S.20.2-13: Bane of S019 Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-13: Bane of S019 Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.2-13: Bane of S019 Act (Debating)  (Read 1003 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2020, 03:02:01 AM »

Quote from: Bane of S019 Act
Bane of S019 Act

1. Lincoln Council Speaker S019 shall not interfere in the affairs of the South while he holds elected office in another region, unless personally requested by the Southern Chamber of Delegates.

2. If S019 does not abide, the government of the South shall have the authority to recommend to the regional government of the region he resides in to impose a SALT (State and Local Tax) cap on him.
Sponsor: Delegate Pragmatic Populist (L - MD)
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:05:34 AM »

Bane of S019 Act

1. Lincoln Council Speaker S019 shall not interfere in the affairs of the South while he holds elected office in another region, unless personally requested by the Southern Chamber of Delegates.

2. If S019 does not abide, the government of the South shall have the authority to recommend to the regional government of the region he resides in to impose a SALT (State and Local Tax) cap on him.
Sponsor: Delegate Pragmatic Populist (L - MD)

Common sense legislation, I hope we can move quickly to pass it
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »

Freedom bill!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »

This bill is a genuine joke and the South should not have this joke bill occupying one of its valuable slots. I urge a Delegate to table this.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »

This bill is a genuine joke and the South should not have this joke bill occupying one of its valuable slots. I urge a Delegate to table this.
Normally I'd refrain from commenting here but you guys should really focus on getting important sh*t done before considering meme bills like this - for instance, MB's bill for getting your region, the last holdout, aligned for Lumine's NPC elections. It's shameful that Lincoln and Fremont have finished passing their bills - after much debate - while you haven't even started.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:55:30 PM »

Normally I'd refrain from commenting here but you guys should really focus on getting important sh*t done before considering meme bills like this - for instance, MB's bill for getting your region, the last holdout, aligned for Lumine's NPC elections. It's shameful that Lincoln and Fremont have finished passing their bills - after much debate - while you haven't even started.
Important sh*t...such as NBA expansion? Wink
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 05:47:38 PM »

So I don't get yelled at, image source
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 05:49:46 PM »

Not the South's fault you guys don't like fun.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 03:08:33 AM »

I'd like the Author/Sponsor, Delegate PragmaticPopulist to advocate for his bill.
(He has been notified this is on the floor)

Perhaps if the Lincoln Council Speaker stuck to his own jurisdiction bills like this wouldn't have been drafted by members of his own party. The only person at their legislative slot capacity is the Governor, with four. Also maybe your point would have more weight if there weren't multiple slots available for other members of this chamber to use. Furthermore there are no pieces of legislation waiting in the introduction thread at this point in time. I will once again advise the Lincoln Council Speaker that he should stick to his own region and leave us Southerners alone to do our own thing in our own way. I hope you take heed. It will make life easier for everyone.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 12:09:52 PM »

Deeply Disturbing!
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 08:14:18 PM »

I'd like the Author/Sponsor, Delegate PragmaticPopulist to advocate for his bill.
(He has been notified this is on the floor)

Perhaps if the Lincoln Council Speaker stuck to his own jurisdiction bills like this wouldn't have been drafted by members of his own party. The only person at their legislative slot capacity is the Governor, with four. Also maybe your point would have more weight if there weren't multiple slots available for other members of this chamber to use. Furthermore there are no pieces of legislation waiting in the introduction thread at this point in time. I will once again advise the Lincoln Council Speaker that he should stick to his own region and leave us Southerners alone to do our own thing in our own way. I hope you take heed. It will make life easier for everyone.

Thank you speaker for pointing out the importance of this bill.

The south takes undesirable outside influence very seriously. Can't have outside actors turning the region into a puppet show. We must take action to prevent that from happening.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:34:39 AM »

Amendment Key
Additions | Removals | Moved
Quote from: Potential Amendments to Bane of S019 Act
Bane of S019 Act

2. If S019 does not abide, the government of the South shall fine him for disturbing the peace.

3. If S019 still does not abide, the government of the South shall have the authority to recommend to the regional government of the region he resides in to impose a SALT (State and Local Tax) cap on him.

Any thoughts on these potential amendments?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »

Amendment Key
Additions | Removals | Moved
Quote from: Potential Amendments to Bane of S019 Act
Bane of S019 Act

2. If S019 does not abide, the government of the South shall fine him for disturbing the peace.

3. If S019 still does not abide, the government of the South shall have the authority to recommend to the regional government of the region he resides in to impose a SALT (State and Local Tax) cap on him.

Any thoughts on these potential amendments?
I am fine with this amendment. I did not add it because I was not sure if the government of the south had the authority to fine someone from another region.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »

I am not complying to pay any fines, this legislation is discriminatory, you didn't do this when ASV kept intervening, and given that Deputy Speaker Spark had not been adequate in the performance of his job, outside interference was necessary to remind him to do his job. Anyways, I'm not complying with this, but since you guys seem to be functioning better now, hopefully I won't have to intervene.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 04:53:42 AM »

I am not complying to pay any fines, this legislation is discriminatory, you didn't do this when ASV kept intervening, and given that Deputy Speaker Spark had not been adequate in the performance of his job, outside interference was necessary to remind him to do his job. Anyways, I'm not complying with this, but since you guys seem to be functioning better now, hopefully I won't have to intervene.

I've told ASV off before for the same thing. Not only does he not do this regularly, when ASV has stuck his nose in, he's usually provided information has actually been at least somewhat helpful.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »

Cannot wait to throw all y'all in prison for this completely unconstitutional bill! Southerners have no problem with invading other regions' legislatures when it serves their purposes, but I'm sure that was totally different. Very dishonest!
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »

Cannot wait to throw all y'all in prison for this completely unconstitutional bill! Southerners have no problem with invading other regions' legislatures when it serves their purposes, but I'm sure that was totally different. Very dishonest!

Because a humble submission (see below) and then defending one's region from western aggression are terrible exceptions to make. Also, Truman it should be noted that I am neither the drafter or sponsor this bill. PragmaticPopulist is, as he is from your party. This is also the bill he's commented on the most this session.

First Minister & Members of Parliament of the Commonwealth of Fremont,

Now I normally don't like to stick my nose in issues outside of the South. However I find this discussion quite interesting and I figured I'd make an exception. I approached a member of this here parliament privately to provide the input i'm about to put forward. But the member in question believed this was the "most moronic idea" he'd heard this month. Maybe I phrased my explanation poorly. Anyways, I'd like to put forward an option for all y'all to consider. Down Under, in the ACT and Tasmania they use a count back system for by-elections in the Hare-Clark system.

Quote from: By-Elections Under Hare-Clark
Under Hare-Clark as used in Tasmania and the A.C.T., an entirely different system is used.

When a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly resigns, a by-election is held, but only candidates defeated at the last state election can nominate. Then, instead of a new election, the by-election is conducted by a countback of the votes cast at the last election. The poll is conducted as a preferential count in a single member electorate, except the only votes counted are those that made up the quota of the sitting member who has resigned. In almost all cases, this means that the candidate who will win the vacancy is likely to represent the same party as the departing candidate
https://www.abc.net.au/elections/tas/2006/guide/hareclark.htm

Also consider reading this Elections ACT - Casual Vacancies Fact Sheet. The ACT doesn't use group voting tickets.

Food for thought. This could mean an end to all these active by-elections you keep having up here. I'd like to thank you for you time and I hope you come to a satisfactory conclusion to your Vacancies Act. Dave bless y'all.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »

I motion to dissolve the Southern legislature and government and to impose direct rule from Nyman; until we can figure out what's going on

I also motion to name S019 emergency dictator for the South
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »

It's important to make sure that foreign interference and interference from outside regions does not interfere with the legislation and duties of the South I think we should support this
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 08:36:24 PM »

As far as the bill's text itself, Truman is incorrect in his statement that it is unconstitutional.  One would think if he's going to make that claim he would at least bother to outline why he feels this way.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »

It's important to make sure that foreign interference and interference from outside regions does not interfere with the legislation and duties of the South I think we should support this
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 03:50:35 AM »

As debate and discussion has died I motion for a final vote. 24 hours for objections.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:09 PM »

As debate and discussion has died I motion for a final vote. 24 hours for objections.

Second the motion.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 12:51:26 AM »

This reminds me of when I proposed this:

Legislative Respect Act of 2018

Section 1: Restrictions: In accordance with the rules of the former United States that those in the gallery of the house or senate were not allowed to give expressions of approval or disapproval, Citizens of Lincoln who are not federal or regional elected or appointed officials shall not be allowed to comment on threads for bills being considered in the Lincoln Assembly.

Section 2: Enforcement: Any comments made in Assembly bill threads by unauthorized individuals, as defined in the previous section, shall be ignored and reported to Atlas mods with a request to delete the post, and Assembly members are to take all measures necessary to ensure such comments have no effect on their opinion of a piece of legislation.

Section 3: Clarifications:
1. No part of this bill shall be construed to prohibit citizens from asking questions or commenting in more appropriate and respectful locations, such as office threads, private messages, etc.
2. No part of this bill shall be construed to prohibit citizens from introducing legislation via the appropriate thread.
3. No part of this bill shall be construed as a sense of the assembly to discourage citizen input, but shall rather be seen as a sense of the assembly that citizen input is not appropriate in Assembly bill threads.
4. Courts shall not strip voting rights on the sole basis of violation of this act.

Section 4: This bill shall take effect upon signage.

But this version did not fine anyone, instead it merely created an obligation to report them to the mods. Also S019 would be exempted from this as a regional elected official, and it is a blanket provision rather than something focused on one user.

The version actually being debated here is too punitive and should be voted down.

reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »

Since there was no objection, can the vote be formally opened?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies