June 2020 Federalist Party Convention (Adjourned)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:22:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  June 2020 Federalist Party Convention (Adjourned)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: June 2020 Federalist Party Convention (Adjourned)  (Read 8953 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »

The Federalists had a chance to pick a winning ticket and didn't take it up. Sad!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2020, 11:57:00 PM »

I think it is close enough now that we can do the July endorsements. Please make sure to post your declarations in both the candidate declaration and in this convention thread.

I am not going to set an official timetable for a vote yet because some candidacies might need some breathing room post election to get off the ground. 
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »

Pericles: *tries to lecture people on discord about class*

Also Pericles:
The Federalists had a chance to pick a winning ticket and didn't take it up. Sad!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2020, 12:11:12 AM »

Reposting, since it's now time to request endorsements
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »

Never gonna happen
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2020, 12:16:01 AM »

Requesting an endorsement for Governor of Lincoln.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:52 AM »

Requesting Federalist endorsement for Chamber & Governor of the South.

I am testing the waters for another tilt at the Governorship. I have not declared an official run for either office. However it seems obvious to me that the South remains in need of my services.
I am no longer seeking these endorsements.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2020, 07:53:31 AM »

Signing in as a delegate and all.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »

Haven't actually looked at this thread in a while....but Jesus H. Christ, what is going on here? More thoughts coming. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »

OK, I'm going to say my piece here....if I ruffle some feathers with this, so be it. 

So yet again, we have been defeated in a presidential election.  This time, we weren't just beaten, we were SMACKED DOWN.  Let me make a business analogy here.  I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable guy in the world as far as business goes....but every businessman knows that if people don't want to buy what you're selling....well, you're in trouble.  Food for thought. 

Anywho, let's talk about the state of this party. 

Reviewing the past primaries/election cycle, I see more than one instance where someone wished to run for our party's nomination, but were denied that opportunity (seemingly by executive decision).  I quote our Party Bylaws:

III. Endorsements and Primaries
1. Endorsing non-Federalist candidates. If numbers permit the Federalist Party to endorse non-member candidates, candidates seeking the party’s endorsement can submit their names for consideration in the Federalist Party’s main thread or at a party convention. Alternatively, Federalist Party members may move to endorse candidates from other parties. An endorsement vote shall thereafter be held, the logistics of which shall be at the discretion of the party executive. The party shall not be required to endorse any non-Federalist candidates.

Note that the specific rule doesn't say that (after seeking an endorsement) an endorsement vote may be held.  Rather, it says that it "SHALL" be held. 

As this rule is written, we can't limit our primaries to party members.  If someone wishes to run who is not a party member, we need to afford them that opportunity. 

Of course, there are worthy arguments for a closed primary system.  Those arguments notwithstanding, we shouldn't be a party that says one thing, but does another.  We should stick to our word...if we don't do that, then all our words are empty, and mean nothing.

Now for part two of my argument.  As I see things, this party is rapidly slipping into irrelevance.  We can't keep going this way.  How long has it been since we won a presidential race, do you think? How long has it been since we've held a federal majority? I don't know the exact answer to that....but it's been WAY TOO LONG

Thus, uncomfortable though it may be, we need to take a hard look at our policies and practices.  I don't mean that we should change our stances on the issues, per se.  Rather, I mean that we need to look at the internal structure of this party; who we are, and what we stand for. 

Like it or not, the political landscape of Atlasia has evolved over the past few elections.  Here's the thing about evolution; those species that survive and endure are the ones best able to adapt to change.  Species that aren't able to adapt...well, they end up like the dinosaurs....extinct.  That's what we're facing here.     

Today, I ask my fellow Federalists to take a look in the mirror, and ask themselves if they like what they see.  If not, then it's time to make a few changes.  We should not be afraid of these changes; instead, we should embrace them.  Change is tough, but sometimes necessary.  Let's do what is necessary for this party's revitalization....and survival. 
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2020, 10:23:41 AM »

Seeking an endorsement for CoD.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »

I'm requesting an endorsement for reelection as Governor of the South!
FairBol
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2020, 08:06:22 PM »

So I'm aware that Yankee is on reduced activity today, but I'd like to get his thoughts on what I posted.  No rush, though, Yankee....if you can't get to it tonight, get to it tomorrow.  Take care of yourself...RL always comes first. 
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »

As this rule is written, we can't limit our primaries to party members.  If someone wishes to run who is not a party member, we need to afford them that opportunity.

Of course, there are worthy arguments for a closed primary system.  Those arguments notwithstanding, we shouldn't be a party that says one thing, but does another.  We should stick to our word...if we don't do that, then all our words are empty, and mean nothing.

I appreciate the effort that went into this post, but I really don't understand where you're getting the idea that we don't allow people who aren't party members to run. We endorse non-party members all the time. For Christ's sake, even our presidential candidate this cycle wasn't a member of the party. If a person requests endorsement and is *voted down democratically by members of the party*, of course we have no business endorsing said person.

Reviewing the past primaries/election cycle, I see more than one instance where someone wished to run for our party's nomination, but were denied that opportunity (seemingly by executive decision).

Examples?

Now for part two of my argument.  As I see things, this party is rapidly slipping into irrelevance.  We can't keep going this way.  How long has it been since we won a presidential race, do you think? How long has it been since we've held a federal majority? I don't know the exact answer to that....but it's been WAY TOO LONG.

It's easy to make the observation that 'we can't keep going this way,' and it's also easy to blame the party for 'not doing enough.' But the fact of the matter is that Labor has a voter registration edge of 43 votes, which is actually closer to 60 votes when you factor in Peace and the LJP. Perhaps you can tell us where we're supposed to find 43 votes (or more accurately, a net 43 votes, because Labor will surely be doing their own recruiting as well)?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2020, 09:51:17 PM »

So I'm aware that Yankee is on reduced activity today, but I'd like to get his thoughts on what I posted.  No rush, though, Yankee....if you can't get to it tonight, get to it tomorrow.  Take care of yourself...RL always comes first. 

I am not sure what you are talking about. We don't have closed primaries, I literally put Pericles on the ballot for endorsement, and he was defeated. It is hard to have a more open of a process than having the other guys ticket on your ballot.

The only people who were not considered, were candidates for JULY offices, because we have a provision that prohibits consideration of nominees more than a month prior to the election itself. We are just starting the process for nominations for those offices now, but I want to give time for people to process the results and make declarations accordingly to the various July offices up.

FairBol
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »

Crap....for some reason, I read S019's post as being June, rather than July.  On that point, I stand corrected...mea culpa
FairBol
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »

It's easy to make the observation that 'we can't keep going this way,' and it's also easy to blame the party for 'not doing enough.' But the fact of the matter is that Labor has a voter registration edge of 43 votes, which is actually closer to 60 votes when you factor in Peace and the LJP. Perhaps you can tell us where we're supposed to find 43 votes (or more accurately, a net 43 votes, because Labor will surely be doing their own recruiting as well)?

I understand that Labor has a large edge in initial numbers.  Those numbers are, in any election, going to be hard to overcome.  Nevertheless, we can't just roll over and play dead.  Whether or not you think we're doing enough, if we truly believe in the principles of liberty and small government, we should be willing to fight for them.  Otherwise, what's the point?
FairBol
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »

Just asking here, but did we ever hold an election for Party Leader last month? Bylaws say June for one of those....I know, I know, the month isn't over yet. 
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2020, 06:19:56 PM »

I understand that Labor has a large edge in initial numbers.  Those numbers are, in any election, going to be hard to overcome.  Nevertheless, we can't just roll over and play dead.  Whether or not you think we're doing enough, if we truly believe in the principles of liberty and small government, we should be willing to fight for them.  Otherwise, what's the point?

It's hard to fight when you are outnumbered + are a big tent.

Just asking here, but did we ever hold an election for Party Leader last month? Bylaws say June for one of those....I know, I know, the month isn't over yet.  

Yankee is going to be our leader until he dies. He's the only one keeping us from dying. Without him, you will see the moderates/center-right wingers move to labor and the rest of us create some neo-confederate ACP for shts and giggles

Honestly, we might as well have it in the by laws "Yankee is the leader until he dies. He cannot resign. He must pass away".
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2020, 06:31:08 PM »

I mean, irl when a party loses several landslides in a row, the party leader is the one blamed and the one who takes the fall Tongue

(Tbh I would also personally wonder whether having a big tent party is worth it electorally, surely 5-3-1 or 5-2-2 are preferrable electoral outcomes to 6-3)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2020, 02:02:37 AM »

I mean, irl when a party loses several landslides in a row, the party leader is the one blamed and the one who takes the fall Tongue

If Fed turnout was 40% or 30%, I might feel a little inclined to blame myself. Instead Fed turnout was mid to high 60%, which is I would point just a couple points below labor (71% was it?). We have a working recruitment operation and we successfully had slates up and nominated and such forth. Perhaps this is hard to believe, but conservative love to say no a lot more than the left and furthermore it takes great efforts to keep several conservatives from leaving because of how hopeless the numbers are. And these aren't fringe people, these are long standing respected members of this site who feel the urge to leave.

Am I suppose to take the fall for 100 lefties joining this site and finding their way into the game because Trump is an a@%hole?

You are not winning because you have a better organization, you do objectively speaking but not enough to explain anywhere near this level of victory. You are winning because you don't have to fight gravity like we do. You are winning because of the disengagement and arms length nature of participation allowing for the decline in value of speeches/debates and activity/competence in favor of party line votes and discord/PMing. Finally, you are winning because the rl right is largely unified behind Trump, Trump is deeply unpopular and despised throughout the land among the dominant demographics on the site, college educated white males from secular backgrounds. Thus you have endless supply of potential recruits with a far higher percentages of positive responses then those on the right.

So please spare us these self righteous quips, they only come across as condescending and arrogant. Anyone who can do math, read a map and understand trends (Which is a hell of a lot of people on this site) can see the above plainly.

We are going to do what we must and make the best of a horrendous situation until the demographics improve. If the left is ansy about the situation then do something on your side to improve it, but I can tell you, we are not going to be the left's yo-yo and we aren't going to take the hit because you guys get bored.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

If the left is ansy about the situation then do something on your side to improve it, but I can tell you, we are not going to be the left's yo-yo and we aren't going to take the hit because you guys get bored.

It sure seems like we've been "the left's yo-yo" as of late.  Just saying. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2020, 08:02:08 PM »

Yankee is going to be our leader until he dies. He's the only one keeping us from dying. Without him, you will see the moderates/center-right wingers move to labor and the rest of us create some neo-confederate ACP for shts and giggles

I believe that we should have the leadership election anyway.  Re-elect Yankee by acclamation/unopposed if you want...but again, we should adhere to our own bylaws.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »

I believe that we should have the leadership election anyway.  Re-elect Yankee by acclamation/unopposed if you want...but again, we should adhere to our own bylaws.

No one said we aren't holding a leadership election. I plan to hold it congruent with the primary for the July elections.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »

OK, that's cool. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies