Why don’t more students commute to college?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:01:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Why don’t more students commute to college?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why don’t more students commute to college?  (Read 495 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »

They commute to K-12, so why do they dorm in college?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »

It's difficult and could be expensive, let's assume a 30-minute drive each way at 60mph so you're using about a gallon of gas each way on average, at $1.85 right now you're gonna pay $18.5 a week on gas, $74 a month, $888 a year and that's with gas what it is now if we go with $2.60 we get $26 a week, $104 a month, $1248 a year on gas.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »

It's difficult and could be expensive, let's assume a 30-minute drive each way at 60mph so you're using about a gallon of gas each way on average, at $1.85 right now you're gonna pay $18.5 a week on gas, $74 a month, $888 a year and that's with gas what it is now if we go with $2.60 we get $26 a week, $104 a month, $1248 a year on gas.

And Dorming costs over 10k a year
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »

They commute to K-12, so why do they dorm in college?
They don't want to live with their parents so they be promiscuous and binge drink, duh...
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »

Liberal elite cultural Marxist professors are less effective when their students aren't confined to Soviet-style close living quarters.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 08:23:35 PM »

They want to leave their parents and hometowns, obviously. Dorms are a fun time and so is living far from home. It's worth it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 09:07:50 PM »

It's this weird cultural thing of going off to college and finding yourself or whatever. It's a poor financial move, but Americans have this tendency to value the "experience" over making sound financial decisions.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:48 PM »

For about 6 months, I made a ridiculous commute that meant I had to sleep overnight on my college campus in the commuter lounge several nights a week.

I'm pretty glad I didn't commute for the rest of the time, the commuters I met all seemed to be stressed out, getting worse grades, and not really socially engaging with anything at the college - which, personally, for me, was very instrumental. By no fault of their own, but still.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 07:22:25 AM »

They dont want to live under parents roof. Also, most students wait til after college to get an apartment,  since their parents get sick of them when they move back in and cant find a job.

Since, student loans aren't paid back, it's easy to get loans for the dorm life, but it's over now, due to COVID 19. Online schooling.

Just like alot of younger workers will lose their unemployment insurance and due to shelters not taking in homelessness,  due to COVID 19, youngsters are out of luck.  See more younger WC whites on skid row now, than Latinos or AA
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »

It depends where you live I guess. I commuted to college, and actually most students did at the university I went to.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »

It depends where you live I guess. I commuted to college, and actually most students did at the university I went to.

There are some schools that cater to this type of student.  Schools like Cal State - Bakersfield and Towson University pull from relatively small geographic areas, and thus tend to get a lot of commuting students. 
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 11:07:11 PM »

I've noticed a trend of universities requiring underclassmen to live on campus.

I know my college does this for all undergraduate students, and while they will make the occasional exception, I have only met one student who lives off campus and commutes. Generally I think it is, as others have noted, about what the college experience is supposed to be in the eyes of those who have already been through it. I don't personally have a problem with required on campus housing for undergraduate students, and I do think it helps to build a greater sense of community in some cases.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 12:39:32 AM »

Generally I think it is, as others have noted, about what the college experience is supposed to be in the eyes of those who have already been through it.

This. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing--or it wouldn't be, if on-campus housing weren't one of the many expenses colleges soak students' families for all they're worth over.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:33:53 AM »

Most Australian students commute to University from home. I’ve always viewed American dorm culture as rather silly considering the additional pressure which is put on students financial situation and by extension their health and overall wellbeing, simply because they can’t seem to work around sharing a house with their parents and siblings.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 03:31:28 AM »

Most Australian students commute to University from home. I’ve always viewed American dorm culture as rather silly considering the additional pressure which is put on students financial situation and by extension their health and overall wellbeing, simply because they can’t seem to work around sharing a house with their parents and siblings.

Well, it's theoretically a norm that people move out at age 18. Plus a lot of people go to schools hundreds to thousands of miles from home. I get the financial case, but should we really expect most people to live with their parents into their 20's. To me at least, that seems...wrong.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:35 AM »

Because most college towns are in the middle of nowhere.

In countries where the unis are actually in places where people live, the only students that don't commute to college are either bush kids attending city universities or international students.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 07:30:11 AM »

Well, it's theoretically a norm that people move out at age 18. Plus a lot of people go to schools hundreds to thousands of miles from home. I get the financial case, but should we really expect most people to live with their parents into their 20's. To me at least, that seems...wrong.

Well young adults living with their parents was rather normal in the US prior to WW2, with over 30% of adults under 35 between 1880 and the 1940s living with their parents according to PewResearch (it has reached this number in the US again very recently and shows no signs of slowing down after low rates in the late 20th century). In 2011 over 40% of Canadians in their 20s lived with their parents and in Southern and Eastern Europe this phenomenon is even more profound. So it isn’t an unusual thing in most European (And European derivative) cultures and historically wasn’t unusual in the once predominantly WASP United States.

I understand that in some cases such as living in a rural area and so forth it is necessary for individuals leave home and live on campus. However I don’t think it should upheld as this ideal to move out of home as soon as you finish high school due to the ever increasing financial pressure and the social effects of such an environment.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »

It feels weird to be on the "pro-college" side of an argument, but for many young folks already straining against their parents and desiring of a sense of independence, many paths, not even what could in the future be profitable careers, do not afford one moving out immediately after high school graduation. Dorm life allows a sort of artificial arena of quasi-independence and a place in close proximity to your peers, where hanging out does not involve having to check in with five people's middle aged roommates. Given my own social ineptitude at age 17, in retrospect I deem the interim period between 17 and 21 fairly useful for developing a better sense of self and close friends with similar class aspirations. (Disclaimer: I lived in fraternity housing the majority of college after freshman year and never moved back home for summers, so my view of what college socialization is like may differ compared to others' perspectives)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »

Because most college towns are in the middle of nowhere.

In countries where the unis are actually in places where people live, the only students that don't commute to college are either bush kids attending city universities or international students.
I mean, even in cases where the state flagship is in the state's main city (e.g. Minnesota, Washington), a lot of local students either live on or near campus and only go home on weekends if at all. There's a big cultural element as well.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

I am bigly pro-college experience (preferably a more antiquated one), but I find the American expectation of moving out at age 18 to be the worst part of this country. Parents should be expected to be caretakers until roughly "mid-20s" (ObamaCare! Great first step!) and children should be encouraged to live at home until they are married off. One person households are the first step towards financial ruin, and roommate situations generally just reek of inability to meet adult expectations more often than not.

I of course am a hypocrite for living alone for three years after college rather than at home, but I would never place my own children in such an untenable situation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »

I am bigly pro-college experience (preferably a more antiquated one), but I find the American expectation of moving out at age 18 to be the worst part of this country. Parents should be expected to be caretakers until roughly "mid-20s" (ObamaCare! Great first step!) and children should be encouraged to live at home until they are married off. One person households are the first step towards financial ruin, and roommate situations generally just reek of inability to meet adult expectations more often than not.

I of course am a hypocrite for living alone for three years after college rather than at home, but I would never place my own children in such an untenable situation.

The goal is to raise a brace of warrior-philosophers who won't need you after the age of 10.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies