Portland, OR mayoral runoff: Who wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Portland, OR mayoral runoff: Who wins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Ted Wheeler (D)

Sarah Iannarone (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Portland, OR mayoral runoff: Who wins?  (Read 840 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »

Incumbent Ted Wheeler got 49% in the primary. I would guess Wheeler wins.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »

If someone gets close to fifty percent of the vote in a crowded primary, then they have an overwhelmingly good chance of winning the general election. It’s safe to say that Ted Wheeler will win.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 02:12:32 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2020, 02:16:58 AM by MB »

There's a huge movement among the activist crowd in Portland to write in Teressa Raiford who came in 3rd place I think and didn't advance to the runoff. I don't get it at all because there's practically no difference between her and Iannarone and the idiots behind it are gonna get Ted Wheeler reelected... for what exactly? Virtue signalling about their candidate that lost?

And it's got Damian Lillard's backing too. How f**king stupid do you have to get?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:24:55 AM »

There's a huge movement among the activist crowd in Portland to write in Teressa Raiford who came in 3rd place I think and didn't advance to the runoff. I don't get it at all because there's practically no difference between her and Iannarone and the idiots behind it are gonna get Ted Wheeler reelected... for what exactly? Virtue signalling about their candidate that lost?

And it's got Damian Lillard's backing too. How f**king stupid do you have to get?

Wait when did Lillard endorse anyone in the Mayoral race
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:28:00 AM »

The write-in organizers at least claim he did.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 02:39:41 AM »

It’s probably fake as if he did it would be big on local news sites
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 02:53:42 AM »

Wheeler, probably
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »

You mean game 5 hero Damien Lillard
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »

You mean game 5 hero Damien Lillard

Game 5 AND Game 6 hero
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 05:56:53 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2020, 06:17:04 AM by MB »

So. Bit of an update.

Over the past month or so I've been seeing more and more "write in Raiford". Lots of people - including ones who are all "vote Biden cause he's the lesser evil" - claiming Iannarone is no different than "Tear Gas Ted" and will uphold the status quo as much as Wheeler. So just to get a bit of an idea:

And this is all despite Iannarone being just as progressive as Raiford. Her platform calls for a pretty good overhaul of the police department and police practices. But apparently that's not good enough.

Iannarone sent Raiford a letter and uh I think I'll just post the response right here (keep in mind this wasn't posted by Raiford herself but by her campaign, click to enlarge):

Keep in mind Raiford got a grand total of 8% in the primary. It's a respectable third place, sure, but nowhere even close to building a winning coalition. She's not even actively campaigning. But she's egging on her delusional backers just enough to give them a false sense of hope.

And that 8% she got? Well it put her ahead of a couple candidates who seemed to be running serious campaigns - Ozzie González and Bruce Broussard who I both saw signs for. Not bad. But apparently it was cause she is black and the white supremacist city of Portland would never dare to elect a black woman to its highest office?

Now of course Portland has a racist history. And it still does have some racist aspects. But right now there's a progressive black woman, Jo Ann Hardesty, sitting on the at-large city council seat. And guess who she beat in the runoff? Another black woman (Loretta Smith, who herself was a county commissioner!) Smith herself just narrowly lost a race for another city council seat. So I don't quite buy the argument that Portland's against electing black women. Quite the opposite actually.

Now listen. I really do respect the work Raiford has done has an activist and I don't doubt she'd be a decent mayor. But she and her supporters need to suck up, move on, and vote for Iannarone. Otherwise any hope of change at maybe the most crucial time in decades is dead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies