L.C. 7.11: Office of Environmental Justice Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 7.11: Office of Environmental Justice Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L.C. 7.11: Office of Environmental Justice Bill  (Read 824 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:16 PM »
« edited: May 27, 2020, 12:05:54 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

Office of Environmental Justice Bill

Introduced by Councilor CookieDamage (NJ)

A bill which aims to establish the Office of Environmental Justice within the Department of Agriculture and the Environment. This bill will also establish the Environmental Justice Advisory Council which will be an advisory body within the Office of Environmental Justice.

Section I – Definitions

A. Environment – The environment, in this bill, is defined as the natural, biophysical, and built environments in which a person or people interact with and are impacted by. The environment includes the air, water, soil, as well as artificial environments and structures which interact with and impact the health of individuals or groups of people.

B. Justice – Justice, in this bill, is defined as the fair, equitable, and impartial distribution of law, policy, and judicial decisions.

C. Injustice – Injustice, in this bill, is defined as the unfair, unequitable, and partial distribution of law, policy, and judicial decision.

D. Environmental justice – Environmental justice, in this bill, is defined as the fair and equitable treatment of people and communities regarding their natural, biophysical, and built environments. It includes the fair implementation of environmental law, policy, and procedure with no extra burden or benefit placed on persons or groups because of their race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, socioeconomic status, religion, or cultural identification.

Section II – Establishment and Role of the Office of Environmental Justice and the Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Council

A. The Council of Lincoln will establish the Office of Environmental Justice within the Department of Agriculture and the Environment.

B. The Office of Environmental Justice (OEJ) will be led by a Department-appointed Coordinator.

C. The OEJ will administer an advisory body known as the Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Council (EJEAC).

D. The EJEAC will be composed of nineteen members, with spaces reserved for a wide variety of industries, initiatives, non-profit bodies, and community members across Lincoln.

E. Seats of the EJEAC will be filled by qualified applicants as judged by the Department and Office Coordinator.

F.   The OEJ will be responsible for aiding the Department in:

a. The implementation of policies, regulations, and procedures aimed at better addressing instances of environmental injustice.
b. The research and analysis of environmental data.
c. The tracking of health data.
d. The identification of areas vulnerable to environmental injustice.
e. Conduct outreach to communities and municipalities.
f. Act as a liaison between communities and the Department.

Section III – Appropriations

A.   Appropriation will be determined by the Department of Agriculture and the Environment.

Section IV – Implementation

A.   This law shall take effect six months after being signed by the governor.

Debate on this has begun and shall last for at least 72 hours

Sponsor: cookiedamage
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 12:06:01 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

I have absolutely no issues with this, but I have one question for the sponsor: I'm a bit confused how health data relates to the environment. Unless, the sponsor meant environmental health.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »

I have absolutely no issues with this, but I have one question for the sponsor: I'm a bit confused how health data relates to the environment. Unless, the sponsor meant environmental health.

Oftentimes environmental justice/injustice/racism involves the fact that people of color and the working class are exposed to environmental toxins and pollutants and thus have poorer health markers than white or wealthier individuals or communities. Consider Louisiana's Cancer Alley, where pre-dominantly black residents in the area between New Orleans and Baton Rouge suffer from higher rates of lung cancer (and higher COVID-19 mortality) due to environmental toxins caused by the large presence of petrochemical plants. In Flint, Michigan, the issue of poor water and corroded pipes (both respective representatives of the natural environment and built environment) cause health problems like lead poisoning and legionnaire's disease.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 12:06:27 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

Oftentimes environmental justice/injustice/racism involves the fact that people of color and the working class are exposed to environmental toxins and pollutants and thus have poorer health markers than white or wealthier individuals or communities. Consider Louisiana's Cancer Alley, where pre-dominantly black residents in the area between New Orleans and Baton Rouge suffer from higher rates of lung cancer (and higher COVID-19 mortality) due to environmental toxins caused by the large presence of petrochemical plants. In Flint, Michigan, the issue of poor water and corroded pipes (both respective representatives of the natural environment and built environment) cause health problems like lead poisoning and legionnaire's disease.

Interesting, I was not aware of that, and indeed those people need help, but I'm not sure if it's related enough to this bill to be included here, maybe it would be better in a separate bill? But this isn't that big of a concern to me, and I'm willing to support this bill as is.

EDIT: After a private discussion, I'm fine with this in the bill, and I will support this.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »

Office of Environmental Justice Establishment Bill

A bill which aims to establish the Office of Environmental Justice within the Department of Agriculture and the Environment. This bill will also establish the Environmental Justice Advisory Council which will be an advisory body within the Office of Environmental Justice.

Section I – Definitions

A. Environment – The environment, in this bill, is defined as the natural, biophysical, and built environment.s in which a person or people interact with and are impacted by. The environment includes the air, water, and soil, as well as artificial environments and structures which interact with and impact the bodily health of individuals or groups of people.

B. Justice – Justice, in this bill, is defined as the fair, equitable, and impartial distribution of law, policy, and judicial decisions.

C. Injustice – Injustice, in this bill, is defined as the unfair, unequitable, and partial distribution of law, policy, and judicial decision.

D. Environmental justice – Environmental justice, in this bill, is defined as the fair and equitable treatment of people and communities regarding with respect to the ways their natural, biophysical, and built environments affect their health and well-being. It includes the fair implementation of environmental law, policy, and procedure with no extra burden or benefit placed on persons or groups because of their race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, socioeconomic status, religion, or cultural identification. Environmental justice also analyses how the aggregate health of minority and/or low-income communities is often negatively impacted by environmental risks not present in privileged or wealthy communities. Environmental justice also seeks to identify, mitigate, or reverse environmental activities, policies, or phenomena which are found to have disproportionately negative effects on minority and/or low-income communities.

Section II – Establishment and Role of the Office of Environmental Justice and the Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Council

A. The Council of Lincoln will establish the Office of Environmental Justice within the Department of Agriculture and the Environment.

B. The Office of Environmental Justice (OEJ) will be led by a Department-appointed Coordinator.

C. The OEJ will administer an advisory body known as the Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Council (EJEAC).

D. The EJEAC will be composed of nineteen members, with spaces reserved for a wide variety of industries, initiatives, non-profit bodies, and community members across Lincoln.

E. Seats of the EJEAC will be filled by qualified applicants as judged by the Department and Office Coordinator.

F.   The OEJ will be responsible for aiding the Department in:

a. The implementation of policies, regulations, and procedures aimed at better addressing instances of environmental injustice.

A.   Appropriation will be determined by the Department of Agriculture and the Environment.

A.   This law shall take effect six months after being signed by the governor.

Clarifying amendment.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:31:14 AM »

No objections.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 12:07:17 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

24 hours from when cookiedamage introduced the amendment to object to it, so until 11:58 pm EDT tonight.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 12:07:28 AM by Speaker of the Lincoln Council S019 »

The amendment is adopted

Also note: I misnumbered this originally, but the issue is now fixed, this is L.C. 7.11, not L.C. 7.10
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »

Shall we move this to a final vote?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:13 PM »

Just to be sure, everything here falls either to NPCs or the Chancellor, right? No new positions.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 02:34:02 PM by Councilor CookieDamage (L-NJ) »

Just to be sure, everything here falls either to NPCs or the Chancellor, right? No new positions.

Yes, I assume no*
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

If the Governor or other Councilors have no further objections, I’m willing to go for a final vote. I’ll give around 8-10 hours for any more concerns to be voiced, and motion for a final vote tonight
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »

No objections; I support this measure wholeheartedly. It is important for us to protect vulnerable frontline communities (racial minority and low-income areas) that are systematically affected by ongoing environmental degradation. Establishing this office helps achieve that goal, and I commend Councilor cookiedamage on the work he has put in.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:45 PM »

I thank my colleague the Chancellor for his kind words, and I am glad we are united in pursuing this legislation. Environmental racism is a particular blight that we should strive to eliminate completely and that starts with establishing a way to investigate and fight it with policy and community involvement.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 09:08:33 PM »

Moving for a final vote, 24 hours to object, since everyone's concerns seem satisfied
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »

I second this motion
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 10:56:22 PM »

Opening up the final vote which will remain open for 48 hours, please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN

AYE
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 01:23:05 AM »

AYE
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »

aye
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »

Aye
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »

Aye
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 01:00:55 PM »

Closing early as everyone has voted, this passes 5-0-0-0

AYE: S019, cookiedamage, 20RP12, gracile, Gorguf
NAY:
ABSTAIN:
NOT VOTING:

X Speaker S019

Office of Environmental Justice Establishment Bill

Section I – Definitions

A. Environment – The environment, in this bill, is defined as the natural, biophysical, and built environment. The environment includes the air, water, and soil, as well as artificial environments and structures which interact with and impact the bodily health of individuals or groups of people.

D. Environmental justice – Environmental justice, in this bill, is defined as the fair and equitable treatment of people and communities with respect to the ways their natural, biophysical, and built environments affect their health and well-being. It includes the fair implementation of environmental law, policy, and procedure with no extra burden or benefit placed on persons or groups because of their race or ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, socioeconomic status, religion, or cultural identification. Environmental justice also analyses how the aggregate health of minority and/or low-income communities is often negatively impacted by environmental risks not present in privileged or wealthy communities. Environmental justice also seeks to identify, mitigate, or reverse environmental activities, policies, or phenomena which are found to have disproportionately negative effects on minority and/or low-income communities.

F.   The OEJ will be responsible for aiding the Department in:

A.   Appropriation will be determined by the Department of Agriculture and the Environment.

A.   This law shall take effect six months after being signed by the governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies