What's the Atlas bubble's biggest blind spot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the Atlas bubble's biggest blind spot?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What's the Atlas bubble's biggest blind spot?  (Read 1378 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »

Evangelicals not grasping that their denominations' beliefs are not the standard or default Christian beliefs.

Other than Fuzzy, who else on Atlas even is an evangelical?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »

I would just say people who wouldn't fit our stereotypes of "election data."  We treat places that vote 60-40% one way is if they vote 95-5%.  There are so many people out there who don't fit into stereotypes of "partisans."  The guy CNN shows a clip of at a Trump rally represents literally under 1% of Republicans.  The vegan activist with purple hair that Fox News manages to find on a liberal arts college represents literally under 1% of Democrats.  There is a very sizable group of people here who do not believe that.

I know an extremely liberal guy who moved to Austin, TX and became obsessed with "Texas culture."  He says "y'all" now and wears cowboy boots.  He calls people "Yankees," jokingly.  He sees literally no problem with doing any of that and then not voting as others do with the same cultural traits.  I know a rabidly partisan Republican doctor who refuses to get meat anywhere but the local Co-Op.  People don't fit into boxes, which admittedly is what makes BRTD so fascinatingly hilarious and sort of endearing.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »

Evangelicals not grasping that their denominations' beliefs are not the standard or default Christian beliefs.

Pretty sure Extreme Republican is also an evangelical. I guess BRTD is ""technically"" an evangelical as well, thouch compared to Fuzzy and ER the difference is night and day.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »

Pretty sure Extreme Republican is also an evangelical. I guess BRTD is ""technically"" an evangelical as well, thouch compared to Fuzzy and ER the difference is night and day.

BRTD is apart of the 23% of white born again Christian's/Evangelicals who vote Democrat.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »

The inability to properly have a discussion on Capitalism itself.

We do that literally every day, it's annoying to have edgy tankies criticize the only actually successful system in human history.

Any way, Atlas just doesn't understand that a far greater % of Americans are genuinely conservative than they give them credit for. I hear all these ridiculous things about how people in Alabama, Wyoming, etc are not "really conservative" and just feel left out, instead of acknowledging our genuine feelings and stances towards traditional values, limited government, etc etc.
PSOL is anything but a tankie.
Did you know that in the South, they legalized abortion, unlike Massachusetts, and the South supported abortion until the 1980s.

The only states where abortion was fully legalized pre Roe were Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, and New York. Southern laws were more liberal than New England, but a large part of that has to do with legislatures that only became more conservative/Republican later on, and were still controlled by fake moderate Democrats at the time.

That's an extraordinarily self-serving and self-referential take on how the South became pro-life, and for that matter on how the conservative movement became pro-life.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 01:58:54 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

RFayette and CelticEmpire too, as well as several others I’m forgetting about.

Edit: Also Thomas from NJ when he was a more regular poster. Maybe JCL as well?

Edit 2: Mr. Reactionary. I swear there’s also an orange avatar I’m forgetting.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »

Things that I disagree with, obviously.
jake_arlington

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »

I don’t think it’s productive to ask said Atlas bubble this

Introspection always yields the best diagnoses. =D
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »

We do that literally every day, it's annoying to have edgy tankies criticize the only actually successful system in human history.

Any way, Atlas just doesn't understand that a far greater % of Americans are genuinely conservative than they give them credit for. I hear all these ridiculous things about how people in Alabama, Wyoming, etc are not "really conservative" and just feel left out, instead of acknowledging our genuine feelings and stances towards traditional values, limited government, etc etc.
Did you know that in the South, they legalized abortion, unlike Massachusetts, and the South supported abortion until the 1980s.

The only states where abortion was fully legalized pre Roe were Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, and New York. Southern laws were more liberal than New England, but a large part of that has to do with legislatures that only became more conservative/Republican later on, and were still controlled by fake moderate Democrats at the time.

That's an extraordinarily self-serving and self-referential take on how the South became pro-life, and for that matter on how the conservative movement became pro-life.

The conservative movement didn't "become" pro life. Democrats became pro choice.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »

Understanding black voters. See the discussions on the "you ain't black" thread and the possible Blexit talk from some blue avatars.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »

The conservative movement didn't "become" pro life. Democrats became pro choice.

Goldwater, Tower, Reagan...
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

As with most places on the internet, overreacting to the latest event/news happening
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »

Both happened concurrently. Bob Dole and Ted Kennedy, for example, "evolved" on abortion in opposite directions over the course of the 1970s. (Not to mention the figures Cath mentioned.)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »

Goldwater, Tower, Reagan...

Goldwater is a hero of mine, but he was the exception, not the rule. As for Reagan, even the "liberal" law he signed would be illegal under Roe v Wade.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »

Anyway, Ascott’s post is the objectively correct answer. For all the varying ideological and demographic skews in the user base, Atlas is ultimately a gathering of politics and election nerds who are way more plugged in to palace intrigues and policy debates than the vast majority of the populace.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »

Trump.

Talk Elections doesn't understand Trump or his voters, and thus, underestimates his chance of being reelected.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2020, 06:29:38 AM »

The tolerance of hypocritical bigots as 'FF, nice guys Smiley'
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2020, 06:38:50 AM »

Succinctly, I would say it's believing that which of the two huge, unruly, diffuse, "big tent" American political parties somebody/some place votes for is the most revealing aspect of their character/culture. 

For a political forum, Atlas is actually a strangely non-ideological place.  The bulk of Atlas narratives seem more interested in the cultural implications of politics rather than historical or philosophical ones. 

Secondarily, I would say the average Atlas poster greatly overestimates the amount of news consumed by the general public.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »

Secondarily, I would say the average Atlas poster greatly overestimates the amount of news consumed by the general public.

Somewhat related: I think we here at T.E. forget how easily political angles of attack can become disorganized and muddled to the average American.  On a daily basis, we see posts about how "[X] is finished once [Y] brings up how [X] voted for [insert complex issue here]." 

(NO offense intended to the OP of this post) -- I recently commented something similar under a poll for the 2020 Senate race in Arizona. 

OP stated that Martha McSally could prevail by pushing that "[Her opponent, Mark Kelly] built a company using taxpayer-subsidized seed money and capital funding from a Chinese technology company willing to censor as needed that has stoked U.S. national-security anxieties."

This could be an effective line of attack, but in its current state, it's confusing and not likely to resonate with the average Arizona voter.  We here at T.E. understand what OP is saying, but "Bill T. Ordinary" isn't likely to be swayed by talks of seed money and capital funding. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:52 AM »

On a more serious note, I'd argue that the biggest Atlas blindspot is that folks here [all of us, myself included] sometimes forget when we're mad or just even annoyed with another poster forget that we're talking with another human being and not just an emotionless bot.  That's always been a problem with the internet tbh: b/c folks know they'll probably never meet, it's easier to depersonalize contentious exchanges and fall into the trap of forgetting that sometimes glib one-liners or low energy attempts to be edgy can be genuinely and legitimately hurtful to other posters in a way the person who made the offending post may not have truly intended. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »

it's easier to depersonalize contentious exchanges and fall into the trap of forgetting that sometimes glib one-liners or low energy attempts to be edgy can be genuinely and legitimately hurtful to other posters in a way the person who made the offending post may not have truly intended. 

Great insight. It's something I've been on both sides of myself, and I think it's part of what we're currently seeing in the BRTD vs. afleitch beef.
jake_arlington

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:07 AM »

Succinctly, I would say it's believing that which of the two huge, unruly, diffuse, "big tent" American political parties somebody/some place votes for is the most revealing aspect of their character/culture. 

For a political forum, Atlas is actually a strangely non-ideological place.  The bulk of Atlas narratives seem more interested in the cultural implications of politics rather than historical or philosophical ones. 

Given how often its/our users portray said "general public" as uninformed idiots, I would suspect quite the opposite! Wink
jake_arlington

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »

On a more serious note, I'd argue that the biggest Atlas blindspot is that folks here [all of us, myself included] sometimes forget when we're mad or just even annoyed with another poster forget that we're talking with another human being and not just an emotionless bot.  That's always been a problem with the internet tbh: b/c folks know they'll probably never meet, it's easier to depersonalize contentious exchanges and fall into the trap of forgetting that sometimes glib one-liners or low energy attempts to be edgy can be genuinely and legitimately hurtful to other posters in a way the person who made the offending post may not have truly intended. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »

Given how often its/our users portray said "general public" as uninformed idiots, I would suspect quite the opposite! Wink

I mean, there is no shortage of threads in Atlas of the type "Random politco says/does inconsequential thing xxxx, how will this affect the (2024) presidential race and electoral coalitions for the next 40 years???"  Such reactions seem to imply that the voting public follows and reacts to very short-lived stories like the typical Atlas poster does.

And I would say Atlas largely gives the public the "willful" idiot treatment rather than that of the uninformed variety.
jake_arlington

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2020, 09:30:09 AM »

I mean, there is no shortage of threads in Atlas of the type "Random politco says/does inconsequential thing xxxx, how will this affect the (2024) presidential race and electoral coalitions for the next 40 years???"  Such reactions seem to imply that the voting public follows and reacts to very short-lived stories like the typical Atlas poster does.

And I would say Atlas largely gives the public the "willful" idiot treatment rather than that of the uninformed variety.

Yeah, perhaps. But that's just because posters here wanna know the impact and effects of those news, as such.And, of course, Not necessarily implying that people outside of this "bubble" or the our here would know / care about such information, tbh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies