Let's debate Tulsi Gabbard
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:06:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Let's debate Tulsi Gabbard
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What are you general thoughts on Tulsi?
American War Hero, smeared by the left and right

Well intended but misunderstood

She's a mixed bag

Pro-Assad stooge for Russian interests

No strong opinion of her

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Let's debate Tulsi Gabbard  (Read 1632 times)
EJ24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »

?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »

These aren't mutually exclusive.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:20:35 PM »

A sellout national liberal that sees herself as the bottom line.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »

where is the evidence she is a Russian stooge?  (it seems like I've asked this before, here and elsewhere)  'cause, from the outside, she just seems like a young person who is against war so of course the Dem establishment wants nothing to do with that as they like war and the elderly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »

where is the evidence she is a Russian stooge?  (it seems like I've asked this before, here and elsewhere)  'cause, from the outside, she just seems like a young person who is against war so of course the Dem establishment wants nothing to do with that as they like war and the elderly.

Not sure about Russia specifically, but the more common complaint is about Syria.  On that one, the issue is that she took a trip to Assad-controlled territory and then came back regurgitating Assad propaganda (such as quoting people who called all the rebels “terrorists” and seeming to accept this as the balance of sentiment in the country), seemingly oblivious to the fact that she was only allowed to meet with pro-Assad people while there.  She even says that Assad told her that he's on board with free democratic elections in Syria, and she treated it like this was a serious statement of his position:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=276297.msg5897209#msg5897209
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »

Not sure about Russia specifically, but the more common complaint is about Syria.  On that one, the issue is that she took a trip to Assad-controlled territory and then came back regurgitating Assad propaganda (such as quoting people who called all the rebels “terrorists” and seeming to accept this as the balance of sentiment in the country), seemingly oblivious to the fact that she was only allowed to meet with pro-Assad people while there.  She even says that Assad told her that he's on board with free democratic elections in Syria, and she treated it like this was a serious statement of his position:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=276297.msg5897209#msg5897209

yeah, that's not a good look, and if that was it, it could probably be ignored, but I had forgotten about her homophobic connections and didn't know about the government surveillance efforts.  I blame Joe Rogan.

thank you
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 04:10:55 AM »

Kamala Harris already tried and failed to do this.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:20:42 AM »

Homophobic bigot, but excellent on foreign policy. Most of the people that have a problem with her meeting Assad can't seem to get as worked up about officials meeting with SA leaders, you know the government that financed 9/11, committed mass genocide in Yemen, threatened to build a nuclear waste pond around Qatar, etc.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2020, 10:16:26 AM by jaymichaud »

Mixed bag. I do like her image and some of her policies such as her views on foreign policy and law and order. But idk, there’s a lot of weird sh*t surrounding her like the Hare Krishna cult stuff.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »

I could see her given a second look (or someone like her) if Trump wins and the Republican Party holds at least the senate after 2022. It won't necessarily be her but she could be a kind of proto-Third Way if the Democrats remain unpopular into the 2020s.
Duro
Rookie
Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 05:55:37 AM »

No point discussing Gabbard. Her election campaign turned out to be a meltdown, noone ever remembers her.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »

who
Sam Smith
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »

I like her on foreign policy but on domestic issues she is too liberal for me.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »

I voted for her.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 04:03:59 PM »

I thought you voted for Biden?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:37 PM »

No. I just whipped votes for Biden.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »

Honestly a shame she couldn't get further momentum. She was one of the few candidates of any party I was willing to support. She would've given the Military Industrial Complex the middle finger it deserves. But alas, We don't always get nice things.
foolcase
boringindy
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 09:56:33 PM »

Terrible. We need someone more hawkish.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 02:28:07 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard is this weird contradictory figure that the more I learn about the more contradictory my views on her get. I'd say mixed bag, she was certainly in the top 10% of candidates for me but just so much stuff with her background and controversies throw red flags to me.

That said had she endorsed HRC in 2016 and continued her rising star of the Democratic Party path, I'm not so sure our emphasis on her failings would be so prevalent.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 03:02:36 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard is this weird contradictory figure that the more I learn about the more contradictory my views on her get. I'd say mixed bag, she was certainly in the top 10% of candidates for me but just so much stuff with her background and controversies throw red flags to me.

That said had she endorsed HRC in 2016 and continued her rising star of the Democratic Party path, I'm not so sure our emphasis on her failings would be so prevalent.

She gets a lot of unnecessary hate for having homophobic views when she was younger. While I obviously disagree with the opinions she once espoused, I think she has genuinely moved past them and has offered up a very credible explanation for why she evolved on that issue, as opposed to some political opportunists who transparently changed their views on gay marriage only when public opinion had first shifted. I also think we should cut her some slack given that she was raised in what seems to have been a rather insular cultish environment, which must have heavily influenced her when she was at an impressionable age. It's not easy to break that kind of conditioning, so I find that commendable on her part.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 03:05:45 AM »

Imagine supporting Bashar al-Assad in 2020
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2020, 12:31:21 PM by Everything Was Forever, Until It Was No More »

I think her or someone like her eventually becomes president if Trump remains president after this election and the Democrats never take full control of Congress in his second term. This could even happen much sooner if Democrats lose the house this year.

She  would be a Bill Clinton-type figure. Someone who is more or less a reliable Democrat, but wasn't  so much at the start, and still has "very conservative" views on a couple of things. However, those types of views would eventually be seen as what is needed to triangulate against Trumpism (pro-appeasement, "fair" trade, and anti-immigration) if it remains popular.

It would be like when Bill Clinton became pro-choice during the 80s but still staunchly defended his ideas on liberalized trade and finance, law and order (even if gun control horseshoed back hard)  and welfare reform but coupled them with taking good positions on gay rights, some tax increases on high earners, nuclear disarmament, environmentalism, and universal health care.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 01:47:14 PM »

Tulsi Gabbard is an ever-contrarian, someone who is left-leaning but feuds with the left more than she does with the right, and a big critic of U.S. foreign policy. She is basically me!
There you go. There is a path for someone who is either her or someone like her but I think that if Biden wins, she will never be president. Her path is if the establishment is discredited.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 07:48:39 AM »

Anti-gay Hindu.

All other answers are wrong.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies