards to tack's 2nd point, if it's up to me, I'd be in fine of just archive the RG board and making 3 new child boards for the regions. It'd be annoying to find old bills but is that really that big of a deal? But if they're (and remember Virginia and Kal also could help) willing to put in the work, I don't think it's an issue.

Really this boils down to whether you, as a matter of personal preference, would prefer three boards for the regions or just one. Any other argument doesn't seem valid to me quite frankly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 11:07:00 PM »

For what is worth, I did PM Virginia asking if she could explain the process for how the split would work or could work anyway.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 12:02:26 AM »

Well that seems to have not worked for some reason.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »

Eh don’t bother Virginia.

I motion for a final vote since no one wants to go forward with this it seems and we can’t keep twiddling our thumbs.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »

Eh don’t bother Virginia.

I motion for a final vote since no one wants to go forward with this it seems and we can’t keep twiddling our thumbs.

I second the motion.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 05:25:38 AM »

I object because I want to introduce an amendment first even if I am 100% sure it will fail

I will try to have it ready today or tomorrow
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »

Ok here is the amendment I promised. I really should have introduced it a lot earlier and I apologize for it.

Atlas Fantasy Government Board Description Act

As requested by Virginia, an Act to provide a description for the Atlas Fantasy Government board and creation of regional government sub boards.

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

A formal request shall be made to the moderators of the Atlas Forum that:

1. The description added to the Atlas Fantasy Government Board should state:
"Government of the Republic of Atlasia, including the Atlasian House, Senate, Presidency and Supreme Court".

2. Sub boards should be created for each of Atlasia's regions under the Atlas Fantasy Government board to facilitate the passage of legislation and other proceedings of regional governments. Descriptions should be added to regional sub boards on the request of the corresponding regional government.

3. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board on or since June 9, 2016 should be allocated to the correct regional sub board.

4. All threads started in the Regional Governments sub board before June 9, 2016 should be allocated to a sub board of the Atlasian Fantasy Government board named "Regional Governments Archive."

5. The description for the Regional Governments Archive should state:
"Archive of materials created by regional governments prior to the enacting of the Fourth Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia on June 9, 2016."

Tbh I know everyone has made it clear that this is going ahead as-is and there is not really anything I can do to change this but whatever. If I was president I'd certainly veto the bill even if I knew said veto would get overridden.

And yes I know this gets rid of 80% of the bill but it's really me to keep the status quo as much as possible Tongue

If someone thinks of a compromise option, please tell me and I would almost certainly take it.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »

I object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »

A vote is now open on the amendment, Senators please vote aye, nay or Abstain.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »

Aye
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States