What were the differences between Biden's and Buttigieg's public option plans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:35:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What were the differences between Biden's and Buttigieg's public option plans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What were the differences between Biden's and Buttigieg's public option plans?  (Read 164 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »

I know the primary's over, but I was reading an article about how Biden's public option plan was actually less ambitious than other 'moderate' alternatives to single-payer like those proposed by Buttigieg and O'Rourke:

The health care debate during the primary became a long dispute between Medicare-for-all supporters (Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren) and non-supporters (the other candidates, more or less).

That obscured the extent to which Biden’s plan was considerably less ambitious than other “moderate” plans from the likes of Pete Buttigieg and Beto O’Rourke. Their ideas would have created a new, beefed-up Medicare that competed directly with private insurance for non-elderly customers — likely taking advantage of Medicare’s administrative efficiencies and greater bargaining power to gobble up a huge share of the market.

Biden has proposed something more modest. His plan would add a public option to the Affordable Care Act exchanges, an old progressive proposal from the 2009 debate, which should lower costs for people shopping on the exchanges. But while Biden’s version of the public option will be formally open for anyone to join, in practice, the vast majority of Americans who haven’t reached retirement age would continue to get health care from their employers. There is seemingly no tax-efficient way for a company to shift employees into the exchanges.

Would one of our healthcare policy wonks help me understand what this means?  I had been under the impression that Biden's and Buttigieg's healthcare plans were very similar, as neither even allowed employer buy-ins and so work-based insurance would still be the norm for most Americans.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »

Why not read Biden's plan and make a judgement for yourself? It should have all the details you need to make a determination.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »

Why not read Biden's plan and make a judgement for yourself? It should have all the details you need to make a determination.

I did.  I don't see how it's different from or more moderate than Buttigieg's.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »

More or less the same, with some minor details that differed slightly: IIRC, the most tangible difference was that Buttigieg's would've capped out-of-network provider charges at double what Medicare would pay for the same service.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies