Half terms and term limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:05:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Half terms and term limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Half terms and term limits  (Read 661 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:57:29 AM »

How do states with a gubernatorial term limits handle half terms? Are lieutenant governors, who become governor via ascension rather than election and serve to finish the ongoing term eligible run twice? Or is there the same rule as at the federal level: A succeeded vice president can run once if there is more than two years left in the term, or twice if there is less than two years (LBJ being eligible in 1964 and 1968, while Gerald Ford would have been term-limited in 1980 if he won 1976).

Some interesting situations:

- According to Wikipedia, South Carolina governor Henry McMaster has already filed to run in 2022. Even if South Carolina applies the same rule as at the federal level, McMaster would be eligible to run again because be became governor on January 24, 2017, shortly after Nikki Haley's second term went into its second half.

- In Missouri, Governor Parson is expected to be elected to a full term this November. Is he term-limited in 2024, since he served more than half of Greitens' term?

- Oregon obviously counts Kate Brown's 2015-2019 as first term (though she was reelected in a special election in 2016 and then reelected to full four years in 2018). She will termed out in 2022.

- I think we discussed Virginia some years ago. It has never been tested before, but a governor in Virginia could actually run as an incumbent if he succeeded to office the first time. I actually looked this up in the state constitution, but it didn't answer the question.

The only lieutenant governor I remember succeeding to the governorship and being elected more than once is Rick Perry, but Texas has no term limit.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:57 AM »

The only lieutenant governor I remember succeeding to the governorship and being elected more than once is Rick Perry, but Texas has no term limit.

Mike Huckabee succeeded Jim Guy Tucker to the Governorship in Arkansas in 1996 and then was reelected in 1998 and 2002, thus leaving office in January 2007 after 10 1/2 years in office.

But yeah other than him, Rick Perry is the only one I can think of too.
JMT

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:40 AM »

While not a Lieutenant Governor (West Virginia’s State Senate President is first in the line of succession), Earl Ray Tomblin couldn’t seek a full second term as Governor of West Virginia in 2016. He became Governor after Joe Manchin resigned to become a Senator. He was elected in a special election in 2011, then a full term in 2012. But, he couldn’t seek a full second term because West Virginia counts partial terms towards term limits.

While also not a Lieutenant Governor (Arizona’s Secretary of State is first in the line of succession), Jan Brewer couldn’t seek a full second term as Governor of Arizona in 2014. She became Governor in 2009 when Janet Napolitano resigned to become Secretary of Homeland Security. She was elected to a full term in 2010, but couldn’t seek a full second term in 2014 because she served a partial term before her 2010 election.

I’m sure there’s other examples, but those are two I thought of off the top of my head.
JMT

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:06:21 AM »

Mike Huckabee succeeded Jim Guy Tucker to the Governorship in Arkansas in 1996 and then was reelected in 1998 and 2002, thus leaving office in January 2007 after 10 1/2 years in office.

But yeah other than him, Rick Perry is the only one I can think of too.

Gary Herbert was the Lieutenant Governor of Utah and became Governor in 2009 when Jon Huntsman resigned to became U.S. Ambassador to China. Utah doesn't have term limits, but Herbert won the 2010 Special Election for Governor, and won reelection to full terms in 2012 and 2016. He's still Governor today (he's not seeking reelection in 2020, though).

Jack Dalrymple was the Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota and became Governor in 2010 when John Hoeven resigned to become a U.S. Senator. He was elected to a full term in 2012. Despite not having term limits, Dalrymple voluntarily decided not to seek a full second term in 2016.
Epaminondas

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:10:23 AM »

The biggest political mistake of the 60s was LBJ not standing for reelection in 1968 and letting Crooked Dick poisoning the well of trust in US institution for decades.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »

The biggest political mistake of the 60s was LBJ not standing for reelection in 1968 and letting Crooked Dick poisoning the well of trust in US institution for decades.

He was going to lose to RFK if he stayed in.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

- In Missouri, Governor Parson is expected to be elected to a full term this November. Is he term-limited in 2024, since he served more than half of Greitens' term?

The Missouri law is that one can only be elected governor twice. He could run again in 2024 if elected this November. However, he has said that he won't.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 04:32:00 AM »

He was going to lose to RFK if he stayed in.

Eh, it was unlikely RFK would actually be nominated. The bosses wanted Humphrey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies