What misconceptions do people have about the state/district you live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:47:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What misconceptions do people have about the state/district you live in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What misconceptions do people have about the state/district you live in?  (Read 1536 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »

People think that Virginia is a pleasant place to live, but in reality it is the worst state to live in next to Florida.

Why do you say that?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 03:09:14 PM »

People think that Virginia is a pleasant place to live, but in reality it is the worst state to live in next to Florida.

Why do you say that?

Corrupt cops, mass crime, and the people who live here are cold and uncaring, to name a few.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 03:11:29 PM »

Why do you say that?

Corrupt cops, mass crime, and the people who live here are cold and uncaring, to name a few.

I found Virginia to be a lovely place and I like the work Northam and the legislature have done to modernize the state. I've never been anywhere outside of NoVA, though.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »

Why do you say that?

I found Virginia to be a lovely place and I like the work Northam and the legislature have done to modernize the state. I've never been anywhere outside of NoVA, though.

Just stay away from the Hampton Roads.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »

Oh, and the lack of legal cannabis is a huge check against any state.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »

That our state is filled with crazy people. Where do you think half of these Florida Man stories come from? I bet 50% of people in Florida Man stories are originally from Staten Island or Queens.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 03:21:36 PM »

That our state is filled with crazy people. Where do you think half of these Florida Man stories come from? I bet 50% of people in Florida Man stories are originally from Staten Island or Queens.

Can verify this is probably true
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 04:15:04 PM »

Probably that people associate Tennessee with Appalachia much more than it actually should be.  East Tennessee is very Appalachian, and you can argue that the Cumberland Plateau counties of Middle Tennessee (east of about Cookeville) are Appalachian too, but the majority of the state is not Appalachian at all, either in geography or culture.

To put it simply, Tennessee (especially west of the Cumberland Plateau) has much more in common with Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi than it does with West Virginia.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »

That everyone in Switzerland has a gun
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 05:09:13 PM »

People think Ohio isn’t the best state.  They are wrong Tongue
It ain't Kentucky, but it's probably second-best.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »

Half of people think that Virginia is as a Democratic as California and Hawaii and another half think its a highly contested swing state.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »

Long Island is not as right leaning as some think
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 10:35:56 PM »

That California is monolithically anything. It's so big and so diverse that any place or culture or worldview or landscape that is found in the USA can be found here. Sure, it's broadly liberal, but Los Angels County alone cast more ballots for Trump than ND+SD+MT. Anybody can find their niche here.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »

That everyone in Switzerland has a gun

Haha, that is really a thing?  Because that's awesome.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »

There's an actual reason for this reputation--Florida state law gives the public, and therefore media sources, more access to certain kinds of police records than in other states, so more Florida Man stories make the news.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »

There's an actual reason for this reputation--Florida state law gives the public, and therefore media sources, more access to certain kinds of police records than in other states, so more Florida Man stories make the news.

It's a great way to lure in Republicans who hate income taxes while keeping sane people away.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »

It's a great way to lure in Republicans who hate income taxes while keeping sane people away.

Maybe the joke is on the sane people, and Floridians are just living it up under the guise of carefully spaced out Florida Man stories. Smiley
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 12:40:36 AM »

That evangelical Christianity or gun rights or whatever is the guiding issue for suburban voters here. It's actually high school football.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »

There is a widespread belief that federal officeholders trump state officeholders, and that state officeholders trump local ones — that, for example, it’s the U.S. Representatives who are best-positioned to seek future statewide office, and that no one would ever take a “demotion” from the State Senate to serving as an alderman. Things in fact run in the opposite direction: Chicago runs the state and nobody cares who their congressman is.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »

Nebraska isn't flat, but the part the interstate crosses is so many travelers think so, they tell their non-traveler friends who just assume it's rows of corn as far as the eye can see, with not a hill or valley in site.  I can't see corn or cows from my house, mainly because there isn't any close, but also because of all the hills and trees.  We got more black people than, say, Portland.  We rarely see the horrors of meth or opioid addiction, at least not inside the city.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2020, 06:48:20 PM »

We aren't all lobster fishermen and/or borderline alcoholics... I mean most of us are, but not all.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 07:08:14 PM by L.D. Smith »

It is though, and I'd love to return one day!

As for me

Location A: Whatever John Dule wrote is probably wrong or grotesquely exaggerated.

Location B:  "Howdy" may be a common term, but we're just not all cowboys, some of us I dare say are engineers! Also, high school football is more important than anything else...including guns.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 11:19:36 PM »

Our state isn't 99% corn fields. It's 99% corn and soybean fields. Maybe an occasional windmill and small town with 50 people and one gas station. Get your facts straight.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »

Texas is not a place populated mainly by cowboys. I have always lived in Texas and I've never mounted a horse, personally seen anyone mount a horse, or been capable of doing such.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2020, 01:07:06 AM »

That people are backwards, uneducated, and on meth. Also, my state isn't nothing but corn and soybeans.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies