Do you believe that the Second Amendment is arcane? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:59:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do you believe that the Second Amendment is arcane? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that the Second Amendment is arcane?
Yes

No

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Do you believe that the Second Amendment is arcane?  (Read 7747 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: June 27, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »

it's nice to see that even on this lean left political message board with many non-American posters that a small person's right to defend themselves against big people is still respected.
Lol dude if the government really wants you dead, owning an AR-15 ain’t gonna save you.
I didn't mention the govt, so strawman fail
The 2nd Amendment was written back when the only guns were muskets and pistols. Why tf should it apply to ALL guns? Did the founders even think of the possibility of fully automatic guns being created?
The 1st Amendment was written back when the only communication were slow mail and the printing press. Why tf should it apply to ALL forms of communication? Did the founders even think of the possibility of the internet being created?
Lol imagine thinking that this is a good comparison. Letting people communicate faster is totally comparable to letting people kill people faster. Also haven’t there been laws passed that address free speech rights online?

I was really hoping that this pandemic would at the very least kill off crazy American libertarianism, but  it looks like there’s still some holdouts

Legally its a perfect comparison. You dont get to arbitrarily declare some parts of the Bill of Rights less deserving of protection than others just because you personally don't like the right.

BTW I've purchased 12 guns in the last 3 months, none with federal paperwork. Suck it.
So when do you expect the world to randomly turn into 1984? The government is never gonna try to take away your rights.

Lol. 1984 started last month dude. Try to keep up.

Yes, yes, the Hutus in black helicopters are coming for you right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »

If this was 1984, the very existence of certain people and events would be denied and being erased from the memory. What's going on now is simply acknowledging that some people and some causes (like the so-called "Lost Cause" of the Confederacy) simply are not deserving celebration. If you're still claiming the Confederacy stood for something noble or that Ben Tillman's statue should remain, you're not defending the "history", you're being historically illiterate. And if the argument is "statues should remain, it's wrong to remove them", then I suppose we should still have Felix Dzerzhinsky's statue in Warsaw.

For the record, I'm not always in favor of removing certain statues or completely condemning certain figures without looking at the good things they done along with bad things, but in most cases the trend is correct.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies