BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:42:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?  (Read 20183 times)
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2020, 02:02:47 PM »

Nah, I think that even white people are starting to get fed up with the cops getting off scot-free every time they kill a person, which is a privilege that most people, including those who are law-abiding gun owners defending themselves and their families, do not have.  I can personally attest to the fact that police brutality affects white people as well.  People are sick of being bullied and murdered by jackboots and would rather police themselves.

White privilege does not exist. In reality outside of your urban bubble, whites reject the term.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2020, 02:08:14 PM »

Nah, I think that even white people are starting to get fed up with the cops getting off scot-free every time they kill a person, which is a privilege that most people, including those who are law-abiding gun owners defending themselves and their families, do not have.  I can personally attest to the fact that police brutality affects white people as well.  People are sick of being bullied and murdered by jackboots and would rather police themselves.

White privilege does not exist. In reality outside of your urban bubble, whites reject the term.

Oh boy, it's big brain time.

You don't think racism exists? Are you out of your ing mind?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »

Racism exists. White privilege doesn't.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2020, 02:17:08 PM »

White people not experiencing racism is, by definition, privilege.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »

What are you talking about, it does exist. Whites have certain advantages that minorities don't have.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2020, 02:20:18 PM »

White people not experiencing racism is, by definition, privilege.

Racism is universal.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »

What are you talking about, it does exist. Whites have certain advantages that minorities don't have.

No we don't lol. Name one.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »

You're not American, so I wouldn't expect you to understand racism in America.

Here's some of the ways that whites had advantages

1. POC are routinely killed by police over nothing, while violent whites are somehow arrested without issue.

2. Public schools with majority/significant POC numbers receive less funding because it's tied to property taxes, which is itself tied to the racism of redlining.

3. Racial wage gap

I could go on and on, but it's clear you're not actually here for a conversation.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »

Most white and black people who aren't cops do not have the privilege of killing people without impunity.  It is thanks to groups like BLM that this is no longer becoming the case.  Also, most people who know me know that I'm a rural dweller at heart.

I am also one of the most anti-SJW leftists on this site.  Get your facts straight, Jack.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2020, 02:55:20 PM »

Probably not.

1) The public is not on the side of the officers involved.

2) Covid-19 will dominating the news waves regardless.

3) Biden does not exactly have a soft on crime record.

But this violence has to stop.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »

If you are white in the world, you have certain advantages over minorities. If you are a white South African from the 1800s-1994, you had certain advantages. Period.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »

The looters aren't protestors. Most of them were peaceful, the looters took advantage of the situation.

Like these guys were interviewed. They came to protect the protestors, now they're protecting the businesses.

I know these are probably militia types but in this case credit where it's due.

These guys were actually part of the protests themselves, they are just weirdo libertarians who are helping other people.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »

Advantages of blacks and whites in US society
Answer   Total   Dem   Rep
Whites have more advantages than blacks   46%   

Blacks have more advantages than whites   15%   

Neither has much advantage over the other   39%   

Sample: 32,885 Respondents

Minnesota exit poll

NO
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2020, 05:49:49 PM »

Mr. Madison Asker, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room on this forum is now dumber for having listened read to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
funjack73
Rookie
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »

The GOP is probably maxed out in rural areas.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »

The Democratic Party is maxed out in urban areas.

The suburbs will decide this.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 06:26:31 PM »

The Democratic Party is maxed out in urban areas.

The suburbs will decide this.

And Biden is absolutely destroying Trump in the suburbs
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »

Shame on you and all of the people here recommending this post. It's nonsense like this that reminds me of why I took my hiatus before. But at any rate, I don't think this is as ridiculous of a question as it sounds. In fact, serious scholars have produced work about the continuing effects which "law and order" rhetoric, white stereotypes and fears about minority crime, and the like have had on electoral outcomes. An example of such a study is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ssqu.12622.

While I do not think that this particular story will sway Minnesota into the Trump column, and I expect for Biden to improve in the Twin Cities metropolitan area, this horrific incident does help to expose real and continuing issues with our criminal justice system, and the manner in which the opposing parties have reacted to these problems.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2020, 07:15:49 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I admit that I am getting flashbacks to when similar circumstances occurred in 2016, but the absolute lack of leadership from Trump while this, an economic crisis, and a health crisis are all going on concurrently makes me think that it isn't necessarily going to benefit him. Not only that but, even in spite of the rioting (which always happens and is always a fringe offshoot of peaceful protests), this circumstance is a more cut-and-dry example of police brutality than usual. People tend to be uneasy by riots, and I wouldn't be surprised if some continue to prioritize property over the life of this unarmed black man, but it's out of a frustration that should be more palpable to people of any race in this circumstance.

It also might be too early for this to be ingrained in Minnesotan voters' minds by the time November comes around.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »

Yup the GOP is absolutely maxed out in a 99% white county that voted for Clinton
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:17 PM »

Why would this deliver MN to Trump when one of the main reasons college-educated whites are trending Democrat is because they believe Trump is inflaming racial tension? 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »

I honestly don’t think this will last long enough to affect the election. The news cycle just moves too fast these days. Remember how quickly we forgot about the lynching in Georgia, or the Tara Reade investigation. Plus, whereas 2016 was a relatively prosperous time when people had the luxury of being able to pay more attention to these events, we are bound for a recession this year due to Covid and people will be more worried about their own financial situation. Maybe if the protestors continue to wreak havoc and the protests continue and remain violent, then some trends in the MN suburbs will halt (but won’t really reverse) which could deliver MN to Trump in a really good year for him.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:41 PM »

No, this event itself won't deliver it, but it all adds up eventually.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »

Nobody is basing their November decision on this, no matter how much right-wingers want it to be true.

Yeah I do agree no large group will actually base their decisions on it but people probably aren't as sympathetic anymore once you just show those clips

I'll agree but add most people that are basing their decision to vote for Trump on this probably weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place--if anything it'll be used to turn out cons who might've stayed home.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2020, 09:53:28 PM »

Nobody is basing their November decision on this, no matter how much right-wingers want it to be true.

Yeah I do agree no large group will actually base their decisions on it but people probably aren't as sympathetic anymore once you just show those clips

I'll agree but add most people that are basing their decision to vote for Trump on this probably weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place--if anything it'll be used to turn out cons who might've stayed home.

I guess I'll rephrase, nobody at all is going to even remember this come November, except people directly impacted by the events.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies