2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:10:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota  (Read 39617 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:18 AM »

Figured it was time to create a thread for this, it is one of the last remaining states after all.
The impending loss of a CD is also a major point to consider.
https://davesredistricting.org/join/7c372419-5bba-49bd-99ad-ad4409cb653f
Thoughts:
2010 map was two urban (4, 5), two suburban (2, 3), three rural (1, 7, 8), and one which treads the line between suburban and rural (6). This map has two urban (4, 5), two suburban (2, 3), and three rural (1, 6, 7). Sluggish population trends meant that one of "sub-rural" seats will be gone and partitioned. 1, 7, and 6 are reconfigured along east-west lines. The urban St. Paul seat (MN-4) becomes more of a suburban-rural mix with its gaining the rest of Washington County. The Minneapolis seat (MN-5) also has to expand. It pulls out of Anoka and eats into a big chunk of MN-03, which in turn becomes exurban in character. However MN-03 was still within just 2 points in the 2018 governor race, which bodes well for Dems. MN-02, the southern suburban seat, shrinks and eats in Hennipen County, turning its PVI D+. MN-01 meanwhile takes from old MN-02 and MN-07. It stays at R+5.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:05:02 AM »

Your map has 3 Clinton districts and 4 Trump ones. That just isn't going to go ahead. I am confident that there will be 4 Twin Cities districts that are all Clinton+10 or better.
What do you propose? Splitting Mineapolis?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:02 AM »

Your map has 3 Clinton districts and 4 Trump ones. That just isn't going to go ahead. I am confident that there will be 4 Twin Cities districts that are all Clinton+10 or better.
What do you propose? Splitting Mineapolis?

Anoka + Hennepin is almost exactly two districts,  why not use that instead of all the other county splits?
Anoka+Hennipen is a grouping I was not actually familiar with. I am not sure how that would impact the 1st however. I was to stay traditional to MN redistricting - MN has not had a real partisan gerrymander in its lines in at least four decades. It's driven mainly by communities of interest as defined by "urban" (The Twin Cities themselves), "suburban" (the suburbs and lesser extent exurbs around them), and "rural" (the rest of state), and within the Twin Cities the rule is to pair northern suburbs with northern suburbs etc, southern with southern, etc. Hence me giving Bloomington to MN-02, because with bigger seats it was either that or disturb the 1st. And the 3rd having all of Anoka and expanding in exurban areas to reach ideal.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »

Is Minnesota certain to lose a district? I thought that wasn't completely baked in.
Your guess would be as good as mine.
I'm just assuming it's likelier than not and so I'm operating based off that assumption.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 10:55:27 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Minnesota and California are not guaranteed to lose a district.
No, but they are likely to lose one.
It'd be interesting to see maps for eventualities where they both stand pat actually.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 09:08:11 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Wut

You honestly think a Dem trifecta would draw anything but? The urban cores will be split four ways and the three rural districts will be packed. Any 4R-3D map is an obvious nonstarter.

It's not a D trifecta though
even a D trifecta would be unlikely to do that. Placing Minneapolis with non-neglible parts of Rice County,  or even all of Carver? Not gonna happen.
Seriously, a blatant gerrymander of any sort is 95% off the table.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 09:22:38 PM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

Also I'd like to vigorously dispute the categorization of any Trump district as invariably R. An MN-01 that is R+5 isn't really a firm R seat, if anything it is very swingy. It should be categorized as neither R nor D.
4 Trump districts is perfectly justifiable setup. Respecting communities of interest matters more than having an absolute majority of Clinton districts. An arrangement that has 4 completely safe Democratic districts in the Twin Cities is almost certainly overly messy, runs roughshod over communities of interest, and is a non-starter - and MN Ds know it.
The State Senate is much more attractive as a prospect. For instance you can pair State House seats in a way that creates urban-centric seats as opposed to "rurban" ones, which is something I expect MN Ds to do. This should help them tighten any grip they have on the upper house.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 09:43:31 PM »

Wut

You honestly think a Dem trifecta would draw anything but? The urban cores will be split four ways and the three rural districts will be packed. Any 4R-3D map is an obvious nonstarter.

even a D trifecta would be unlikely to do that. Placing Minneapolis with non-neglible parts of Rice County,  or even all of Carver? Not gonna happen.

There's no need to bring in Rice, and I don't see 3R-4D as a blatant gerrymander. Basically, Hennepin, Ramsey, Washington, Chisago, Anoka, Wright, Carver, Scott, and Dakota add up to a perfect four districts which voted 59-41 Clinton-Trump. Not that hard to turn that area into 4 safe Dem districts. I get that DFL is all about good governance, but this really isn't that hard of a lift.

4 Clinton +10 districts in a state that was Clinton +2 is definitely a gerrymander. A fair map would probably be 3-1-3, with the 1 either taking up the territory of the current second or a more conservative third.
While I agree about the 3-1-3 thing, I disagree about the location of the 1. Most viable and most logical location would be a simple 1st district covering the entire south of the state.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 11:41:00 PM »

Wut

even a D trifecta would be unlikely to do that. Placing Minneapolis with non-neglible parts of Rice County,  or even all of Carver? Not gonna happen.

There's no need to bring in Rice, and I don't see 3R-4D as a blatant gerrymander. Basically, Hennepin, Ramsey, Washington, Chisago, Anoka, Wright, Carver, Scott, and Dakota add up to a perfect four districts which voted 59-41 Clinton-Trump. Not that hard to turn that area into 4 safe Dem districts. I get that DFL is all about good governance, but this really isn't that hard of a lift.

4 Clinton +10 districts in a state that was Clinton +2 is definitely a gerrymander. A fair map would probably be 3-1-3, with the 1 either taking up the territory of the current second or a more conservative third.
While I agree about the 3-1-3 thing, I disagree about the location of the 1. Most viable and most logical location would be a simple 1st district covering the entire south of the state.

How would you draw that so it isn't safe R?
The R+5 seat that I have drawn is very competitive and would easily fit the bill for a swing district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/f3c9c1a2-1725-4561-8afa-890fa72235ce

This is my effort at a Minnesota map based off the hennepin-anoka 2 seats nested thing. There are only 2 county splits. The CDs are as follows:
1: 53-38 Trump, R+5, 49-47 Walz
2: 49-42 Trump, R+5, 48-48 Walz
3: 47-44 Clinton, EVEN, 52-44 Walz
4: 59-32 Clinton, D+12, 64-32 Walz
5: 69-22 Clinton, D+21, 74-23 Walz
6: 63-30 Trump, R+14, 58-38 Johnson
7: 53-39 Trump, R+4, 48-48 Johnson
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 07:27:46 AM »

Combining the Twin Cities doesn't necessarily serve the GOP perfectly either. Indeed, a MN GOPmander would do well to combine Minneapolis with areas farther west, soaking up Dem trending suburbs in the Twin Cities metro.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »

This is a GOP-leaning map designed to keep things clean and relatively good-looking from a CoI perspective. The 5th is packed with Dems in order to make MN-03 more competitive, though I doubt that Dean Phillips would be a massive underdog in his new district. MN-02 has lost its entire share of Washington County in return for heavily R exurbs. Both move 3-4 points to the right under 2012/2016 PVIs. MN-01 also gains more heavily R turf in the Southwest of the state, now resembling its 2000s iteration in shape. MN-06 is chopped up among most of its neighbors, to unlock its R voters.

There are only three county splits: Washington County (once), Wright County (once), and Hennipen County (once).
https://davesredistricting.org/join/7ae7d0d7-cd78-40b9-846e-5f0de8a1a5b3
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 10:23:34 PM »

Zumbrota and Otsego being in the same district is highly questionable.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 01:18:03 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2021, 01:21:04 AM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/457efc6a-abe1-4392-a284-fcfe34cab9b9
This is designed to be a Dem-friendly counterpart of the concept map I made previously. MN-02 is drawn to be "ideal" CoI-wise but also in a way that helps Dems; it probably moves very slightly to the left. MN-03 becoming more GOP-friendly is inevitable but I cushioned things for Dean Phillips by giving him some heavily Dem suburbs in the north of Hennipen County. MN-01, in this iteration, barely moves right at all. MN-07 gets eliminated, with Fischbach facing a primary with either Stauber or Emmer.
The MSP districts reflect the division between north and south parts of the metro, though the specifics of the border between 3 and 5 are very much in line with a laser-focus on helping Dean Phillips.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 10:18:07 PM »

Dean Phillips lives in Deephaven, which is in your MN-05 (it's on Lake Minnetonka).
I know.
He'd have to move. It'd be for his own good.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2021, 12:46:53 AM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/89e2c6e9-76ef-4eab-8810-8be2f1788a58
MN state house map based off 2018 population estimates

https://davesredistricting.org/join/c36c01ee-ebda-4f37-832b-2dd4e4bdbcbb
MN state senate

Criteria was: reduction of county splits, compactness, and reduction of municipal splits (from most to least important)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 12:23:03 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/457efc6a-abe1-4392-a284-fcfe34cab9b9
This is designed to be a Dem-friendly counterpart of the concept map I made previously. MN-02 is drawn to be "ideal" CoI-wise but also in a way that helps Dems; it probably moves very slightly to the left. MN-03 becoming more GOP-friendly is inevitable but I cushioned things for Dean Phillips by giving him some heavily Dem suburbs in the north of Hennipen County. MN-01, in this iteration, barely moves right at all. MN-07 gets eliminated, with Fischbach facing a primary with either Stauber or Emmer.
The MSP districts reflect the division between north and south parts of the metro, though the specifics of the border between 3 and 5 are very much in line with a laser-focus on helping Dean Phillips.
Is your map going to get through both houses of the legislature?

The previous map I made had little chance to get through the Dem house, and this second map has little chance of getting through the Rep senate. Minnesota is likely to end up with a court map.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 01:40:31 PM »

Just why are the usual suspects of mapping nerds more obsessed by Minnesota than any other state this cycle? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ten years ago the center of the universe was Michigan btw.

I also wonder how many hours Jimrtex spent preparing his tour de horizon of the history of Minnesota CD's since the time that rocks cooled. That would have taken me a week or more.
This time around it's more a flavor of the month thing than anything else. CA, PA, GA, and now MN.
I'm also the only one who has made a state legislative map of the Gopher State using 2018 population estimages. So far.
You know that House districts have to nest inside senate districts? It could be better to draw the senate map, then split the districts. It it doesn't work out, then adjust some of the senate districts.
I am aware of the nesting.
I'm just following BRTD's advice on what works better in MN.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »

Aside from what the final population numbers might be, this seems to be the most Dem friendly division of the Twin Cities metro pie. I am a bit surprised it has not been put up yet.  Huh

Now all that is needed is to reverse engineer the COI argument. Well that prong of Anoka used to be or should have been in Hennepin, it is right next door to Minneapolis, and taking in the rest of Anoka just fills out the missing population, and BRTD has relatives in Coon Rapids to boot.
Actually the Anoka panhandle and east Minneapolis should be in Ramsey.

At least you acknowledge that there will have to be a pretextual argument to bamboozle the 5-judge panel.

All of Ramsey+Anoka Panhandle+as much of Minneapolis as is needed?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 10:28:52 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b1154f99-7765-4758-9378-6766ec91037b

Jimrtex's comments made me wonder what would/could happen if one made a Ramsey+as much of Anoka as was needed.
Currently 1, 7, and 8 are rural; 2 and 3 are suburban; 4 and 5 are urban; and 6 is rural-suburban hybrid. Under this map, the current 7th is eliminated, split between 7 and 1. 1 gives up half its territory to 2, which takes it from suburban to suburban-rural. The balance of rural-suburban in 6 also moves a bit more suburban as well. Thus: 1 and 7 are rural, 3 is suburban, 4 and 5 are urban, and 2 and 6 are rural-suburban.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 02:20:42 PM »

I doubt Ilhan Omar wants to take a heaping pile of Anoka County, which would vote against her in a primary. And she's very much part of the DFL establishment, so her opinion matters to map drawers unlike AOC.

I actually would argue that Omar may prefer taking in Anoka county rather than the surrounding blue suburbs in Hennepin.

Omar's big threat comes from a primary. Having Minneapolis in the seat guarantees her safety in a general, but a primary challenger could possibly take her down. Having the blue suburbs of Hennepin shores up Omar in a general-election sense, but it decreases her odds of holding down in a primary, since these very blue voters could turn against her (as many did in the 2020 primary).

Anoka county is much more red, which would make her seat closer than her current. But in the end, that's not the threat that she's facing down. Meanwhile, the purple county of Anoka comes with the benefit of having fewer registered D voters who could go against her Minneapolis base and depose her.

So, if Omar is looking to shore herself up primary-wise, Anoka is the way to go.
Good points. Also, I just realized - the center of gravity in an Anoka+Minneapolis CD is basically in northern Minneapolis. For an R to win a MN-05 that has Anoka means either a) GOP gets defections in Minneapolis (fat chance) or b) Anoka (more likely) becomes blood red, outvoting Minneapolis. But Minneapolis is very Dem and more populous than all of Anoka. So it'd have to be more Rep than Minneapolis is Dem.
Sounds implausible to me.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

Looking through the Minnesota Constitution it appears that there is no limit on the number or legislators. There is a nesting requirement, but no set nesting ratio, nor a requirement that House districts be single member. In this case, it is similar to Washington's constitution.

Electing two members by position in Washington is just a tradition.

But what if we wanted to provide differentiation between the two chambers in Minnesota. 67 senators and 134 representatives is just two large mobs with little differentiation. The two representatives are just waiting for the Senator (likely of the same party) to retire. There will be a few representatives stuck in the House because of the partisan alignments of the two House districts.

So let's switch to Senate district coterminous with House districts electing multiple members using STV. If we keep the total number of legislators around 201.

Then we might have 33 legislative districts electing 5 representatives each for a total of 33 + 165 = 198 legislators. Or 29 legislative districts electing 6 representatives each for a total of 29 + 174 = 203 representatives.

The Senate would become a more deliberate big picture body. The House would have minority political representation from almost everywhere, and minority racial and ethnic representatives from many places where it is is somewhat unusual.
Would this gel well with county-based House districts?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:36 PM »

Looking through the Minnesota Constitution it appears that there is no limit on the number or legislators. There is a nesting requirement, but no set nesting ratio, nor a requirement that House districts be single member. In this case, it is similar to Washington's constitution.

Electing two members by position in Washington is just a tradition.

But what if we wanted to provide differentiation between the two chambers in Minnesota. 67 senators and 134 representatives is just two large mobs with little differentiation. The two representatives are just waiting for the Senator (likely of the same party) to retire. There will be a few representatives stuck in the House because of the partisan alignments of the two House districts.

So let's switch to Senate district coterminous with House districts electing multiple members using STV. If we keep the total number of legislators around 201.

Then we might have 33 legislative districts electing 5 representatives each for a total of 33 + 165 = 198 legislators. Or 29 legislative districts electing 6 representatives each for a total of 29 + 174 = 203 representatives.

The Senate would become a more deliberate big picture body. The House would have minority political representation from almost everywhere, and minority racial and ethnic representatives from many places where it is is somewhat unusual.
Would this gel well with county-based House districts?
Equal protection still applies to the House districts.

Quote from: Article IV Section 2 and 3
Sec. 2. Apportionment of members.

The number of members who compose the senate and house of representatives shall be prescribed by law. The representation in both houses shall be apportioned equally throughout the different sections of the state in proportion to the population thereof.

Sec. 3. Census enumeration apportionment; congressional and legislative district boundaries; senate districts.

At its first session after each enumeration of the inhabitants of this state made by the authority of the United States, the legislature shall have the power to prescribe the bounds of congressional and legislative districts. Senators shall be chosen by single districts of convenient contiguous territory. No representative district shall be divided in the formation of a senate district. The senate districts shall be numbered in a regular series.
Washington has similar language, but also has limits on the number of senators. Minnesota had a quite liberal limit (no more senators than one per 5000 persons, no more representative than one per 2000). This would cap senators at around 1100 and representatives at around 2800). These limits were removed as a general cleanup of the Constitution in 1974. Technically, this eliminated the upper limits, so that now there could be more than 2800 representatives.

I think Washington also had county restrictions. I couldn't find any in Minnesota, but old maps appear to show that they did. In Washington through the mid-20th Century as Seattle became dominant, there were attempts to provide balance by giving more House districts to Seattle Area senate districts, and limiting rural senate districts to one representative. Thus the House was more proportional than the senate.

It appears that Minnesota had a similar pattern, but I could only find history of legislators rather than history of districts.

This shows the number of senators and representatives over the years. It is only fairly recent that the number of representatives was exactly twice the number of senators. However a ratio of 2:1 and around 200 legislators was establish by the end of the 19th Century. I don't know if there was any apportionment between 1919 and 1962. Conceivably they could have adjusted the apportionment of representatives per senate district.

68th - current 1973 - present 134 67 201
63rd - 67th 1963 - 1972 135 67 202
41st - 62nd 1919 - 1962 131 67 198
39th - 40th 1915 - 1918 130 67 197
37th - 38th 1911 - 1914 120 63 183
31st - 36th 1899 - 1910 119 63 182

I wonder if it is possible to, say, set a quota of around 40,000 per house member (on 2018 numbers), draw a bunch of county-based House districts on that basis, and have them double as Senate districts whenever possible.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 11:24:05 PM »

Cook+Lake+St.Louis+Carlton (251,500) 6 house, 3 senate
Roseau+Kittson+Marshall+Pennington+Red Lake+Polk (78,974) 2 house, 1 senate
Lake of the Woods+Koochiching+Itasca+Beltrami+Clearwater+Hubbard+Cass (166,469) 4 house, 2 senate
Mahnomen+Clay+Wilkin+Norman (81,209) 2 house, 1 senate
Becker+Otter Tail+Wadena+Todd+Douglas (167,054) 4 house, 2 senate
Crow Wing+Aitkin (79,689) 2 house, 1 senate

And so on
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 01:26:08 PM »

Cook+Lake+St.Louis+Carlton (251,500) 6 house, 3 senate
Roseau+Kittson+Marshall+Pennington+Red Lake+Polk (78,974) 2 house, 1 senate
Lake of the Woods+Koochiching+Itasca+Beltrami+Clearwater+Hubbard+Cass (166,469) 4 house, 2 senate
Mahnomen+Clay+Wilkin+Norman (81,209) 2 house, 1 senate
Becker+Otter Tail+Wadena+Todd+Douglas (167,054) 4 house, 2 senate
Crow Wing+Aitkin (79,689) 2 house, 1 senate

And so on
These are my maps for senate apportionment.

Senate districts have to be single member.

So there will be Cook, Lake, St. Louis(part); Carlton, St. Louis(part); and St. Louis(part).

It would be possible to elect two representatives from each senate district, or to divide the senate district into two house districts. There might be a preference for division, since that would give Carlton most of a house district.

41 senate districts contained in a single county.
10 senate districts made up of whole counties.
16 senate districts include parts of counties.
Looks decent for purpose of this exercise.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies