Let's talk about Texas in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:14:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Let's talk about Texas in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Let's talk about Texas in 2020  (Read 1631 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:49 PM »

I think Beto hit the ceiling for at least one or two cycles. Cruz was hated in a way that Trump isn't in TX. I think it'll be within 2-3 points.

This seems right.  Beto/Cruz seems like the best case scenario for Democrats right now.  The Dems had a charismatic candidate and Ted Cruz is basically the worst human being alive.  So I don't see how Biden outperforms Beto even with some additional minority turnout.

I've met Cruz several times, and he's awkward, but actually quite nice and not that arrogant when you talk to him. Overall, he seems like a much better person than Trump.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »

I think the margin could be close, maybe something like a 3-4 Trump victory, but because the state is so large, and there are many groups pulling against eachother, the state is very inelasti and therefore, the national environment will be what matters most. Same is also sort of true for FL. I think TX will either suprise us with how much it goes to Trump or how little it goes to Trump by, and it won't be the margin people expect. Trump is not a good fit for the state, as Texas is more Reagan-Bush conservative.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55:38 PM »

I think Beto hit the ceiling for at least one or two cycles. Cruz was hated in a way that Trump isn't in TX. I think it'll be within 2-3 points.

This seems right.  Beto/Cruz seems like the best case scenario for Democrats right now.  The Dems had a charismatic candidate and Ted Cruz is basically the worst human being alive.  So I don't see how Biden outperforms Beto even with some additional minority turnout.

I've met Cruz several times, and he's awkward, but actually quite nice and not that arrogant when you talk to him. Overall, he seems like a much better person than Trump.

Texas is such a large state though, so he only is able to interact with a very very small portion of the electorate in person, unlike in a smaller state, the canidate is more local and has more of a personal connection with the community. I'm from NY, and even though I generally like my senators, I don't really feel I have a connection to them, and they seem more mainstream, but when I visited a freind in MT during the 2018 cycle and saw a few Tester ads, I felt that he had a mucher stronger connection to the community of MT.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »

I have Trump winning Texas by 5.
jake_arlington

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »

There is no doubt TX will trend D again in 2020, but I think the trend will slow down a bit from 2016. In 2012 TX went from R+20 to R+11 in 2016. I would guess that TX will trend around 3-4 points D in 2020, bringing it to R+7-8. In a Biden landslide, it could flip.

I believe the end result was +9 for Trump.

I predict a 5 point win for Trump in 2020

I believe the user was discussing about its lean
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »

I think Trump will do worse in Texas than he did in 2016 but I think he'll win it by a margin of 4-7%. Pre COVID, I actually thought Texas was one state Trump was actually going to improve his margins in, but thanks to the pandemic and thanks to it reeking havoc on the Oil Industry (at least early on in the crisis) I think he sees a reduced margin.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »

Well, RIP Texas chances I guess...
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2020, 07:24:19 PM »

There is no doubt TX will trend D again in 2020, but I think the trend will slow down a bit from 2016. In 2012 TX went from R+20 to R+11 in 2016. I would guess that TX will trend around 3-4 points D in 2020, bringing it to R+7-8. In a Biden landslide, it could flip.

I believe the end result was +9 for Trump.

I predict a 5 point win for Trump in 2020

I believe the user was discussing about its lean

Yea, Hillary won the NPV by 2 points, while losing TX by 9, making it R+11 in PVI.
MARGINS6729
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 12:42:30 AM »

Texas isn't in play IMO. Margins will be thinner but it's not going to flip this year. I'm predicting a 7 to 5 point Trump win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies