Biden's policy website leans heavily anti-BDS anti-Palestinian
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden's policy website leans heavily anti-BDS anti-Palestinian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Biden's policy website leans heavily anti-BDS anti-Palestinian  (Read 2849 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:21 AM »

Wiping Israel off the map is never going to be an option. The litmus test that some people want from Democratic nominees is never going to be met.
LOL

Boycotting the current Israeli administration = wiping Israel off the map? C'mon man...

Nope. Boycotting products from the West Bank produced under the current Israeli administration = wiping Israel off the map, apparently. The BDS movement has some shady characters in it, but the anti-boycotting bills are interfering with the free market for no social good other than supporting businesses in the settlements. How is that much different from banning the fair-trade standard, for instance?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 09:33:49 AM »

In American politics there are only two acceptable positions on Israel, pro-Israel (Obama, Sanders ect.) and super pro-Israel (Trump, Biden ect.).
Sanders is hardly pro Israel.  His lack of support for Israel were a factor in me voting for Biden over him.  We need someone like Biden to take a strong pro Israel stance to prevent the Republicans from monopolizing the issue
You have more or less confirmed his statement with that bizarre claim. Only the existence of the extreme pro-Israel majority can make Sanders' qualified support of Israel be considered not "pro-Israel".

I think you’re arguing different things here. If by Pro-Israel you mean, doesn’t think Israel should be destroyed then yes Sanders is pro-Israel. But not hating a country isn’t generally considered the threshold for being “Pro” it. By that logic anyone who supports a Palestinian state is Pro-Palestine.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »

Very good.  BDS needs to be stamped out. 
It has an important and great message though. Surely you aren't against that? So let's say it gets wiped out and replaced soon enough by a new movement with new leaders that's identical in size and message but without the leaders who you claim are racist and msy or may not be. What are your issues with this new almost identical movement exactly?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 08:57:31 PM »

Very good.  BDS needs to be stamped out.
It has an important and great message though. Surely you aren't against that? So let's say it gets wiped out and replaced soon enough by a new movement with new leaders that's identical in size and message but without the leaders who you claim are racist and msy or may not be. What are your issues with this new almost identical movement exactly?

There shouldn't be a movement at all.  Anti-Israel sentiment should be as marginalized and ostracized as neo-Nazi sentiment.  If any of these white teenagers who support BDS ever spent a week in Palestine or Lebanon they would change their tune real quick.

Israel was an abandoned wasteland in the 19th century, that was why the British let the Jews have it in the first place.  The Israeli Jews have worked tirelessly to build a modern, decent society in what was once a miserable desert.  Their country, built from scratch, is one where you can live a decent, safe life as a member of the most oppressed minority group in the history of the world, a minority group that was the target of the largest genocide in history.  They have managed to build this country despite most of the developed world oscillating between foot-dragging non-opposition and seething hatred.  When Hitler ruled Germany, for instance, the British took up arms to prevent German Jews from defying quota by immigrating to Israel.

They have also managed to build this thoroughly decent country despite an absolute outpouring of bigotry and hatred from their neighbors.  These neighbors desire nothing more than to complete what Hitler started by "driving the Jews into the sea."  They have tried, on three separate occasions, to accomplish that goal by teaming up to murder all the Jews in Israel.  Israel won all three of those wars despite facing overwhelming odds (and dealing with broken promises from the rest of the world).  As part of winning those wars (which they did not start), they conquered territory, but were forced by their western "allies" to give most of it back to the people who had just tried to kill them.

Some of the territory, they kept.  Some of this was territory originally promised to them anyway, and other parts of it are strategically important locations to prevent more wars.  Although their Muslim neighbors, had they conquered Israel, would have exterminated every Jew on sight, the Jews try to coexist peacefully with the Muslims in these conquered territories.  Unfortunately, the Muslims react to this peaceful coexistence by organizing mass-murder brigades and electing, as their leadership, a group dedicated to destroying all Jews.  Thus Israel is in a constant state of war and has to defend itself against threats both from within and from without.  Remember they also have had to deal with Iran and Iraq trying to get nuclear, biological and chemical weapons with the expressed intent of using those weapons to obliterate Israel.

But in America, the average white college student doesn't learn any of this.  Your average kid doesn't know a damn thing about the history of Israel.  They don't know what "intafada" means.  They don't even know who Hamas or Hezbollah are.  They don't recognize the name "Yasser Arafat."  All they know about Israel is a bunch of extreme-left propaganda about how Israel is a cruel, oppressive government that commits daily atrocities against the poor, sweet, innocent Palestinian civilians while illegally occupying their land.

Let me ask you something.  Why do you not hold the Palestinians, or any of Israel's neighbors, to the same standard as Israel?

Imagine if Israel were to develop biological weapons, say they had several factories producing anthrax bombs, and they explicitly said they wanted these biological weapons so they could exterminate the Palestinians.

Imagine if Israel had, in its constitution, a desire to "drive the Muslims into the gulf."  Imagine if Israel organized and armed militias to commit daily atrocities against Palestinian civilians.  Imagine if Israel sponsored terrorist groups in Jordan to go around blowing up school buses and hospitals.  Imagine if Israel had a huge propaganda machine dedicated to spreading anti-Muslim sentiment.  Imagine if Israel taught in its schools that the Muslims were all monsters who needed to be destroyed like weeds.

Imagine if Israel had, in the 1960s-70s, refused any peace talks until all Muslims agreed to leave the Palestinian territory.  But they didn't do that.  It was the Muslim nations refusing any peace until the Jews left Israel.

Imagine if Israel had treated the conquered Muslims the same way the Muslims intended to treat the conquered Jews.

Why is it that, despite all of this, the Jews are the bad guys and the Muslims are the good guys?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:52 PM »

There shouldn't be a movement at all.  Anti-Israel sentiment should be as marginalized and ostracized as neo-Nazi sentiment.

Why is it that, despite all of this, the Jews are the bad guys and the Muslims are the good guys?
I'm going to explain this to you again, though you probably will ignore it again too. The people running Israel right now - regardless of their ethnity and regardless of their religion - are doing some bad stuff. YES, Palestine isn't a perfect actor either. This movement is to put pressure on Israel to stop doing that bad stuff, which many view as an important goal for peace and justice. Is some percentage of the movement anti-semetic? It seems pretty likely that some would be, yeah. Does that mean the stated goals and objectives of the movement are anti-semetic? No, that's illogical.

They have also managed to build this thoroughly decent country despite an absolute outpouring of bigotry and hatred from their neighbors.  These neighbors desire nothing more than to complete what Hitler started by "driving the Jews into the sea."  They have tried, on three separate occasions, to accomplish that goal by teaming up to murder all the Jews in Israel.  Israel won all three of those wars despite facing overwhelming odds (and dealing with broken promises from the rest of the world).  As part of winning those wars (which they did not start), they conquered territory, but were forced by their western "allies" to give most of it back to the people who had just tried to kill them.

Imagine if Israel had, in the 1960s-70s, refused any peace talks until all Muslims agreed to leave the Palestinian territory.  But they didn't do that.  It was the Muslim nations refusing any peace until the Jews left Israel.

Imagine if Israel had treated the conquered Muslims the same way the Muslims intended to treat the conquered Jews.
White American colonialists came and wiped out natives while enslaving blacks. Those people are dead now. Lots of the Palestinians who invaded Israel are old or dead now. You can't blame young people who weren't involved with that by association.

Let me ask you something.  Why do you not hold the Palestinians, or any of Israel's neighbors, to the same standard as Israel?

Imagine if Israel were to develop biological weapons, say they had several factories producing anthrax bombs, and they explicitly said they wanted these biological weapons so they could exterminate the Palestinians.

Imagine if Israel had, in its constitution, a desire to "drive the Muslims into the gulf."  Imagine if Israel organized and armed militias to commit daily atrocities against Palestinian civilians.  Imagine if Israel sponsored terrorist groups in Jordan to go around blowing up school buses and hospitals.  Imagine if Israel had a huge propaganda machine dedicated to spreading anti-Muslim sentiment.  Imagine if Israel taught in its schools that the Muslims were all monsters who needed to be destroyed like weeds.
There is a lot in Palestine that should be condemned, and I condemn it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to ALSO condemn Israel for the things they should be condemned for. I'm not "choosing sides". I am in tne side of justice and peace, regardless of who tbat requires me to condemn.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »

In American politics there are only two acceptable positions on Israel, pro-Israel (Obama, Sanders ect.) and super pro-Israel (Trump, Biden ect.).
Sanders is hardly pro Israel.  His lack of support for Israel were a factor in me voting for Biden over him.  We need someone like Biden to take a strong pro Israel stance to prevent the Republicans from monopolizing the issue
You have more or less confirmed his statement with that bizarre claim. Only the existence of the extreme pro-Israel majority can make Sanders' qualified support of Israel be considered not "pro-Israel".

Yup. It's amazing how anyone who voted to have hundreds of millions of dollars fund Iron Dome so that Israel could avoid taking damage when they randomly decide to attack Gaza could be called anti-Israel.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 10:21:59 PM »

There shouldn't be a movement at all.  Anti-apartheid sentiment should be as marginalized and ostracized as neo-Nazi sentiment.  If any of these white teenagers who support the AAM ever spent a week in Zimbabwe or Swaziland they would change their tune real quick.

South Africa was an abandoned wasteland in the 19th century, that was why the British let the Boers have it in the first place.  The Afrikaners have worked tirelessly to build a modern, decent society in what was once a miserable desert.  They have managed to build this country despite most of the developed world oscillating between foot-dragging non-opposition and seething hatred.

They have also managed to build this thoroughly decent country despite an absolute outpouring of bigotry and hatred from their neighbors.  These neighbors desire nothing more than to complete what Mugabe started by "driving the Afrikaners into the sea."  They have tried, on three separate occasions, to accomplish that goal by teaming up to murder all the Afrikaners in South Africa.  South Africa won all of those wars despite facing overwhelming odds (and dealing with broken promises from the rest of the world).  As part of winning those wars (which they did not start), they conquered territory, but were forced by their western "allies" to give most of it back to the people who had just tried to kill them.

Some of the territory, they kept.  Some of this was territory originally promised to them anyway, and other parts of it are strategically important locations to prevent more wars.  Although their African neighbors, had they conquered South Africa, would have exterminated every Boer on sight, the Boers try to coexist peacefully with the Black Africans in these conquered territories.  Unfortunately, the Black Africans react to this peaceful coexistence by organizing mass-murder brigades and electing, as their leadership, a group dedicated to destroying all Afrikaners.  Thus South Africa is in a constant state of war and has to defend itself against threats both from within and from without.

But in America, the average white college student doesn't learn any of this.  Your average kid doesn't know a damn thing about the history of South Africa.  They don't know what "poqo" means.  They don't even know who the BCM or UDF are.  They don't recognize the name "Nelson Mandela."  All they know about South Africa is a bunch of extreme-left propaganda about how South Africa is a cruel, oppressive government that commits daily atrocities against the poor, sweet, innocent Black African civilians while illegally occupying their land.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »

We’ll always be hypocrites when we’re constantly fighting a war on terror and yet unabashedly supporting Israel no matter what they do. #FreePalestine
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 10:49:15 PM »

I'm going to explain this to you again, though you probably will ignore it again too. The people running Israel right now - regardless of their ethnity and regardless of their religion - are doing some bad stuff.

Every country has people doing bad stuff.  There are plenty of countries right now doing far worse things on a daily basis than Israel has ever done in its near-century of existence.  I don't see any mass movements targeting any of those other countries.  It's just Israel that we're oh-so-concerned about. Funny how the bar for Israel is always a million miles higher than every other country.  I wonder why that is?

Let's take an example.  Palestine is the only country that is actively sponsoring a terrorist guerilla movement against civilians and justifying it with hatred and bigotry.  I don't see any mass movement to BDS Palestine.

It's all hypocrisy.  Most of these people don't really care that Israel didn't get medical care to some Palestinian woman quickly enough or whatever.  It's a motte-and-bailey strategy.  The goal of the movement is the obliteration of Israel.  And it gets support from a lot of naive people who don't realize that and legitimately believe this propaganda that Israel is some sort of rogue oppressive police state.

White American colonialists came and wiped out natives while enslaving blacks. Those people are dead now. Lots of the Palestinians who invaded Israel are old or dead now. You can't blame young people who weren't involved with that by association.

Just in the last year, thousands of rockets have been fired into Israel by Palestinian terrorist groups.  It's not like this is ancient history that Israel is using as justification for continued militarization.  The official elected governing body of Palestine, as elected by its people, is at war with Israel today.

There is a lot in Palestine that should be condemned, and I condemn it. That doesn't mean I'm not going to ALSO condemn Israel for the things they should be condemned for. I'm not "choosing sides". I am in tne side of justice and peace, regardless of who tbat requires me to condemn.

This is just both-sides-ism.  That's like saying America and Japan were both bad because, yes the Rape of Nanking happened and we condemn it, but also, internment!  So let's sanction America and never talk about Japan.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2020, 02:34:18 AM »

Not really surprising and not really newsworthy tbh.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2020, 03:08:31 AM »

Every country has people doing bad stuff.  There are plenty of countries right now doing far worse things on a daily basis than Israel has ever done in its near-century of existence.  I don't see any mass movements targeting any of those other countries.  It's just Israel that we're oh-so-concerned about. Funny how the bar for Israel is always a million miles higher than every other country.  I wonder why that is?

Let's take an example.  Palestine is the only country that is actively sponsoring a terrorist guerilla movement against civilians and justifying it with hatred and bigotry.  I don't see any mass movement to BDS Palestine.

This is just both-sides-ism.  That's like saying America and Japan were both bad because, yes the Rape of Nanking happened and we condemn it, but also, internment!  So let's sanction America and never talk about Japan.
I'm glad to condemn Palestine for some of their actions, but Israel is in Palestine's land stealing it and invading it while the world turns a blind eye. Even Russia has been condemned and sanctioned for stealing Crimea. This is why I support BDS, otherwise I would condemn Israel but possibly not boycott it.

It's all hypocrisy.  Most of these people don't really care that Israel didn't get medical care to some Palestinian woman quickly enough or whatever.  It's a motte-and-bailey strategy.  The goal of the movement is the obliteration of Israel.  And it gets support from a lot of naive people who don't realize that and legitimately believe this propaganda that Israel is some sort of rogue oppressive police state.
Most BDS supporters on this side of the pond that I know aren't anti-semetic or pro-Hezzbollah. If there were two "boycott Israel" movements and one had less of a reputation for having a few anti-semites, I would obviously support the other. The CAUSE is noble, and the battle needs to be waged to convince Israel to move off of Palestinian land. People don't get to say somebody hates jews because they support that movement. I'd love to see a POTUS candidate support Palestine or AT LEAST support Israel less enthusiastically.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 06:43:04 AM »

Good. BDS is trash.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 09:27:02 AM »

If the Linda Sarsour/BDS wing ran the Democratic Party, it would have a coalition a lot like it did in the 1980s but without anything in Congress.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »

This is unsurprising. Support for Israel is still mainstream in the Democratic Party. Regardless of that though, I would still expect more deference to Palestinian interests from Biden than from Trump, easily. To not want to support Biden because of this ignores how much more the corrupt due o Bibi and Trump will undermine any attempts at peace between Israel and Palestine.

As for the anti-BDS aspect, I have no issues with it. If anything, BDS diminishes the credibility of pro-two state advocates. They don't do favors to anyone and shouldn't be encouraged.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »

Every country has people doing bad stuff.  There are plenty of countries right now doing far worse things on a daily basis than Israel has ever done in its near-century of existence.  I don't see any mass movements targeting any of those other countries.  It's just Israel that we're oh-so-concerned about. Funny how the bar for Israel is always a million miles higher than every other country.  I wonder why that is?

I'm glad to condemn Palestine for some of their actions, but Israel is in Palestine's land stealing it and invading it while the world turns a blind eye. Even Russia has been condemned and sanctioned for stealing Crimea. This is why I support BDS, otherwise I would condemn Israel but possibly not boycott it.

Most BDS supporters on this side of the pond that I know aren't anti-semetic or pro-Hezzbollah. If there were two "boycott Israel" movements and one had less of a reputation for having a few anti-semites, I would obviously support the other. The CAUSE is noble, and the battle needs to be waged to convince Israel to move off of Palestinian land. People don't get to say somebody hates jews because they support that movement. I'd love to see a POTUS candidate support Palestine or AT LEAST support Israel less enthusiastically.

There is a reason I refuse to talk about the conflict anymore, I have made my views pretty clear where I stand, all it ends up doing is pissing myself off and others, it's definitely an off limits convo in my family with others.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »

Very good.  BDS needs to be stamped out.

There shouldn't be a movement at all.  Anti-Israel sentiment should be as marginalized and ostracized as neo-Nazi sentiment.  If any of these white teenagers who support BDS ever spent a week in Palestine or Lebanon they would change their tune real quick.

Israel was an abandoned wasteland in the 19th century, that was why the British let the Jews have it in the first place.  The Israeli Jews have worked tirelessly to build a modern, decent society in what was once a miserable desert.  Their country, built from scratch, is one where you can live a decent, safe life as a member of the most oppressed minority group in the history of the world, a minority group that was the target of the largest genocide in history.  They have managed to build this country despite most of the developed world oscillating between foot-dragging non-opposition and seething hatred.  When Hitler ruled Germany, for instance, the British took up arms to prevent German Jews from defying quota by immigrating to Israel.

Some of the territory, they kept.  Some of this was territory originally promised to them anyway, and other parts of it are strategically important locations to prevent more wars.  Although their Muslim neighbors, had they conquered Israel, would have exterminated every Jew on sight, the Jews try to coexist peacefully with the Muslims in these conquered territories.  Unfortunately, the Muslims react to this peaceful coexistence by organizing mass-murder brigades and electing, as their leadership, a group dedicated to destroying all Jews.  Thus Israel is in a constant state of war and has to defend itself against threats both from within and from without.  Remember they also have had to deal with Iran and Iraq trying to get nuclear, biological and chemical weapons with the expressed intent of using those weapons to obliterate Israel.

But in America, the average white college student doesn't learn any of this.  Your average kid doesn't know a damn thing about the history of Israel.  They don't know what "intafada" means.  They don't even know who Hamas or Hezbollah are.  They don't recognize the name "Yasser Arafat."  All they know about Israel is a bunch of extreme-left propaganda about how Israel is a cruel, oppressive government that commits daily atrocities against the poor, sweet, innocent Palestinian civilians while illegally occupying their land.

I know that you mean well - I really do - but the bolded part actually kinda diminishes what happened in the Holocaust in a way that, speaking as a Jewish-American, left a not great taste in my mouth.  It also happens to be both untrue and play into the hands of BDSers who claim that folks are conflating anti-Israel with anti-Semitic comments.  I agree with a lot of what you said in this post, but I felt this really needed to be said.  So, maybe...you know...don't say that anymore?  Please?

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that BDS is an anti-Semitic hate group led by people who desperately want to see people like me in a pine box six feet under the ground just because we're Jewish.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »

I know that you mean well - I really do - but the bolded part actually kinda diminishes what happened in the Holocaust in a way that, speaking as a Jewish-American, left a not great taste in my mouth.  It also happens to be both untrue and play into the hands of BDSers who claim that folks are conflating anti-Israel with anti-Semitic comments.  I agree with a lot of what you said in this post, but I felt this really needed to be said.  So, maybe...you know...don't say that anymore?  Please?

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that BDS is an anti-Semitic hate group led by people who desperately want to see people like me in a pine box six feet under the ground just because we're Jewish.

My intent was not to conflate BDS with the Holocaust, I'm sorry if it came out that way.  I was comparing it to other hate groups that are socially ostracized.  It originally wrote "white supremacy" but changed it because that left the door open to some snarky "ackshually white supremacy is mainstream now thanks to Trump" response.

It's a movement based in hatred of an ethnic/religious group.  Its core principles stem from Palestinian propaganda spread by middle-eastern nations that hate Israel and would love to see all the Jews murdered.  It should be treated exactly the same as other hate groups spreading their perverted realities.
jdk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.68, S: -5.39

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2020, 07:56:39 AM »

Anybody  that runs for office with the likes of Linda Sarsour and Rashida Talib as surrogates can not be called pro Israel.  He Also not only refused to speak at AIPAC, but called them a “hate group”.   
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »

Great news. The BDS movement and its Strasserist adherents need to be crushed like the racist dogs they are. It's never been remotely effective at isolating Israel, but it's been pretty effective at terrorizing diaspora Jews. It's a hate group and I'm glad Biden's opposition to hate groups is consistent! Next he should campaign with Michelle Caruso-Cabrera in Queens.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »

Too bad AOC's opponent isn't exactly a good one for center-left Dems to jump on.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aocs-democratic-challenger-lived-in-trump-tower-before-moving-queens-2020-4
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »

To be fair to Biden pledges, just two bullet points above his anti-BDS pledge, to

Reverse the Trump Administration’s destructive cutoff of diplomatic ties with the Palestinian Authority and cancellation of assistance programs that support Israeli-Palestinian security cooperation, economic development, and humanitarian aid for the Palestinian people in the West Bank and Gaza...

and notes further up,

Work with the Israeli and Palestinian leadership to support peacebuilding efforts in the region. Biden will urge Israel’s government and the Palestinian Authority to take steps to keep the prospect of a negotiated two-state outcome alive and avoid actions, such as unilateral annexation of territory and settlement activity, or support for incitement and violence, that undercut prospects for peace between the parties

I mean maybe it's just empty rhetoric, but let's stop pretending that Biden is somehow anti-Palestine just because he opposes a movement that has many problems, including some very real problems with anti-Semitism. Just as criticism of Israel isn't always anti-Semitic, support for Israel isn't inherently anti-Palestinian. Even Mahmoud Abbas has said he doesn't support a general boycott of Israeli goods. You can support a Palestinian state while at the same time holding that Israel has a right to exist, and that is what I think Biden's campaign is doing.     
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »

To be fair to Biden pledges, just two bullet points above his anti-BDS pledge, to

Reverse the Trump Administration’s destructive cutoff of diplomatic ties with the Palestinian Authority and cancellation of assistance programs that support Israeli-Palestinian security cooperation, economic development, and humanitarian aid for the Palestinian people in the West Bank and Gaza...

and notes further up,

Work with the Israeli and Palestinian leadership to support peacebuilding efforts in the region. Biden will urge Israel’s government and the Palestinian Authority to take steps to keep the prospect of a negotiated two-state outcome alive and avoid actions, such as unilateral annexation of territory and settlement activity, or support for incitement and violence, that undercut prospects for peace between the parties

I mean maybe it's just empty rhetoric, but let's stop pretending that Biden is somehow anti-Palestine just because he opposes a movement that has many problems, including some very real problems with anti-Semitism. Just as criticism of Israel isn't always anti-Semitic, support for Israel isn't inherently anti-Palestinian. Even Mahmoud Abbas has said he doesn't support a general boycott of Israeli goods. You can support a Palestinian state while at the same time holding that Israel has a right to exist, and that is what I think Biden's campaign is doing.     

Yeah, Biden's approach is likely to be somewhere between Clinton and Obama's, which is middle of the road but acceptable. Sanders' approach was far afield of anything the Democrats have historically been open to.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2020, 02:15:39 PM »

I think you’re arguing different things here. If by Pro-Israel you mean, doesn’t think Israel should be destroyed then yes Sanders is pro-Israel. But not hating a country isn’t generally considered the threshold for being “Pro” it. By that logic anyone who supports a Palestinian state is Pro-Palestine.
No, by pro-Israel I mean somehow who supports all the help the US is providing to Israel. Sanders is   for that, but demands that Israel show that they are sincerely interested in an just solution for the conflict wth the Palestinians. It's qualified support, but it's still support.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »

Israel was an abandoned wasteland in the 19th century, that was why the British let the Jews have it in the first place.  The Israeli Jews have worked tirelessly to build a modern, decent society in what was once a miserable desert.
Apart from legitimising colonisation, it's amazing that this ridiculous bilge is repeated, considering how far from the truth it is. When the British took over, Palestine was among the most densely populated parts of the Middle East 29 per sq km. This was substantially higher than most American states at the time, including many that were long settled (the population density for a place no longer to be considered part of the frontier was 13 times lower than that). It was higher than Anatolia and certainly higher than the vast majority of Africa (I have some doubts that you would stand unironically behind this post). And that's not counting the Negev, the only actual desert in Israel, which was nearly unsettled both then and now. You can't get elementary facts about history and geography right, yet have the audacity to lecture others about their ignorance.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies