Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)  (Read 9508 times)
Tartarus Sauce
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2020, 02:11:38 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Conventions are just giant, drunken soirées for party insiders. A night full of joviality and revelries while they go through the motions on symbolic delegate apportionment and the routine commitment to their principles through the platform. It’s a highly nominal affair that lost its substantive purpose awhile ago, so they have basically no effect on election results in the state.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »

Conventions are just giant, drunken soirées for party insiders. A night full of joviality and revelries while they go through the motions on symbolic delegate apportionment and the routine commitment to their principles through the platform. It’s a highly nominal affair that lost its substantive purpose awhile ago, so they have basically no effect on election results in the state.

TBF, even if conventions weren't nominal affairs I'm still not convinced they would have any effect on the outcomes in the host states.  Conventions have always been more of a media event rather than a local campaign event. 
wightblack

« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2020, 08:26:26 AM »

I bet that it goes to Jacksonville
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2020, 02:08:31 PM »

I think he's going to go Orlando since he absolutely cannot lose Florida.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »

I doubt there's any location in Orlando that would be willing to host a political convention for either party right now, especially on such short notice.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

I doubt there's any location in Orlando that would be willing to host a political convention for either party right now, especially on such short notice.

There's gotta be at least one venue owned by a conservative person.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:54 PM »

Come to Phoenix President Trump we would love to have you!
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »

Probably the Amway Center in Orlando.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2020, 07:59:30 PM »

Doesn't New Orleans also have a Dem governor in that state?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »

Jacksonville is the only city where they would get a buy in from the city and the mayor. The state can overrule whatever they want, but there is no way you can run a smooth and safe convention without local buy in.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »

Things are still on track for Charlotte to host the “official business” of the convention.  It’s possible that the only thing held elsewhere will be Trump’s acceptance speech, though we don’t know for sure.  Unclear how many of the delegates will have to actually be in Charlotte for “official business”:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/rnc-2020/article243232306.html

In a statement shortly after the president’s Tuesday night tweets, GOP Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said Charlotte would continue to host the “official business of the convention.”

That could include everything from meetings of the platform and rules committees to the actual roll-call nominations of President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence.

Trump’s acceptance speech would come elsewhere. It would be the first time a party convention has been held in two cities since 1860, when Democrats met first in Charleston and then, after a dispute over their slavery plank, in Baltimore.

At least part of the convention business would be held in Charlotte to abide by the city’s contract with the GOP’s Committee on Arrangements, party officials told the New York Times. There is no concrete definition of what constitutes a convention in the contract.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »

Phoenix in August must be like living on Venus.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »

There is absolutely no universe in which the convention will take place in New Orleans.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »

Phoenix in August must be like living on Venus.
Hey, it's not that bad! The air is hot, but it's a dry heat so you won't sweat that much.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2020, 04:13:50 AM »

Probably the Amway Center in Orlando.

The DeVoses only have the naming rights. The City owns and operates it and would be unlikely to like the logistical challenges.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »

Country roads, take Trump home, to the place where he belongs.....WV!  Home to 6 Federal Penitentiaries!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/republicans-look-multi-city-convention-trump-s-renomination-n1225331

As Republicans scramble to reboot the GOP convention, one option gaining traction is a multistate affair with major speeches and rallies in a variety of cities, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

Part of the appeal of the roadshow approach is that it could allow President Donald Trump to claim having commanded the highest-attended convention audience in history, they said, and to accept his renomination with all the fanfare he envisioned.

"I think it's going to be a glorified rally," a person familiar with the conversations said of the president's keynote address.
GOP officials are already on the ground in places like Orlando and Jacksonville, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Dallas; Phoenix; and New Orleans. They may also schedule scouting visits to Atlanta; Savannah, Georgia; and Las Vegas in the weeks to come.
One way that might work would be for rallies to feed into a venue in Charlotte by video on the first three nights of the convention, ending with delegates attending the president's keynote speech on the final night in person in a different city.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2020, 05:43:14 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »

Why must they absolutely go to Orlando?  Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida with a Republican mayor and a Republican-dominated city council, and since it looks like they are settling on it as the backup site for their convention, surely that can do just as good a job as Orlando would have done in shoring up Florida for November.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2020, 06:26:31 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 06:38:18 PM by New Frontier »

Why must they absolutely go to Orlando?  Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida with a Republican mayor and a Republican-dominated city council, and since it looks like they are settling on it as the backup site for their convention, surely that can do just as good a job as Orlando would have done in shoring up Florida for November.
Yeah, Jacksonville makes the most sense. Republican-controlled city and it's in Florida (Trump's "home state" for this election and a pivotal battleground state). Jacksonville is also the most populous city in Florida.

Jacksonville is also the largest city in America to be controlled by Republicans. San Diego has a Republican mayor (Kevin Faulconer) but the San Diego City Council is controlled by Democrats.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2020, 02:19:26 AM »

Trump may shoot himself in the foot with a split-city GOP convention (opinion)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »

wightblack

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »

Interesting. I didn’t know that the RNC is still contractually obligated to hold some functions in Charlotte.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »

Interesting. I didn’t know that the RNC is still contractually obligated to hold some functions in Charlotte.

I mean, i'm sure they've already put money down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies