What is your view as to the nature of salvation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:49:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What is your view as to the nature of salvation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Universalism

Inclusivism

Exclusivism

Other(specify below)

N/A(Not a believer in salvation)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: What is your view as to the nature of salvation?  (Read 1024 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »

Universalism, or universal reconciliation: Sin has negative consequences for the sinner either in this life or the afterlife. All punishments for sin are corrective or rehabilitative. No punishment thereof is eternal.

Inclusivism: Many do what is right based upon the natural knowledge of godliness. Salvation comes from a godly heart which radiates godly actions, not a clear understanding of God’s nature. To those whom little is given, little is required. Lastly, it is possible to be saved and justified through Jesus Christ without explicit or complete knowledge of who he is. Only those who reject this “natural knowledge” may suffer eternal damnation.

Exclusivism: Salvation through Jesus Christ comes through explicit, complete knowledge of who he is. Those who fail to confess this will suffer eternal damnation.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:47:25 AM »

The Invisible Hand of the Free Market.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:06:03 AM »

The only certain way of salvation is through repentance and faith in Christ in this life, and all who are saved can only be saved through Christ.  Whether or not God reveals himself right before death to those who have never heard or had minimal exposure to Christianity is something I don't know.  So my answer would be between inclusivism and exclusivism.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »

Universalism. It did literally mean in the Bibledays, you will go to paradise when the World ended, but after Roman Catholism and Anglican Church and Lutherism, it means, what goes around, comes around. Since, everytime the Pope or Jehovah Witnesses have predicted end times, during the lead up to yr 2000 and 2012, it has failed to come. Now, they say it will come eventually, but dont give an exact year.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »

The only certain way of salvation is through repentance and faith in Christ in this life, and all who are saved can only be saved through Christ.  Whether or not God reveals himself right before death to those who have never heard or had minimal exposure to Christianity is something I don't know.  So my answer would be between inclusivism and exclusivism.

Christ taught there was but one Way, but he didn't rule out the existence of other guides to that Way.

Quote from: Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB)
"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide, and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter by it. For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it."

So in one sense I'm a Universalist, but not in others as I don't think all will be ultimately saved, for there are those who will choose the Broadway.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »

Even if you are right (and that would still be on the exclusivist side in that a person would need to accept Christ before death to go to Heaven), Christians cannot know that to be the case.  Jesus says numerous times (John 3 is one famous example) that the only way to salvation is through him.  Combining those two things says that Christians must act to evangelize others for their salvation.

In addition to the "man on the island" (or in a country with no presence of Christianity), another interesting discussion is relating to people who die as young children (including unborn babies).  At what age is one considered able to put faith in Christ as a repentance for their sins.  I do believe that people who die extremely young go to Heaven, but I don't know how to define an exact cut off point.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 11:17:57 PM by Del Tachi »

Salvation is exclusively provided by Jesus Christ, and it is perfect and complete enough to include all possible souls (though it may not at the present time).  Universal Reconciliation may ultimately be God's plan for humanity but it will not be realized until after the creation of a new heaven and a new earth. 

I can't jive with your definition of universalism because it doesn't necessarily follow that punishments for sin are only rehabilitative or corrective if they're temporary.  God could defeat Satan in an epic final battle for humanity and free all the souls in Hell, but it wouldn't be because they were "rehabbed" there.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »

Christ taught there was but one Way, but he didn't rule out the existence of other guides to that Way.

Uhhhm....are you sure?

Quote from: John 14:6 (NASB)
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »

Uhhhm....are you sure?

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
And, following John 3:16 (the most famous verse in the whole Bible), The Bible goes on to say:

Quote from: John 3:18 (CSB)
Anyone who believes in him is not condemned, but anyone who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »

Uhhhm....are you sure?

And, following John 3:16 (the most famous verse in the whole Bible), The Bible goes on to say:

Quote from: John 3:18 (CSB)
Anyone who believes in him is not condemned, but anyone who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God.

Why is it that exclusivists tend to ignore John 3:17?

Quote from: John 3:17 (NASB)
For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

(my preference for the NASB is simply because it's one of the more readible of the translations that places a priority on word-for-word translation.)

The Incarnation of Christ in human form was intended to save humanity, not condemn it. Christ is an embodiment of the Way. But not the only lodging of it.

Quote from: John 14:2a-b (NASB)
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you;

So, if you reject the Way, you reject Christ, even if you claim to venerate his name.

See Matthew 25:31-46, and hopefully you won't end up as one of the foolish goats who thought Christ is some remote potentate who vainly cares only about his name, but instead be one of the shepherd's wise sheep who realized he cares about his message as well as all his sheep, not just those who bleat his name with vain repetitions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies