redacted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:18:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  redacted
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: redacted
redacted
redacted
redacted
redacted
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: redacted  (Read 1060 times)
randomname2000
madara5309
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
« edited: October 07, 2021, 11:40:21 PM by randomname2000 »

redacted
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »

I don't think Anderson could have won, but if he did all the things you mentioned, he could have forced the race to the House.
Snazzrazz Mazzlejazz
SlothbearXTB
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »

I believe that he had the smallest possible odds but it could have happened. That being said it was one of those things that was unlikely and bordering on impossible.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:53:04 AM »

Of all the major third party Presidential candidates since 1968, only Perot and Wallace had a better chance at winning than Anderson.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »

Of all the major third party Presidential candidates since 1968, only Perot and Wallace had a better chance at winning than Anderson.

That's a pretty low standard.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »

Maybe Evan McMullin could have had a chance if nobody gets to 270 EV in 2016 thanks to him winning UT and ID and he is picked as the compromise candidate in the House .

I don’t think Anderson has a chance even if he sends it to the house as House Democrats were far more supportive of Carter in 1980 than House Republicans were with Trump in 1980 and had a large majority too(since This version  1980 wouldn’t be as bad as it was in OTL for house dems in 1980) so they had more room to spare though .

Anyway in reality neither really had any chance
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 05:01:39 AM »

That’s damning with faint praise, however. None of these guys had a real chance to win.

Wallace simply didn’t have enough appeal outside the South to win outright. His best chance would have been forcing the election to the House, but even then he would not have been elected. Both Northern Democrats and Republicans in the House would not have let that happen. Nixon and Humphrey would have rather seen the other win than Wallace.

Perot might have won a state or two if he hadn’t dropped out only to come back. But ultimately I think his strong poll numbers at some points were just due to voters expressing frustration with Bush and the two-party system that simply wasn’t going to be stable or lasting enough for him to actually win. Especially once Clinton started to take off. Plus the states he did best in were like Maine and Alaska. I don’t see him having strong enough appeal in states with lots of EVs to even throw it to the House.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »

That’s damning with faint praise, however. None of these guys had a real chance to win.

Wallace simply didn’t have enough appeal outside the South to win outright. His best chance would have been forcing the election to the House, but even then he would not have been elected. Both Northern Democrats and Republicans in the House would not have let that happen. Nixon and Humphrey would have rather seen the other win than Wallace.

Perot might have won a state or two if he hadn’t dropped out only to come back. But ultimately I think his strong poll numbers at some points were just due to voters expressing frustration with Bush and the two-party system that simply wasn’t going to be stable or lasting enough for him to actually win. Especially once Clinton started to take off. Plus the states he did best in were like Maine and Alaska. I don’t see him having strong enough appeal in states with lots of EVs to even throw it to the House.

I agree. The best perot could actually do is Alaska, Maine, kansas, Nevada, and montana. And even then, Alaska and Kansas are skin of his teeth
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »

As for the question, I wouldn't say he was ever having a strong chance to win, and especially not out right, but I do believe that if he kept his peak of 24 percent throughout the cycle, onto election day, he would have won SOME states
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 01:23:37 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2020, 02:03:29 AM by HisGrace »

One (kind of a push) poll also had him at 31% 'if he was shown to have a chance to win'.

I think that answers your question. If you only have 30% of the vote even when it's assumed you have a chance then you don't really have a chance.

Wallace had no chance either. Perot had a chance for a brief, shining moment in the early summer but by the time of the debates/election he didn't either.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 05:23:33 PM »

I fail to see how Anderson filled a void.

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:19 PM »

One (kind of a push) poll also had him at 31% 'if he was shown to have a chance to win'.

I think that answers your question. If you only have 30% of the vote even when it's assumed you have a chance then you don't really have a chance.

Wallace had no chance either. Perot had a chance for a brief, shining moment in the early summer but by the time of the debates/election he didn't either.

Wallace I think could've emerged if the electoral college was deadlocked and Nixon and Humphrey didn't wheel and deal enough to secure victory.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »

Wallace I think could've emerged if the electoral college was deadlocked and Nixon and Humphrey didn't wheel and deal enough to secure victory.

Wallace's endgame was to try and throw it to the House and then the southern delegation could hold everything up and insist on concessions on civil rights in exchange for supporting either Humphrey or Nixon. Wallace wasn't even trying to win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies