WA (PPP) - Biden +22
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  WA (PPP) - Biden +22
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WA (PPP) - Biden +22  (Read 2747 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
« edited: May 30, 2020, 11:16:44 AM by khuzifenq »

Yeah, the GOP really messed up with Asian-American voters. They went from being rather reliably Republican before the 2000s to reliably Democratic in recent times. Trump has just made things even worse.
Sadly, I don't see the Republican party winning back Asian-American voters anytime soon. However, I've got the sense that Asians in WA are Democratic than Asians in California.

Interesting, why do you think Asian voters in CA are more Republican?

LA Asian American community is more religious than the Seattle Asian American community. Although San Francisco Asian community aren't that religious from what I've witnessed. One of my Chinese-American friends once described Asians in the bay area are a lot like Bruce Lee, they were non-religious way before it was a trend among white Americans. Bay area also has a significant Filipino community that can be quite socially conservative.
I might be wrong but it's what I've read, witnessed, and experienced.

I agree that LA area Asians are probably more religious than Bay Area Asians on average, although that doesn't necessarily make them more Republican. Many religious AAPIs aren't Christian, and Asian Christians are generally more Democrat-friendly than their white counterparts.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »

Yeah, the GOP really messed up with Asian-American voters. They went from being rather reliably Republican before the 2000s to reliably Democratic in recent times. Trump has just made things even worse.
Sadly, I don't see the Republican party winning back Asian-American voters anytime soon. However, I've got the sense that Asians in WA are Democratic than Asians in California.

LA Asian American community is more religious than the Seattle Asian American community. Although San Francisco Asian community aren't that religious from what I've witnessed. One of my Chinese-American friends once described Asians in the bay area are a lot like Bruce Lee, they were non-religious way before it was a trend among white Americans. Bay area also has a significant Filipino community that can be quite socially conservative.
[/quote]

I agree that LA area Asians are probably more religious than Bay Area Asians on average, although that doesn't necessarily make them more Republican. Many religious AAPIs aren't Christian, and Asian Christians are generally more Democrat-friendly than their white counterparts.
[/quote]
Insofar as to specific groups, would you say Koreans are the most GOP of all Asian groups in CA, with Japanese and Chinese in the middle and Indians and Pakistanis being near the bottom?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 11:51:00 PM by khuzifenq »

Insofar as to specific groups, would you say Koreans are the most GOP of all Asian groups in CA, with Japanese and Chinese in the middle and Indians and Pakistanis being near the bottom?

Korean Americans aren't particularly GOP, they're just very Protestant and relatively outspoken about  their faith. From my experience younger Viets under 30 are fairly liberal/anti-Trump or apolitical, it's mostly their parents who are die-hard GOP supporters.

Based on 2016 exit polls, the 2018 AA Voter Survey, and the 2019 survey on Dem primary preferences among CA Asians, I'd say:

(most GOP) Vietnamese > Filipino > Chinese (incl. Taiwanese) >>> Korean, Japanese, Hmong, Other SE Asian >>> Indian >>> Pakistani, Bangladeshi (most Dem)

This is my breakdown for the nationwide AAPI electorate, but I don't see why it'd be different for Cali AAPIs. I don't think the difference between Chinese Americans and Indian Americans is that significant, or that Chinese Americans are more supportive of Trump. It seems like Chinese Americans are simply more apolitical than Indian Americans, and therefore have a lower baseline level of Dem support.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 10:57:43 PM »

I don't disagree with what you've said. The swing from R to D started in the 90s. Economically and culturally speaking Asian-Americans should be typical Republican voters. I think if the Republicans continue to embrace Trumpism it will be virtually impossible to win them back anytime soon.
We can see clearly in Canada and England the Asian community is more willing to vote for conservative parties, in New Zealand the Asian community overwhelmingly vote National.

I would also like to add the Chinese-American community tend to have different outlooks. Most Chinese-American immigrants tended to be Cantonese from south china and Hong Kong, they are mostly assimilated. Taiwanese-Americans used to be the most republican friendly and most hostile towards CPC.
I read most of the Chinese community in NYC metro area hail from Fujian province, they have their own distinct language, Fujianese. I have no idea how they vote, they probably don't vote in large number and if they do, it's probably democratic.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 12:58:42 PM »

These polls showing Biden winning by historical numbers in traditionally blue states are very interesting.

And not surprising to me. Democrats haven't hated any Republican candidate this much in a long, long time if ever. In 2016 a lot of them stayed home or protest voted, thinking either he couldn't win or that it wouldn't be so bad if he did. Not so this time.

I'm only 22 so I don't really remember politics from the Bush era, but did Democrats even hate Bush this much?

I would argue yes, at the time, even if they say they hate Trump more now. Trump defies more political conventions than Bush does which makes the vitriol for him feel different and new, but I think Bush's approvals at the end of his 2nd term pretty much speak for themselves. Your typical Democrat (not a fire-breathing 2000s equivalent of an SJW, just your average Democrat) held as absolute fact that Bush and Cheney had deliberately lied about WMDs in Iraq in order to kill thousands of people for personal glory and to be seen as a "conquering hero." The economy crashing in 2008 was just the cherry on top.

The big difference between 2008 and 2020 I see in regards to polls like this is that in 2008, there was a pretty sizeable contingent of Republicans who were just fed up with Bush and voted for Obama despite not really seeing much in his message beyond wanting some hope for the country. First-time young and minority voters obviously played a huge part as well, but it was definitely the confluence of these forces that gave Obama his huge win. In 2020, the fight seems to be much more one of turnout and enthusiasm with each side sticking to their base. I really doubt we'll have Rex Tillerson endorsing Biden a la Colin Powell or anything like that.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »

I don't disagree with what you've said. The swing from R to D started in the 90s. Economically and culturally speaking Asian-Americans should be typical Republican voters. I think if the Republicans continue to embrace Trumpism it will be virtually impossible to win them back anytime soon.
We can see clearly in Canada and England the Asian community is more willing to vote for conservative parties, in New Zealand the Asian community overwhelmingly vote National.

I would also like to add the Chinese-American community tend to have different outlooks. Most Chinese-American immigrants tended to be Cantonese from south china and Hong Kong, they are mostly assimilated. Taiwanese-Americans used to be the most republican friendly and most hostile towards CPC.
I read most of the Chinese community in NYC metro area hail from Fujian province, they have their own distinct language, Fujianese. I have no idea how they vote, they probably don't vote in large number and if they do, it's probably democratic.

1) Asian Americans have above-average rates of educational attainment and household income, but these statistics hide growing income inequality and class disparities within the overall Asian American community. It just so happens that AAPI voters are more concentrated in states with higher costs of living and bigger gaps between the rich and poor. 

2) I don't know if there's enough data on the political views of various Chinese American subgroups to gauge any significant differences in voting patterns. From my experience, Taiwanese Americans are seen as being more socially liberal than other Chinese American subgroups and other AAPI Americans.

Not sure how Pacific Islanders vote but I'm pretty sure they lean Dem and doubt they're electorally significant outside of California and Hawaii.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 04:06:50 PM »

New Poll: Washington President by Public Policy Polling on 2020-05-20

Summary: D: 59%, R: 37%, U: 5%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »