Personal Freedom Index
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:37:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Personal Freedom Index
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you rate your personal freedoms situation RIGHT NOW ?
90-100%
80-90%
70-80%
60-70%
50-60%
40-50%
30-40%
20-30%
10-20%
0-10%
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Personal Freedom Index  (Read 649 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »

How would you rate the status of your personal or country’s freedom right now ?

Aside from having to wear a mask in supermarkets and a few other minor issues, I’d say 94%.

I live in a democracy, went on a 4-hour mountainbike tour today (will post pictures later), can basically do whatever I want, will start working full-time again next Tuesday with full pay and don’t have a wife/girlfriend or kids to take care of.

What about you ?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »

I have to wear a mask when I go to the grocery store, so 0%.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »

60-70%, always room for improvement, and there's room for a lot of improvement in terms of freedom. That being said, Belgium is one of the best nations in the world in terms of freedom. I don't think there's politically a nation where I would prefer to live in, other than Belgium. Even the Netherlands have a worse education and healthcare system than us.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

In a country that legislates what i can or cannot do with my own uterus it's certainly not 100%
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »

70-80, and that score has not been changed much by the Covid.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »

100%, nobody around here gives a sh**t about anything lmao
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »

I don't know and I don't really care. I have enough to worry about as it is.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:10:18 AM »

98%, and that score is way too high.
We value some poorly conceived idea of “freedom” over everything else. Even when it’s life or death for hundreds of thousands, we irrationally cling onto the believe that pure freedom is somehow the best way.
70-85 is the target zone we should strive towards.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 04:15:44 AM »

We value some poorly conceived idea of “freedom” over everything else. Even when it’s life or death for hundreds of thousands, we irrationally cling onto the believe that pure freedom is somehow the best way.
This is just dumb.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »

This is just dumb.
Care to explain why?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »

This is just dumb.
Care to explain why?

You beep booped a number out of your rear end as an "ideal" amount of freedom. What does that even mean?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »

This is just dumb.
Care to explain why?

You beep booped a number out of your rear end as an "ideal" amount of freedom. What does that even mean?
Ideal amount of freedom is what I believe is the best amount of freedom we give.
This question is completely perceptual in nature so I gave my perceptual answer.
Besides, the entire question is asking you to beep-boop a number out of your rear, so I don’t see how this is any different.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 05:12:24 AM »

Honestly Forumlurker, I think you should just join the military or something if the concept of free will is this problematic for you. Your posts on this site clearly demonstrate that you are not comfortable with individualism, and perhaps the rigidity of the armed services could give you the structure that you need.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 05:22:51 AM »

Personally, I'm probably at 70%-80%: I'm able to criticize my government in the harshest terms possible and say everything I want to say. Economically, my parents are in a bad situation which constricts some freedom, but I myself is able to be self-sufficient and fairly stable, so I can do most things (and constrict myself to remain in this spot). The biggest problem derives from my sexual orientation- I cannot marry in my country, I have to seek surrogacy abroad and adoptions are very hard to do. Personally, the homophobia of my society and my parents' reluctance means that me and my boyfriend cannot do very, very basic things for couples- we can't hold hands or show affection publicly in many places, we can't visit each other's homes, we can't live together in many places without fear and more. There is the pandemic situation, which previously restricted some freedom (we've mostly opened up), but while it technically does this I was very supportive of these measures so I wouldn't say they harmed the score much.

However, I'm well aware that I'm in a good situation. My country's economic inequality is pretty substantial so there are a lot of people whose economic freedom (not in the way defined by classical liberals that I just don't agree with) is very constrained by poverty. And then there's a very glaring problem- the military occupation in the West Bank. The freedom level of Palestinians is much lower than mine, and while I'd say their situation is better than in many neighbouring nations, it's still horrible for anyone who believes in the basic concepts of democracy and human rights. There is the fact that the West Bank is not part of Israel and is ruled by the Palestinian Authority, and there is the very delicate security reality, but a lot of it is under the military occupation of Israel and thus cannot go ignored in such a question. Answered 60%-70%. If annexations happen, it goes down to 50%-60%, and could keep going down.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 05:33:12 AM »

I'm a strong believer in personal freedom. But I'm also aware that against a virus, we are cattle. I don't feel that my freedom has been attacked or undermined in the fight against this or any other infectious disease.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 05:38:35 AM »

Not counting handicaps of being a child, the lowest in my lifetime.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

Honestly Forumlurker, I think you should just join the military or something if the concept of free will is this problematic for you. Your posts on this site clearly demonstrate that you are not comfortable with individualism, and perhaps the rigidity of the armed services could give you the structure that you need.
I actually have wanted to join the military in the past, but I actually don’t think I would be allowed to right now (or in the next few years) due to certain physical issues.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »

I actually have wanted to join the military in the past, but I actually don’t think I would be allowed to right now (or in the next few years) due to certain physical issues.

Well in any case, find an outlet for your political masochism that doesn't involve taking away the rights of others.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies