St. Cloud Catholic Diocese will pay $22.5 million to sexual abuse survivors and declare bankruptcy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  St. Cloud Catholic Diocese will pay $22.5 million to sexual abuse survivors and declare bankruptcy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: St. Cloud Catholic Diocese will pay $22.5 million to sexual abuse survivors and declare bankruptcy  (Read 329 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 05:54:12 PM »

About time some actual justice occurred to one.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »

People need to give up on organized hierarchal entities like the Catholic Church in their entirety. In this example, putting the priest up on the pedestal over everyone else creates an unhealthy power dynamic.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »

The fifth of Minnesota's six dioceses to settle clergy abuse claims...

I mean, no wonder SBNR is on the incline.  People would rather follow their own god on their own terms than go to church and risk having their children get molested.  Or just become atheists.  That South Park episode had it absolutely right.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 03:56:42 AM »

I mean, no wonder SBNR is on the incline.  People would rather follow their own god on their own terms than go to church and risk having their children get molested.  Or just become atheists.  That South Park episode had it absolutely right.

How much of it do you think has to do with the abuse scandals? I'm sure they're an accelerant, but the secularization of society began long before these sorts of things came to light.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »

How much of it do you think has to do with the abuse scandals? I'm sure they're an accelerant, but the secularization of society began long before these sorts of things came to light.

I would suspect a lot, because most SBNR are not atheists.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »

With Catholicism in particular a lot of it actually is the abuse scandals. There was a massive drop-off in Catholic self-identification after 2002 that, understandably, has only gotten worse since then. Admittedly many of those people were leading heavily secularized lives beforehand anyway, but beforehand it was much less common for a raised-Catholic, not-particularly-religious adult to completely disclaim all identification with the Church.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies