Do you feel sorry for people who live in areas that heavily vote against their party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:17:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you feel sorry for people who live in areas that heavily vote against their party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you feel sorry for people who live in areas that heavily vote against their party?
Yes

No

Only if they support my party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you feel sorry for people who live in areas that heavily vote against their party?  (Read 1381 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 02:19:48 AM »

No, I mostly just think that they're smarter than everyone else. Then again I'm probably biased.

Contrarianism is not a substitute for intelligence.

It's exponentially superior to blind capitulation.

That's a false choice. Joining the majority does not equate to blind capitulation.

Yes. Nor is it true that a person who goes against prevailing social winds is necessarily a contrarian.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:46 AM »

No, I mostly just think that they're smarter than everyone else. Then again I'm probably biased.

That's a false choice. Joining the majority does not equate to blind capitulation.

Yes. Nor is it true that a person who goes against prevailing social winds is necessarily a contrarian.

Perhaps. Regardless, that doesn't make them "smarter than everyone else."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:37 AM »

We just have to accept it Sad We can't aspire to the level of intelligence of a libertarian in Berkley, what with all the leathersuit-wearing communists all around
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:39 AM »

We just have to accept it Sad We can't aspire to the level of intelligence of a libertarian in Berkley, what with all the leathersuit-wearing communists all around

He is truly a beacon of  hope to all oppressed, right-wing, upper-middle-class 19 year olds standing strong against the mindless and subjective liberal dogma which infests America's major metropolitan areas.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2020, 04:18:00 AM »

How about not everything in life is about politics lol.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2020, 05:38:49 AM »

Mmm...undecided.  Tilt-to-lean disagree. 
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »

It's not a problem in Poland, since we have a popular presidential vote and proportional representation for Sejm.

I mean I imagine the uber conservative rural Southeast of Poland has a very different feel culturally and what not than a place like the western cities of Szcecin or Wroclaw?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »

My district is R+14 and honestly it doesn't feel that bad.
Kyng
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:59 PM »

If the electoral system means their votes essentially count for nothing (for example, the Westminster system, or the winner-take-all Electoral College), then I feel a little bit sorry for them for that reason.

On the other hand, if the electoral system still takes their votes into account (for example, a nationwide popular vote, or a proportional Electoral College), then... not particularly.

I'd probably feel sorry for them if the political differences were a symptom of something deeper (for example, they were a marginalised minority); however, in that case, I'd feel sorry for them because of whatever's causing the political differences, and not the political differences themselves.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »

No.  A conservative can love the vibrant nightlife of the city, and a liberal can love the beautiful scenery and fresh air of a rural area.  Both might live there 110% intentionally, and if that's the case they did not choose the area based on its political leanings.

Thankfully, most people outside of Atlas types don't think about politics 24/7, and especially not when choosing where to live, whom to be friends with, where to vacation, etc. (though, I admit, this is getting worse...).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »

Unironically correct.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »

Mmm...undecided.  Tilt-to-lean disagree. 

Discuss with maps.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »

Unironically correct.

Dule, shut the f#ck up.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »

No.  A conservative can love the vibrant nightlife of the city, and a liberal can love the beautiful scenery and fresh air of a rural area.  Both might live there 110% intentionally, and if that's the case they did not choose the area based on its political leanings.

Thankfully, most people outside of Atlas types don't think about politics 24/7, and especially not when choosing where to live, whom to be friends with, where to vacation, etc. (though, I admit, this is getting worse...).

Look at the poll , more people on Atlas have answered no than yes
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »

Look at the poll , more people on Atlas have answered no than yes

That doesn't mean anything...?  One quick example for you is someone who votes "No" with the attitude of, "Well, I don't feel sorry for them because they should move to an area more politically aligned with their views."  That is still a politics-dominated "No" vote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »

Unironically correct.

Dule, shut the f#ck up.
classy!
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »

As a Democrat raised in Oklahoma, no not really.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »

Not really. There are reasons why people live where they do beyond politics. But I could definitely feel sympathy if it's an instance like being a trans person living in an area where people are hostile to the concept or refuse to understand it, or something like that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2020, 01:45:29 AM »

See, if I were a petty partisan, I'd be reporting this for a "personal attack" or something right now. How fortunate for those who disagree with me that I, unlike them, recognize their right to freely speak their minds.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2020, 02:10:44 AM »

See, if I were a petty partisan, I'd be reporting this for a "personal attack" or something right now. How fortunate for those who disagree with me that I, unlike them, recognize their right to freely speak their minds.

Glad to hear it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 02:12:47 AM »

This doesn't exactly count, but I'd absolutely rule out living in a place like Nassau County where cops and cop lovers make up a significant portion of the population.  Republican or Democrat, most of the politicians in those areas are owned by the police unions.  Nassau County's even worse in that they don't even want you owning a gun to protect yourself, instead you put yourself fully at the mercy of the police.  Not ideal.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2020, 04:00:35 AM »

Glad to hear it.

The Dule abides.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:24 AM »

Not really for purely political reasons, but, if political differences really come from not fitting in with an area culturally or not being able to find people with similar values/morals, than somewhat.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »

As a Democrat raised in Oklahoma, no not really.

"Democrats of Oklahoma" President: "Don't worry boys, we'll get a county one of these days!"
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies