Have You Had to Lay Off or Furlough Employees as a Direct Result of COVID-19?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:44:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have You Had to Lay Off or Furlough Employees as a Direct Result of COVID-19?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: As lay-offs and Company Furloughs have spiked as a direct result of COVID-19 related Business Decisions have you had to lay off or Furlough Workers (Paid or Unpaid)
YES--- I had to lay-off or furlough workers as MGMT or Business Owner

NO--- I was not in a position to lay-off or furlough workers, but currently employed

NO--- I am a worker who was laid off or furloughed

NO--- I am not part of the Work-Force (Retired, Non-Working Student, Individual Never Part of the Work-Force)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Have You Had to Lay Off or Furlough Employees as a Direct Result of COVID-19?  (Read 638 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »

Got off a Conference Call about 25 Minutes ago....

Ran the final list of workers, along with other Supervisors in front of Senior MGMT, as we go through the line-item review.

Currently there are (11) Direct Reports on my Team who will be laid off effective 6/1/20, who will be forced onto Unemployment and the Dole.

Not only does this mean that Medical Insurance is gone, which is particularly important for my Fellow Workers with Children, Older Workers, those with Spouses without Medical Insurance, etc....

Plus there is no guarantee that employment will come back for many of these workers....

Although, I have some 12+ Yrs experience as a "boss" with power to hire, fire, employee discipline proceedings, at one point with 100+ direct reports, I always prefer to "hire" rather than "fire"....

It's tough even some of the major under-performers, who called in sick way too often, maybe took a bit longer to master the "tools of the trade", individuals with serious family related items where FMLA would have made them bankrupt, but when they were at work were top star performers...

Little bit upset right now, since I don't like going through list of names and having to decide, at a point where the vast majority of our layoffs have nothing to do with employee performance or attendance issues, where normally I can help protect the workers in front of HR, so long as I can make a strong argument and they run the list against the HR demographics to ensure that an employers is not practicing discrimination against any protected categories....

Maybe I'm the only one on Atlas dealing with this, but some folks are gonna be effed, even if and when the economy starts to gradually recover in the "Reverse V Curve" that some economists are predicting....
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:37:43 PM »

Got employed and laid off due to the pandemic.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:51:56 PM »

I didn't personally lay off or furlough anyone, but members of my staff were laid off and furloughed based on a decision by higher ups.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:28 PM »

I laid myself off.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »

Third option (public school employee).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:10:01 PM »

Are you no longer getting paid?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:13:59 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=375474.msg7370628#msg7370628 date=1590549001 uid=28871

I'm sure not! The pandemic hit my school district in the middle of a contract renegotiation and all parties involved ended up getting screwed.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=375474.msg7370628#msg7370628 date=1590549001 uid=28871

I'm sure not! The pandemic hit my school district in the middle of a contract renegotiation and all parties involved ended up getting screwed.

Ooof. All the public school employees I know are still getting paid full contract amount, even the aides.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »

I'm actually interviewing someone on Friday lol. God bless Trump!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »

I'm actually interviewing someone on Friday lol. God bless Trump!

Still in aviation??

Anyway, I don't have any employees or even a job, haha.  As a more general response, I actually only know one person who get laid off, and he works in the restaurant business.  I certainly have noticed that my white collar friends who get to receive their full salaries from the safety of their couches are awfully inconsiderate of how they frame these people pushing for reopening ... even if we shouldn't reopen as much as we are now, the least one can do is be sympathetic that the motive is not some desire to defy the law or get served by a waiter again ... it's to stop people's livelihoods from crumbling.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »

Email going out shortly to direct reports, and overall it looks like we might have about (50) workers throughout the entire (270+) employee base of "unpaid furlough" in a large Tech Facility as subcontract workers, with all of the consequences entailed, including loss of medical benefits, etc and getting forced onto the State Unemployment lines, where there has been a massive delay in payment of unemployment benefits, and no guarantee that their jobs will be coming back,,,,

These are the types of communications that no "real" Manager wants to have  to say to individuals whom I have known for some time....

It's an easy time to get rid of the "dead wood", the slackers that call in sick all of the time, and those who chronic job performance issues, but it does NOT describe the overwhelming majority of skilled and talented workers, who are also on the list, simply because of the lack of work....

Even as an under-paid and over-skilled MGMT, I will always continue to support my fellow workers, although naturally my hands are tied when it comes to Senior MGMT Business Decisions from both the customer and my employer.... (Who I believe are doing the best they can at this time).

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 06:49:18 AM »

I don't have anything to do with the decisions, but among other things, I do payroll for several small businesses. A few have had to majorly downsize their payroll, including a restaurant and a day care.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »

Option 3. I am being laid off, but not because of the pandemic. (Although the pandemic was a nail in the coffin.)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »

Had to send the email off at 7:30 AM with (11) individuals on the list...

Oregon is better than most States in many regards when it comes to items such as Medical Insurance and Unemployment benefits....

Still.... massive backlog of unemployment benefits the State system hasn't been able to process, etc....

We're calling it "Mgmt Black Friday"...

Total sucky role, and hope y'all never have to go through this even later in life with career changes....

We will bring folks back as work opportunities emerge, but still....

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 01:54:31 AM »

Option 4, but if I had a paying job, I'd likely be in Option 2, all other things being equal.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 03:42:09 AM »

Well I am option 4, but my dad is currently the foreman on the power plant he is building (he helped clear the land for the power plant before I was even born and now it's finally getting started) and he has had the opposite problem, he has lost some carpenters and laborers because they can make more money sitting on their butts on unemployment during this than actually working on the site, so it's caused him to lose a few guys, but there's always more laborers and carpenters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies