HB 24-08: Requiring Child Safety Alert Systems Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-08: Requiring Child Safety Alert Systems Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 24-08: Requiring Child Safety Alert Systems Act (Passed)  (Read 606 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2020, 08:09:26 AM by Speaker Thumb21 »

An Act

To require all new passenger motor vehicles to be equipped with a child safety alert system.

Section 1. Short title

This Act shall be cited as the “Requiring Child Safety Alert Systems Act".

Section 2. Definitions

As used in Act, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context—
(1) the term “passenger motor vehicle” shall have the meaning given in 49 USC § 32101(10); and
(2) the term "rear designated seating position" means the designated seating positions for any passengers that are rearward of the front seat.

Section 3. Requirement

(a) In general. —

All new passenger motor vehicles shall be equipped with a system to alert the operator to check rear designated seating positions after the vehicle is deactivated by the driver.

(b) Child safety alert system. —

The alert required under subsection (a)—
(1) shall include a distinct auditory and visual alert, which may be combined with a haptic alert; and
(2) shall be activated when the vehicle motor is deactivated by the driver.

Section 4. Effective date

This Act shall take effect immediately on the date of the enactment of this Act.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 6-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Sponsor: ReaganClinton20XX
House Designation: HR 24-08

72 hours to debate.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »

This seems like a good idea, it is important that cars have good safety alert systems.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »

This seems like a good idea, it is important that cars have good safety alert systems.

It's only good if it can be turned off by those of us who have no need for it.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »

I think the safety of children comes before the inconvenience of it being set off accidentally a couple of times, but ultimately its up to manufacturers to make and use good quality alert systems.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »

I think the safety of children comes before the inconvenience of it being set off accidentally a couple of times, but ultimately its up to manufacturers to make and use good quality alert systems.

Not everyone has very young children. They don't need a reminder that their teens or adults are in the car. Why should we be creating a system that can't be overridden by someone who doesn't need it at all/
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 04:47:26 PM »

Not everyone has very young children. They don't need a reminder that their teens or adults are in the car. Why should we be creating a system that can't be overridden by someone who doesn't need it at all/

If you have an issue with them, thats for the people making these systems and for the car manufacturers. All this bill does is mandates that one should be installed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:47:20 PM »

If you have an issue with them, thats for the people making these systems and for the car manufacturers. All this bill does is mandates that one should be installed.

No. It mandates that the warning system goes off every time I turn off my car. If I don't have very young kids, I don't need an alarm telling me to check the back seat.

I'll have an amendment tomorrow to fix that.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 07:27:03 AM »

No. It mandates that the warning system goes off every time I turn off my car. If I don't have very young kids, I don't need an alarm telling me to check the back seat.

These systems work with sensors that detect if a child is in the back seat. It doesn't trigger an alarm every time the car is turned off. The sensor could be wrong a few times but its a small inconvenience.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:16 AM »

These systems work with sensors that detect if a child is in the back seat. It doesn't trigger an alarm every time the car is turned off. The sensor could be wrong a few times but its a small inconvenience.

Not quite; Section 3 (a) only specifies that the system '[alerts] the operator to check rear designated seating positions after the vehicle is deactivated by the driver,' and Section 3 (b) only specifies that the system should be activated when the vehicle is deactivated. No mention is made of children at all. Might be worth adding a requirement that the alarm sounds if the rear seatbelts are engaged or something of that nature.

Also, perhaps we might want to allow manufacturers a bit of time to implement these systems on new vehicles rather than require them immediately?

Introducing the following amendment (will withdraw if cinyc has a different idea for engaging the alarm):

An Act

To require all new passenger motor vehicles to be equipped with a child safety alert system.

Section 1. Short title

Section 2. Definitions

(1) the term “passenger motor vehicle” shall have the meaning given in 49 USC § 32101(10); and
(2) the term "rear designated seating position" means the designated seating positions for any passengers that are rearward of the front seat.

Section 3. Requirement

(a) In general. —

All new passenger motor vehicles shall be equipped with a system to alert the operator to check rear designated seating positions after the vehicle is deactivated by the driver.

(1) shall include a distinct auditory and visual alert, which may be combined with a haptic alert;
(2) shall be activated when —

(i) the vehicle motor is deactivated by the driver; and
        (ii) one or more seat belts corresponding to rear designated seating positions are engaged.

This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2021.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 08:08:59 AM »

My understanding of the text was that to "activate" the system would simply mean the sensor is activated and then if it thinks a child is there, then it alerts the driver.

Regardless, I don't have a problem with this amendment.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:29 AM »

Does this bill propose that if a parent leaves the car to go into the store to get some groceries, if the kids leave their seat belts, then alarms go off?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »

Does this bill propose that if a parent leaves the car to go into the store to get some groceries, if the kids leave their seat belts, then alarms go off?

The different alert systems differ from eachother but its to stop parents from forgetting about their child and leaving them in the back seat in a hot car. The systems give some sort of alert to the parent to remind them to take their child.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:18:44 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 01:39:11 PM by Representative Encke »

You know what, never mind. The seat belt part is stupid because there are more sophisticated ways of detecting if someone is in the back seat of a car (that can distinguish, say, between a breathing person and, say, a pile of boxes or groceries - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihUIaEwNYpM). Changing the amendment to the following, just to clarify that the alert shouldn't trigger unless someone is in the back seat, and to allow someone to turn off the sensor completely if it isn't needed.

Edit: Technically using the word 'person' here excludes pets, but any system that can determine if a child is in the back seat can obviously determine if a pet is in the back seat as well.

An Act

Section 1. Short title

Section 2. Definitions

Section 3. Requirement

(a) In general. —

(1) shall include a distinct auditory and visual alert, which may be combined with a haptic alert;
(2) shall be activated when —

(i) the vehicle motor is deactivated by the driver; and
        (ii)a person is occupying a rear designated seating position.

(3) can be manually disabled by the vehicle's driver.

This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2021.

RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »

I approve of Encke’s amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »

I approve of the amendment, too.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »

The amendment to this bill is good.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 06:49:43 PM »

Solid amendment, this seems pretty good!
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »

Amendments adopted

Motion for a final vote
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus