WA (PPP) - Biden +22 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:36:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  WA (PPP) - Biden +22 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA (PPP) - Biden +22  (Read 2764 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

WA still or used to have residual Asian-American voters that tend to vote republican. Those voters have largely abandoned the Republican party, I suspect further erosion with growing anti-Asian racism fueled by Trump's rhetoric. A similar pattern could be seen in Orange County, CA Vietnamese precincts as Vietnamese-American voters swing further to the Democrats.

Who were these voters, and where in the state did they live? I suspect most of the shift with Vietnamese-American voters is due to generational replacement as native-borns and 1.5gens come of age.

Yeah, the GOP really messed up with Asian-American voters. They went from being rather reliably Republican before the 2000s to reliably Democratic in recent times. Trump has just made things even worse.
Sadly, I don't see the Republican party winning back Asian-American voters anytime soon. However, I've got the sense that Asians in WA are Democratic than Asians in California.

Interesting, why do you think Asian voters in CA are more Republican?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 11:16:44 AM by khuzifenq »

Yeah, the GOP really messed up with Asian-American voters. They went from being rather reliably Republican before the 2000s to reliably Democratic in recent times. Trump has just made things even worse.
Sadly, I don't see the Republican party winning back Asian-American voters anytime soon. However, I've got the sense that Asians in WA are Democratic than Asians in California.

LA Asian American community is more religious than the Seattle Asian American community. Although San Francisco Asian community aren't that religious from what I've witnessed. One of my Chinese-American friends once described Asians in the bay area are a lot like Bruce Lee, they were non-religious way before it was a trend among white Americans. Bay area also has a significant Filipino community that can be quite socially conservative.
I might be wrong but it's what I've read, witnessed, and experienced.

I agree that LA area Asians are probably more religious than Bay Area Asians on average, although that doesn't necessarily make them more Republican. Many religious AAPIs aren't Christian, and Asian Christians are generally more Democrat-friendly than their white counterparts.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 11:51:00 PM by khuzifenq »

LA Asian American community is more religious than the Seattle Asian American community. Although San Francisco Asian community aren't that religious from what I've witnessed. One of my Chinese-American friends once described Asians in the bay area are a lot like Bruce Lee, they were non-religious way before it was a trend among white Americans. Bay area also has a significant Filipino community that can be quite socially conservative.

I agree that LA area Asians are probably more religious than Bay Area Asians on average, although that doesn't necessarily make them more Republican. Many religious AAPIs aren't Christian, and Asian Christians are generally more Democrat-friendly than their white counterparts.
Insofar as to specific groups, would you say Koreans are the most GOP of all Asian groups in CA, with Japanese and Chinese in the middle and Indians and Pakistanis being near the bottom?

Korean Americans aren't particularly GOP, they're just very Protestant and relatively outspoken about  their faith. From my experience younger Viets under 30 are fairly liberal/anti-Trump or apolitical, it's mostly their parents who are die-hard GOP supporters.

Based on 2016 exit polls, the 2018 AA Voter Survey, and the 2019 survey on Dem primary preferences among CA Asians, I'd say:

(most GOP) Vietnamese > Filipino > Chinese (incl. Taiwanese) >>> Korean, Japanese, Hmong, Other SE Asian >>> Indian >>> Pakistani, Bangladeshi (most Dem)

This is my breakdown for the nationwide AAPI electorate, but I don't see why it'd be different for Cali AAPIs. I don't think the difference between Chinese Americans and Indian Americans is that significant, or that Chinese Americans are more supportive of Trump. It seems like Chinese Americans are simply more apolitical than Indian Americans, and therefore have a lower baseline level of Dem support.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »

I don't disagree with what you've said. The swing from R to D started in the 90s. Economically and culturally speaking Asian-Americans should be typical Republican voters. I think if the Republicans continue to embrace Trumpism it will be virtually impossible to win them back anytime soon.
We can see clearly in Canada and England the Asian community is more willing to vote for conservative parties, in New Zealand the Asian community overwhelmingly vote National.

I would also like to add the Chinese-American community tend to have different outlooks. Most Chinese-American immigrants tended to be Cantonese from south china and Hong Kong, they are mostly assimilated. Taiwanese-Americans used to be the most republican friendly and most hostile towards CPC.
I read most of the Chinese community in NYC metro area hail from Fujian province, they have their own distinct language, Fujianese. I have no idea how they vote, they probably don't vote in large number and if they do, it's probably democratic.

1) Asian Americans have above-average rates of educational attainment and household income, but these statistics hide growing income inequality and class disparities within the overall Asian American community. It just so happens that AAPI voters are more concentrated in states with higher costs of living and bigger gaps between the rich and poor. 

2) I don't know if there's enough data on the political views of various Chinese American subgroups to gauge any significant differences in voting patterns. From my experience, Taiwanese Americans are seen as being more socially liberal than other Chinese American subgroups and other AAPI Americans.

Not sure how Pacific Islanders vote but I'm pretty sure they lean Dem and doubt they're electorally significant outside of California and Hawaii.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies