HB 24-09: Protect and Expand Social Security Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-09: Protect and Expand Social Security Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 24-09: Protect and Expand Social Security Act (Passed)  (Read 918 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: May 26, 2020, 11:45:44 PM »

Are we still capping the amount people can earn if we're no longer capping what people can get taxed?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »

I’m not voting for a tax hike that caps benefits for those who pay more in. Social Security is not supposed to be a general tax. The tax paid is supposed to be related to the amount received in retirement.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:25 PM »

I’m not voting for a tax hike that caps benefits for those who pay more in. Social Security is not supposed to be a general tax. The tax paid is supposed to be related to the amount received in retirement.

The point of social security is to pool resources so that everyone can enjoy a basic amount of security in retirement. The inevitable result of that is that some people will pay less in and get more out of it and vice versa. Everyone will pay the same percentage of their income under this plan, and it doesn't really need to be said that 12.4% of your wage is a much bigger sacrifice to make if you are making $25,000 compared to if you are making $300,000, even if that percentage contributes less money into the system.

The point of Social Security is that it's not yet another excuse to soak the so-called rich without giving them commensurate benefits.

I'll probably be the only one, but unless you uncap the amount you can earn, I'm voting no.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies