hillsborough county nh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  hillsborough county nh
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: hillsborough county nh  (Read 5257 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:55:46 PM »

it's the largest county in nh and the one with the most massachusetts refugees.

one would be tempted to say that it is 'trnding' democrat.  however, upon a closer exaination, it appears that the county was much more democratic in the 60s than it is today (going dem in 60, 64, and 68).  since 68, it has only gone dem once (96).

there is little doubt the county isnt as republican as it was in the 80s.  it appears to have taken a hard turn to the right, and since 88 had a bit of a leftward adjustment.

discuss.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 11:16:34 PM »

Lack of enthusasiam for Dole seems to have done him in with that county, probably.  The 2004 results are a slight uptick from 2000 (Bush got a majority of the vote in 04, whereas he didn't four years prior).  Is this county thought of as the reason why NH trended more Democrat?  It seems like Republicans used to sweep every county in the state, at least up to 1988.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 12:31:47 AM »

I can pretty much say that any state is trending however I want it to trend if I compare it to a convenient year.

Hillsborough County was pretty much a wash this year, owing part to Manchester's surprising flip to the GOP.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:58:03 AM »

What's also kind of funny is that Deering, NH (in Hillsborough County) tied in both 1996 and 2004.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:25:52 AM »

I suspect that this county, like much of NH, has a strong libertarian bent and is skeptical of both parties, now that the Republicans have dropped all pretense of advocating smaller government.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »

I can pretty much say that any state is trending however I want it to trend if I compare it to a convenient year.

very good point, alcon.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 06:04:11 PM »

Back in the 60s it wasn't chock full of Mass. refugees yet. It was probably somewhat like neighboring Essex Co Mass back then...
But yeah, Hillsborough & Rockingham were still moving Rep in 2004 (slower than the national average though, so kind of not). It's SW New Hampshire (giant college turnout) and N New Hampshire (gays instead of guns) that trended heavily Dem in 04.
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 12:11:09 PM »

This county is definitely not the reason the state is trending Democratic.  Hillsborough and Rockingham are the two largest counties.  Over half the population lives in one of these two counties.  These two counties are staying stagnant, but other counties in the state such as Cheshire, Sullivan, and Coos are taking hard turns to the left.  Carroll County is still Republican, but it is moving leftward.  No Democrat has ever carried Carroll County in a Presidential race (even LBJ), but George Bush only defeated Kerry 52-47 there.  The reason for NH trending Democratic is because of the other 8 counties in the state.  NOT because of Hillsborough and Rockingham
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »

I was surprised when I saw the map of NH in 2004. I was watching Manchester and the Southeastern border when it was the Vermont Border that flipped the state to the dems.

I picked Kerry to win NH, but for the wrong reason.
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

I did a little study to show the demographics of the different counties in the state.  NH as a whole went for Bush by 1 point in 2000 and Kerry by 2 in 2004.  The country was tied up between Bush and Gore in 2000 and went for Bush by 3 in 2004.  So while the country shifted 3 points right, NH shifted 3 points left, making it trend 6 points to the left in 4 years.  I did the same thing with the counties in NH.  The only two where Bush actually increased his margin of victory were Hillsborough and Rockingham.  Even there he won Hillsborough by 2 in 2000 and by 3 in 2004.  In Rockingham he won by 3 in 2000 and by 4 in 2004.  The country as a whole shifted 3 points right while these counties shifted 1 point right, therefore they shifted 2 points to the left compared to the nation as a whole.  In the 8 other counties Bush did worse in 2004 than he did in 2000.  I gave Hillsborough and Rockingham a score of negative 2 since they shifted 2 points to the left of the country as a whole.  I used the same formula for other counties comparing the Bush-Gore and Bush-Kerry margins to the national margins.  Belknap, which is a Republican upscale county with a lot of lakefront property shifted 7 points left with respect to the national average.  It still went Republican, but Kerry didn't get spanked as hard as Gore.  Merrimack which is where Concord is and surrounding suburbs has a lot of state employees.  This county went strong against Governor Benson.  Kerry increased the margin Gore had gotten in 2000, but it was still only a negative 7.  Strafford county which is the home of the university and a traditionally Democratic county also got a negative 7.  This county is geographically closer to Maine than Vermont.  Next is Carroll County, a very poor county where people don't want to take anything free from the government but don't want to give anything either.  This is a Northern county settled by WASPs.  There is an influx of new voters, but Bush still carried the county by 5 points.  He had defeated Gore there by 12 points, making it score a negative 10.  This was one of only 2 New England counties (the other being Belknap, NH) to opt for Bob Dole in 1996.  Carroll has never voted Democratic in a Presidential race and only twice in Gubernatorial races.  The remaining 4 counties are the 4 touching the Vermont border, and they are getting more liberal by the day.  Cheshire in the Southeast and Coos in the North scored negative 11, Sullivan negative 14, and Grafton, home of Dartmouth College, negative 16.  It doesn't speak well of John Kerry though that the section of the state where Kerry either did worse than Gore or barely better is the part closest to Massachusetts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 04:11:29 PM »

"Megalopolis", except for its southernmost reaches, trended Republican in 2004. Rockingham and Hillsborough are the northernmost counties in that. Not a surprise really (but no, I didn't actually predict it to happen.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies