2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:17:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota  (Read 40052 times)
SInNYC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: November 23, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »

Regarding mid-decade redistricting, be careful what you wish for, as MN voters have a history of not liking sleazy stuff. The DFL did something seedy before 1978, with governor Anderson resigning so that he could be appointed senator by the new governor Perpich, his lieutenant governor. Both Perpich and Anderson lost the next election in 1978 by big margins, and MN had Republicans for governor and both senators for the first time of the modern era.

Yeah, of all states, Minnesota is a bad fit for these tactics. Minnesotans take good government seriously! And that's especially true in the case when the DFL can clearly win fair and square.

Wasn’t Wisconsin similar in this way?  Republicans paid no price there for their brutal gerrymander of the state legislature.

Thats a good point, but I think there is one significant difference: Milwaukee. As a black plurality city, Rs do what they always do and run against it as a vote-stealing machine, so that voters in the rest of the state see their gerrymandering as a way to counteract it. Thats a lot harder to do with the Twin Cities, even though they are more diverse than the rest of the nation thinks and there is some friction with some immigrant groups. The Twin Cities suburbs do have disturbing levels of segregation though not as bad as Milwaukee, but they are also more educated (more hitech and biotech) than Milwaukee.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #601 on: March 30, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »

Pairing Rochester with Dakota County is a bit weird unless you were aiming for a mild D gerrymander, but not bad. Although a 7-district Minnesota is looking to not ever be likely.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »

Pairing Rochester with Dakota County is a bit weird and that blue district doesn't look bad from a county CoI perspective but is a bit weird in putting Woodbury with northern Anoka County. But overall not bad.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2024, 08:41:31 PM »

This is proposed in the State House and interestingly all 20 sponsors are Democrats.   It list proportionality directly in the language (section 7.25) -

[7.25] Districts must not be drawn with the effect of unduly favoring or disfavoring any political
party. Districts shall be subjected to a test of partisan fairness using the standard of
proportionality as the benchmark for fairness.

It also doesn't seem to list anything regarding compactness either.   I'd kinda be okay with this passing really.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2024, 08:46:01 PM »

I've never been a huge fan of using proportionality in redistricting. Huge shifts can and do happen, and a proportionally fair map at the start of one decade may not be one by the end of it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2024, 10:11:23 PM »

This is proposed in the State House and interestingly all 20 sponsors are Democrats.   It list proportionality directly in the language (section 7.25) -

[7.25] Districts must not be drawn with the effect of unduly favoring or disfavoring any political
party. Districts shall be subjected to a test of partisan fairness using the standard of

It also doesn't seem to list anything regarding compactness either.   I'd kinda be okay with this passing really.
Actually now sure how I'd vote on this. Hmmm...

Ideally it would be like the Virginia one was for Republicans and it's set up so the independent commission is still D-biased.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2024, 08:10:29 AM »

Yeah it’s not like Dems have actually ever had a trifecta in a redistricting year here and there is also a non zero chance that Republicans could have a trifecta here in 2031.  Dems should also be pushing for independent redistricting in PA for these exact same reasons.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies