If there is a Cold War Between the United States and China...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:29:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If there is a Cold War Between the United States and China...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If there is a Cold War Between the United States and China...  (Read 718 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »

...should we allow Taiwan and Japan to develop nuclear weapons with which to defend themselves? 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »

we should offer them the use of ours first, like we do (did?) with the UK and Germany (others?) that would be way cheaper for them
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »

correcting myself
 Belgium-Kleine Brogel-20
 Germany-Büchel-20
 Italy-Aviano-40
 Italy-Ghedi
 Netherlands-Volkel-20
 Turkey-Incirlik-50
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »

The US won’t allow Japan to assert themselves like that. That would maintain the independence of Japan from US influences and make it easy to create their own bloc independent of China and the US. Nah, at most they’ll continue allowing the Japanese Army to mobilize and develop.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »

No way! The less countries with nukes the better, I don't want to live in a world where every little spat has the spectre of nuclear war hanging over it
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 07:19:17 AM »

No way! The less countries with nukes the better, I don't want to live in a world where every little spat has the spectre of nuclear war hanging over it

Yes, the "more nukes the better" crowd have always puzzled me.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

I can only believe it comes from people not really thinking though the implications of the things they say.

Having more nukes=safety might make sense if you put literally zero thought into it
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »

I can only believe it comes from people not really thinking though the implications of the things they say.

Having more nukes=safety might make sense if you put literally zero thought into it

Has any nation-state with nuclear weapons ever been attacked by another nation-state?  Saber-rattling over North Korea aside.... 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »

Japan has no domestic support or interest in nuclear arms. Taiwan probably does, but they're very dependent on international politics & trade so souring relations for a bomb in the future might not be good thinking & they know it (no doubt the PRC would undertake a naval blockade of Taiwan). More likely than nukes would be selling Taiwan something like the P-8 Poseidon & a ton of Quickstrike & CAPTOR mines for use in the Taiwan Strait. Laying a minefield would quickly shut down any amphibious invasions the PLAN might be contemplating as well as harm Chinese shipping without precipitating an existential crisis by nuclear powers.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 12:46:19 AM »

Nuclear latency
Nuclear latency or a nuclear threshold state is the condition of a country possessing the technology to quickly build nuclear weapons, without having actually yet done so. Because such latent capability is not proscribed by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, this is sometimes called the "Japan Option" (as a work-around to the treaty), as Japan is considered a "paranuclear" state, being a clear case of a country with complete technical prowess to develop a nuclear weapon quickly, or as it is sometimes called "being one screwdriver's turn" from the bomb, as Japan is considered to have the materials, expertise and technical capacity to make a nuclear bomb at will.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies