TX-Quinnipiac: Trump +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:24:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  TX-Quinnipiac: Trump +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: TX-Quinnipiac: Trump +1  (Read 4540 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2020, 04:14:12 PM »

Junk it. Quinnipiac is not reliable after 2018
Trump will win by 5-7. 13% undecided? LOL

Is every poll skewed 4-5 points Dem in your opinion lol .

If Trump wants to be reelected , maybe he should act like a leader for once who cares about governing especially in a time of crises and if he had done that from like the beginning of this year then this election would have been almost a lock for him but instead he is still acting like this is 2016
There is a history of Trump being undercounted. It's not out of thin air.

The national polls undershot Trump's margin by... 1 point, not 4 or 5 or 6.

I'm pretty sure Texas polls have undershot Democrats by a lot more than that in both 2016 and 2018 (3 or 4 points both times).
Elections are decided in the states NOT nationally and the polls in Mi, WI, PA, FL were all wrong.
...and they were off by similar margins in Texas? What is so complicated.
Midwest is continuing to move R while TX, GA , AZ move away from Repubs everyone knows this which is why it is foolish to equate TX or AZ to the Midwest. Both movements are going on.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »

If Trump wants to be reelected , maybe he should act like a leader for once who cares about governing especially in a time of crises and if he had done that from like the beginning of this year then this election would have been almost a lock for him but instead he is still acting like this is 2016

I'm pretty sure Texas polls have undershot Democrats by a lot more than that in both 2016 and 2018 (3 or 4 points both times).
Elections are decided in the states NOT nationally and the polls in Mi, WI, PA, FL were all wrong.
Midwest is continuing to move R while TX, GA , AZ move away from Repubs everyone knows this which is why it is foolish to equate TX or AZ to the Midwest. Both movements are going on.
Umm... Yes? That's literally the point you were attempting to refute above.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »

In 2018 Quinnipiac was 51% Cruz 46% Beto. An earlier April poll with more undecideds had it 47%-44% Cruz. If anything, many polls throughout 2018 had a bigger Cruz lead. Quinnipiac has a good track record.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2020, 05:17:52 PM »

And yet you're still unskewing the polls for all of them in the same direction. Funny, that.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »

This poll is certainly plausible if the Fox News polls are as well.  The high-quality polls seem to be pointing in the same direction at the moment.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2020, 06:38:07 PM »

Either this or the Harper North Carolina poll from today is wrong. I don't see how Texas is closer than North Carolina.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »

Doesn't fit my priors blablabla
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »

An important caveat. The largest blocs of undecideds are voters under 35 independents, women, and minorities.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »

I think Texas will be within 3 points either way, but if Trump looses here Biden is probably getting 330+EVs
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2020, 09:11:20 PM »

New Poll: Texas President by Quinnipiac University on 2020-06-01

Summary: D: 43%, R: 44%, U: 10%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2020, 12:49:04 AM »

It's gonna be close, but democrats probably need another cycle to flip it.

It’s only close this year because of Trump.
In 2024, TX will be at least R+5 again.

I'm kind-of in this camp of thought.
But there is a small chance Biden can win it in 2020 (since trump is a disaster and Failure).
But in the near future, with a "more reasonable" Rep as the candidate, Texas will be Lean/Likely R (not to say that in 12 or 16 years, it may be a consistent toss-up-ish state).
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2020, 01:48:43 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 01:59:48 AM by Monstro »

Clearly this means Texas is solid R and Biden shouldn't waste any time spending money, fighting for legislative seats or solidifying a statewide frastructure that'd pay dividends down the road
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:34 AM »

I was skeptical of Quinnipiac, too, since they got FL 2018 wrong. BUT, just because one state turned out differently doesn't mean all of their polls are garbage. In TX, they slightly underestimated Beto. We also shouldn't assume pollsters don't learn from their errors.

Polls in TX have been relatively close this cycle across the board. You can discount a single one as outlier or for bad polling methodology, but it's getting increasingly hard to ignore this pattern here. TX is definitely more competitive than the GOP would like to see. I'm not convinced the Lone Star state will flip this November, but will be decided by the closest margin since at least 1976.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:37 AM »

I think Texas will be within 3 points either way, but if Trump looses here Biden is probably getting 330+EVs

If Trump loses here, he may get over 400.

Give or take an Iowa or ME-02, but Biden would still surpass 400 without them. He would have to win both Texas and Ohio, however. Neither is impossible based on the latest polling in those states.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »

Quinnipiac's final poll of Texas in 2018 was 51/46 Cruz, so not sure why people are saying they underestimated Beto considering they got the race damn near exactly right and clearly well within the margin of error.

Trump has bumbled his way into making Texas a toss-up. Incredible that the GOP didn't pull the trigger on this guy when they had a golden opportunity to. Imagine where the party would be right now if President Pence handled covid-19 in a competent manner.

I dunno.  If Trump had just randomly passed away or something, I agree that Pence would be in much better shape for November than Trump currently is now.  But if the Republican party had thrown him under the bus, I think a huge number of Republicans would be extremely pissed off and demoralized and would just stay home. Look at what happened to Republican turnout in the 74 midterms after Watergate.

Very possibly. Another possibility is that the covid-19 outbreak quickly runs everything out of the news cycle and practically eliminates the impeachment from public memory, as in our timeline. Assuming Pence performs anywhere similarly to the governors, Fox News would endlessly shill him and the wounds with the base would mend. He'd be, at least, slightly favored for (re)election.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »

Quinnipiac's final poll of Texas in 2018 was 51/46 Cruz, so not sure why people are saying they underestimated Beto considering they got the race damn near exactly right and clearly well within the margin of error.

Trump has bumbled his way into making Texas a toss-up. Incredible that the GOP didn't pull the trigger on this guy when they had a golden opportunity to. Imagine where the party would be right now if President Pence handled covid-19 in a competent manner.

I dunno.  If Trump had just randomly passed away or something, I agree that Pence would be in much better shape for November than Trump currently is now.  But if the Republican party had thrown him under the bus, I think a huge number of Republicans would be extremely pissed off and demoralized and would just stay home. Look at what happened to Republican turnout in the 74 midterms after Watergate.

Very possibly. Another possibility is that the covid-19 outbreak quickly runs everything out of the news cycle and practically eliminates the impeachment from public memory, as in our timeline. Assuming Pence performs anywhere similarly to the governors, Fox News would endlessly shill him and the wounds with the base would mend. He'd be, at least, slightly favored for (re)election.

Pence acing the coronavirus response is a pretty big assumption. The guy was an abject failure as governor and was on a smooth path to defeat until the moment Trump picked his as VP.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »

Trump and Unbeatable Titan John Cornyn are somehow less popular than the incredibly unpopular Ted Cruz with his +3 approval rating, aka the only reason a Democrat came within three percentage points of winning a Senate race in TX.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2020, 04:00:12 AM »

Trump and Unbeatable Titan John Cornyn are somehow less popular than the incredibly unpopular Ted Cruz with his +3 approval rating, aka the only reason a Democrat came within three percentage points of winning a Senate race in TX.

I'm not surprised about Trump, but in a way, I am about Cornyn. Cornyn has been a relative backbencher during his nearly twenty years in the Senate, and has been less controversial than Cruz. But I guess that Cruz's greater national visibility is of a net benefit with him to the base. And Abbott is significantly more popular than Trump, Cornyn, and Cruz.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2020, 05:23:41 AM »

The Hegar candidacy clearly backfired
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

I'm not surprised about Trump, but in a way, I am about Cornyn. Cornyn has been a relative backbencher during his nearly twenty years in the Senate, and has been less controversial than Cruz. But I guess that Cruz's greater national visibility is of a net benefit with him to the base. And Abbott is significantly more popular than Trump, Cornyn, and Cruz.

John Cornyn spent six years as GOP Whip, the #2 Republican in the Senate. He was just a nonentity at it, and now that that job has passed to Thune, Cornyn has de facto had a huge demotion.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies