Harrison and McGrath lead April's ActBlue donations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:26:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Harrison and McGrath lead April's ActBlue donations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Harrison and McGrath lead April's ActBlue donations  (Read 2053 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »

Exactly. This money should be going to NC, IA, ME, CO, AZ, etc.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »

I appear to be swimming against the tide but I'm not too worried about this. Money doesn't yet appear to be a problem for the democrats even in a covid cycle.

These races always draw in money- McGrath because of her 2018 run, backstory & the toxicity of Moscow Mitch and Jamie Harrison because of Lindsay Graham & because Harrison is a talented politician. They're both running good digital & media campaigns.

Besides I'm not sure it's fair or reasonable to expect small dollar donors to donate based on electoral odds- people generally want to give money to a candiaite who inspires them or who offers a chance to kick someone they hate.

It's the job of political campaigns to generate more money & more attention and it's the job of the DSCC to pump money into these races.

Sure I'd love most of these people to donate to at-risk house candidates or even statehouse people... but it's not going to happen. Ordinary people (yes even those who donate money to campaigns) don't have the same thought process as us.

Oh nice. I love seeing Democrats give 15x more money to Kentucky than to Georgia

Again surely the answer is to get better candidates? In Georgia we currently have a former congressional staffer, a random vicar & Senator Palpatine's son as the frontrunners...

IMO the DSCC shouldn't be touching these races. I guess I can see the logic (and it's worth remembering that people were thinking the same about Beto before results came in), but it's still annoying. I guess the best answer is "find more appealing candidates", though.

Yeah sorry I was being unclear- I meant it's the job of thr DSCC to pump money into Georgia, Maine, North Carolina etc (which it already has- the ad buy in North Carolina is irrc something like £30 million)

Raphael Warnock is the pastor at MLK's former church and a big figure in Atlanta. I wouldn't say random vicar, but I agree about Lieberman.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

I appear to be swimming against the tide but I'm not too worried about this. Money doesn't yet appear to be a problem for the democrats even in a covid cycle.

These races always draw in money- McGrath because of her 2018 run, backstory & the toxicity of Moscow Mitch and Jamie Harrison because of Lindsay Graham & because Harrison is a talented politician. They're both running good digital & media campaigns.

Besides I'm not sure it's fair or reasonable to expect small dollar donors to donate based on electoral odds- people generally want to give money to a candiaite who inspires them or who offers a chance to kick someone they hate.

It's the job of political campaigns to generate more money & more attention and it's the job of the DSCC to pump money into these races.

Sure I'd love most of these people to donate to at-risk house candidates or even statehouse people... but it's not going to happen. Ordinary people (yes even those who donate money to campaigns) don't have the same thought process as us.

Oh nice. I love seeing Democrats give 15x more money to Kentucky than to Georgia

Again surely the answer is to get better candidates? In Georgia we currently have a former congressional staffer, a random vicar & Senator Palpatine's son as the frontrunners...

IMO the DSCC shouldn't be touching these races. I guess I can see the logic (and it's worth remembering that people were thinking the same about Beto before results came in), but it's still annoying. I guess the best answer is "find more appealing candidates", though.

Yeah sorry I was being unclear- I meant it's the job of thr DSCC to pump money into Georgia, Maine, North Carolina etc (which it already has- the ad buy in North Carolina is irrc something like £30 million)

Raphael Warnock is the pastor at MLK's former church and a big figure in Atlanta. I wouldn't say random vicar, but I agree about Lieberman.

I mean this actually points to the problem- I knew that Amy McGrath is a fighter pilot but I had no idea Warnock was the pastor at MLK's church. Yes it's my own ignorance but it mirrors the reason people are donating to her
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2020, 02:14:31 PM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

Like you have the deciding vote for Kavanaugh up for re-election and you're giving money to hopeless campaigns. One of which is run by a terrible candidate who's buoyed by #Resistance NPCs because Schumer decided to pick winners and losers before the campaign process played out.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »

I mean this actually points to the problem- I knew that Amy McGrath is a fighter pilot but I had no idea Warnock was the pastor at MLK's church. Yes it's my own ignorance but it mirrors the reason people are donating to her

Very true
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 02:06:40 PM »

McGrifter strikes again smh
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »

That money should be going to Arizona, North Carolina, Maine, Iowa, Georgia & Montana.

Too many Democrats falling for the fool's gold of Kentucky & South Carolina. Mitch & Lindsey are unfortunately not going anywhere.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 03:05:34 PM »

I'd guess dollar for dollar Montana is probably the best place to donate atm? Maine's a cheap media market too but Gideon is sitting on stacks on stacks.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 03:09:36 PM »

I'd rather Democrats donate here than try to save Doug Jones, in Alabama.

McConnell is unpopular enough that McGrath if she does win the nomination has a decent shot at beating him, while Jones is going to lose by 15+ no matter how much he spends.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »

Ds already have stopped donating to these sort of races. AZ, CO, GA, IA, KS, ME, MT and NC are much more valuable in conjunction with Kathleen William's, JD Scholden, and Jarad Golden, running for House seats
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »

McGrath needs to drop out. NOW. We've lit enough money on fire as it is

I'm now hoping McConnell faces an opponent likely to do worse than McGrath if only because the nomination of anyone else will allow the scales to fall from the eyes of her donors (albeit for the wrong reasons).
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 08:53:32 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

I'd guess dollar for dollar Montana is probably the best place to donate atm? Maine's a cheap media market too but Gideon is sitting on stacks on stacks.

IA is also decently funded for a likely R state, but neither Gideon nor any of Ernst's Democratic challengers have McGrath/Harrison $, and it's not as if KY is an especially huge state.

MT's probably the best value for money right now, followed by GA - despite its size, Democrats are terribly underfunded relative to the party's average fundraising advantage in a competitive Senate race, and it's not been especially prioritised as a target of DSCC $ recently.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »

IA is also decently funded for a likely R state, but neither Gideon nor any of Ernst's Democratic challengers have McGrath/Harrison $, and it's not as if KY is an especially huge state.

MT's probably the best value for money right now, followed by GA - despite its size, Democrats are terribly underfunded relative to the party's average fundraising advantage in a competitive Senate race, and it's not been especially prioritised as a target of DSCC $ recently.

Dems in IA, ME and MT has Kathleen William's, Jared Golden and JD Scholten that are spending $$$on ads that will be beneficial to our low spending Dem Senate candidates.  Ernst ist some unbeatable titan, she will lose, she has a 37/43 approval rating 😍😍😍 to Greenfield who is down only 43 to 42
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »

Harrison, Jones and McGrath dont have aggressive House races in their respective states that are beneficial to Dems.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2020, 03:19:49 PM »

I so wish Rocky Adkins ran for that seat. He'd have a place in my endorsement wall.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »

both are over hyped.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:07 PM »

mitch mcconnell's seat is closer than appears, tilt tossup, closer to lean tossup than tossup tossup
like it was in 2014?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »

Harrison could win
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »

Since Marshall may very win the R nomination for Senate, slot of voters are taking their money and giving it McGrath instead of Bollier
Flyersfan232

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »

Why are they wasting money on these two?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2020, 12:02:15 AM by Alben Barkley »

It’ll be a lot of fun seeing Daines, Perdue, and Tillis very narrowly win and Republicans hold the Senate so that McGrath can lose by 18 (instead of 21) and Harrison by 12 (instead of 15.)

In 2016, Rand Paul won by 14 and in 2014, McConnell won by 15. I highly doubt McGrath will lose by more than that. Probably about the same as those races, maybe slightly better.

Actually, almost certainly slightly better because I expect the entire nation to be a more D favorable climate, Kentucky included. I don’t think Trump will win by quite as much as 2016, and McGrath will still outperform Biden. Won’t win, but don’t be TOO shocked if she only loses by mid-high single digits. That’s how much Mitch won by in 2008, after all.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

It’ll be a lot of fun seeing Daines, Perdue, and Tillis very narrowly win and Republicans hold the Senate so that McGrath can lose by 18 (instead of 21) and Harrison by 12 (instead of 15.)

In 2016, Rand Paul won by 14 and in 2014, McConnell won by 15. I highly doubt McGrath will lose by more than that. Probably about the same as those races, maybe slightly better.

Why did Paul underperform Trump so much in 2016? Of the 22 Republican Senate incumbents, he and Blunt (who was facing a superstar challenger) were the only ones to do so.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2020, 05:48:23 PM »

Why did Paul underperform Trump so much in 2016? Of the 22 Republican Senate incumbents, he and Blunt (who was facing a superstar challenger) were the only ones to do so.

Neither of Kentucky’s senators are very popular. In fact both routinely rank towards the bottom when Senate approval ratings are polled. Jim Gray was a fairly strong candidate, too, being the popular mayor of Lexington; he won KY-06 (Lexington district) even as Trump and Barr won it fairly easily. Trump just had more appeal to the ancestral Democrats in the coal country as well; we all know Elliot County famously swung big time for Trump, but still they voted for Gray over Paul.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »

Out of these two, only Harrison even has a snowball's chance in Hell odds to actually win. The McGrifter money would be better used as bribe payments for Mitch McConnell at this point.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2020, 12:11:57 AM »

Out of these two, only Harrison even has a snowball's chance in Hell odds to actually win. The McGrifter money would be better used as bribe payments for Mitch McConnell at this point.

Are we sure about that? NONE of Lindsey’s wins have been as close as a few of Mitch’s wins have been. And he isn’t consistently ranked as one of the most unpopular, if not the most unpopular, senators in the country either. I would not be at all surprised if he ends up winning by more than Mitch, just as he did last time.

People here keep “misunderestimating” Kentucky. I literally joined this site originally just to counter the circlejerk of “Bevin is inevitable” and lo and behold, look who turned out to be right. People here just don’t get KY politics, which I empathize with because they are weird to say the least. But what you have to understand is that there is still a fairly sizable bloc of voters in this state who would never vote D for president, but would happily vote for one for other offices, including senator (as we saw in 2016, when Rand Paul badly underperformed Trump) and especially governor. An office which no R governor in HISTORY has ever been re-elected to.

It’s not like SC where the electorate has essentially been polarized by race for decades. There is a relatively elastic group of voters here, most of whom are still registered Democrats. They got Beshear elected, and if Elliot County native Rocky Adkins (who is beloved by these types and resembles Manchin in several ways) was the nominee? Well I’d probably have this race as a toss-up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies