Let's say Trump wins "bigly", how'd you think/feel/react to this?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Let's say Trump wins "bigly", how'd you think/feel/react to this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's say Trump wins "bigly", how'd you think/feel/react to this?  (Read 883 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:44:05 PM »

Flash-forward 6 months... Trump has not only won, he's won more states in the Electoral College than before, he's won over 51% of the popular vote this time too, the Republicans keeps the Senate and take back the House. How would you react? What would you think/feel?

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »

Deep depression.

I'd continue to volunteer to help get Democrats elected, focused immediately on the midterms.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:55:26 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 12:00:57 AM by Reaganfan »

Surprised, but not really. Most re-elections have Presidents winning by larger margins than the first time. Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush. Obama losing electoral votes was an aberration.

I should note, in 2004 I was predicting Bush to win what he won (but I added Wisconsin so that made me 10 electoral votes over the actual result), but Democrats were sure that "this time" they'd defeat Bush. He lost the popular vote, his approval rating was constantly "under 50" and the economy was shaky due to his policies.

Not only did he win the popular vote the second time, but despite all of that, and an increasingly unpopular war, and all the changes we had gone through from the rise of social media to jetliners crashing into iconic skyscrapers...

....literally only three states changed. Bush picked up two Gore states (NM, IA) and Kerry picked up one Bush state (NH).

Same in 2012. "This time" we're gonna beat Obama. Enthusiasm. Polling.

One state flipped. North Carolina went to Romney. Nothing else. End of story.

The bottom-line: It's possible that we can have all the hoopla, and then see Biden hold the Hillary states, maybe add one, but still lose the election. It's very possible.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:05:19 AM »

Surprised, but not really. Most re-elections have Presidents winning by larger margins than the first time. Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, Bush. Obama losing electoral votes was an aberration.

I should note, in 2004 I was predicting Bush to win what he won (but I added Wisconsin so that made me 10 electoral votes over the actual result), but Democrats were sure that "this time" they'd defeat Bush. He lost the popular vote, his approval rating was constantly "under 50" and the economy was shaky due to his policies.

Not only did he win the popular vote the second time, but despite all of that, and an increasingly unpopular war, and all the changes we had gone through from the rise of social media to jetliners crashing into iconic skyscrapers...

....literally only three states changed. Bush picked up two Gore states (NM, IA) and Kerry picked up one Bush state (NH).

Same in 2012. "This time" we're gonna beat Obama. Enthusiasm. Polling.

One state flipped. North Carolina went to Romney. Nothing else. End of story.

The bottom-line: It's possible that we can have all the hoopla, and then see Biden hold the Hillary states, maybe add one, but still lose the election. It's very possible.
It is possible, however, one key difference between Bush/Obama and Trump is that Bush and Obama, despite their occasional unpopularity, still were popular, and were also personally popular. Trump on the other hand has remained unpopular and personally unpopular his entire presidency.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:09:33 AM »

I'd basically give up on this country.  It's not worth caring about anymore and we'd deserve whatever he does to us and our general downfall on the world stage.  Let a better equipped country take over.

That said, I think it's highly unlikely this happens.  Trump's best best best case scenario is losing the popular vote by 3 million and eeking out an even smaller electoral college win than last time by just losing Michigan and Pennsylvania + the Hillary states.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

I'd continue to feel a heavy sense of embarrassment. It doesn't sit well to have the world laughing at us. More importantly, I'd feel sorrow for those groups that are directly effected by his presidency.

Personally, I'd also continue to be involved & donate & campaign & vote for Democrats.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:23:37 AM »

I would abandon this country as a lost cause and try to find a way to leave.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:52 AM »

Flash-forward 6 months... Trump has not only won, he's won more states in the Electoral College than before, he's won over 51% of the popular vote this time too, the Republicans keeps the Senate and take back the House. How would you react? What would you think/feel?

Wake up.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 02:08:07 AM »

So yoi mean the last 4 Presidents to win reelection was an aberration we have to go back to uhm... Ike in 1956 (I wasn't even sure of that) to find a President who won reelection with more Electoral votes than he did 4 years before.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 02:10:10 AM »

I'd start praying to God that Europe can find some unity and FAST, otherwise America's accelerating nosedive helps Russia and China a lot, not to mention North Korea and global dictators generally.
cris01us
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:22:55 AM »

It would be a hollow victory and only feel like a stay of execution.  A Trump victory in 2020 would almost certainly guarantee a Democratic victory in 2024 and with that comes more welfare-state policies, more expansion of government, and higher taxes to pay for everything.  It is an never ending drive from a significant faction of the country to turn this nation into something that resembles, very closely, a western European nation in my opinion ("free" college, healthcare, rent controls, welfare expansion, entitlements, gun restrictions, speech laws, European tax rates, a reduced military and defense presence in the world, and on and on).  The pursuit is never ending and the Right doesn't know how to resist it (and seems to not want to) and Independents and Libertarians are to weak to do anything about it. Even with a Trump win comes the erosion of individual liberties and rights and the ever increasing encroachment to government intervention in our lives.  While the GOP might be happy to have four more years of court appointments I don't see them getting much else done.  Victory or defeat the GOP is going to have to do some reflection and rebuild the party.  It's just a matter of whether they start doing this after 2020 or after 2024.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 06:46:05 AM »

What little faith I had in humanity would be gone. Even after his bungling of COVID (which doesn't even seem like the right word for me, because it implies he even tried to respond), a majority of Americans still thought, "You know, what we really need is more of this".

Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 08:00:24 AM »

Not gonna lie, I'd be devastated, and very worried for our country. Who knows what the man would do when he's not facing reelection. He's already shown that he's willing to do completely off-the-charts things to avoid accountability and oversight. The firing of the IGs and Comey, and attacks against Mueller come to mind immediately. The only people currently holding him accountable in the slightest
are the voters, as he often acts based on his perceived threat of losing reelection. Without that threat... Who knows what kind of messed up sh** he will pull.

And to anyone saying I'm being dramatic, look at the last 3.5 years. The man will do ANYTHING to get his way. For God's sake he sided with a man known to have his dissenters assassinated over every single U.S. intelligence agency on live TV
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 08:05:39 AM »

This is incredibly unlikely to happen. However, I can see a scenario playing out where Trump wins a decisive victory in the electoral college and Republicans get close to taking the House. I think for that to happen you'd have to have a few things happen, mainly...

1) Biden doing terrible in debates and/or revelations about scandals/corruption a few weeks before election
2) A bad across the board polling error, WORSE than 2016, akin to what happened in Australia in 2019.
3) The economic recovery is more swift and the numbers are better than anyone expected (and no signs of 2nd wave before November)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 08:45:39 AM »

Ds were knocked out of the Prez election from 1968 to 1992 but kept control of Congress. Rs represent Wall Street and Fed Reserve, Bernie Sanders says the Status Quo of having Oil men like Bush W and Trump controlling the boards of corporations doesn't work. Common Laborers need to be CEOs and that is the way to shake up status and start by putting Trump in prison
jake_arlington

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »

Meh.
Please delete this account. :)
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:16 AM »

I would volunteer to help Democratic candidates in the future, and hope that the Republicans suffer a crushing legislative defeat in 2022.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 01:14:53 AM »

I would emigrate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:16 AM »

Trump isnt winning unless schools, bars, sports stadiums and tattoo shots are full of capacity.  It's a reason why he is losing Nascar dads and soccer moms that he galvanized in Benghazi and the NRA and Scalia seat in 2016. Biden has tapped into that base, that's why Tillis and Harrison are leading in Carolinas.

In addition, police brutality is on the rise in MN and GA and the Prez is the Justice Dept.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies