2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:18:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Minnesota  (Read 40128 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 29, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »

MN does not have fajita strips? Who knew?
Oh, but it does!

https://davesredistricting.org/join/323e42f6-3aeb-4d96-8aee-64412f9bc87e
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #351 on: June 11, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »

I tried making a map that's somewhat favourable to the Dems while still looking reasonable. No cities have been divided, and county splits minimized.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »

Here is my least change court drawn map to put in the hopper. Not much happens vis a vis the existing map.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/ecd8e1ba-c809-4be2-91f5-4e7c3a81b549

There have been lots of rather exotic-looking maps drawn in this thread, but if Minnesota (against all odds) is keeping its eighth congressional district, this will be the most likely (though boring) map to be adopted, especially given the evenly divided and split nature of the legislature.  So largely an incumbent-protection map with some minor shifts to account for population changes.    
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #353 on: June 12, 2021, 07:26:56 PM »

Here is my least change court drawn map to put in the hopper. Not much happens vis a vis the existing map.

There have been lots of rather exotic-looking maps drawn in this thread, but if Minnesota (against all odds) is keeping its eighth congressional district, this will be the most likely (though boring) map to be adopted, especially given the evenly divided and split nature of the legislature.  So largely an incumbent-protection map with some minor shifts to account for population changes.    

Yep. I highly doubt the new congressional map changes any more than necessary from the current one. State legislative maps will be far more interesting.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #354 on: June 12, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »

There have been lots of rather exotic-looking maps drawn in this thread, but if Minnesota (against all odds) is keeping its eighth congressional district, this will be the most likely (though boring) map to be adopted, especially given the evenly divided and split nature of the legislature.  So largely an incumbent-protection map with some minor shifts to account for population changes.     

Yep. I highly doubt the new congressional map changes any more than necessary from the current one. State legislative maps will be far more interesting.
What do you see happening there?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2021, 12:18:42 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 12:22:05 AM by Minnesota Mike »

What do you see happening there?

I think you will see more impact from the population growing faster in the Twin Cities with the legislative maps than the congressional maps. Rural areas will probably lose 3-4 house seats and 1-2 senate seats to the metro. That should benefit the Democrats. Also interested to see if fast growing Rochester is split evenly again among 2 senate seats (currently both R) that also contain bright red rural areas again. If a senate seat is totally within Rochester that would certainly be a Democratic pickup. Little changes could make a huge difference in the closely divided legislature.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #356 on: June 30, 2021, 08:08:39 PM »

2 TPaw, 1 Ventura,2  Dayton.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #357 on: July 01, 2021, 04:35:56 PM »

2 TPaw, 1 Ventura,2  Dayton.

Panel is a backup in case the legislature does not draw maps on time.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #358 on: July 11, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »

How would one draw a least change map that results in the following:
*MN-02 becomes a few points friendlier for Dems (Biden +7 --> Biden +11ish)
*MN-01 becomes a few points friendlier for Dems (Trump +10 --> Trump +5ish)
*MN-03, MN-04, and MN-05 remain safe for Dems

Presumably MN-06, MN-07, and MN-08 take in even more GOP turf but what would the mechanics be here? Presumably MN-02 takes in some of the Southern part of MN-04, MN-05, or MN-03 (wherever the most Dem friendly votes are), and then MN-01 sheds some conservative turf to MN-07, but where do its Dem votes come from? Would love to see this mapped if anyone knows how.

PS - my interest in this is because this is what I would consider a "fair" / partisan proportional map for Minnesota. It's essentially 4-4, but since this is a Dem state, there's a Dem advantage in the sense that all four Dem seats are safe but one of the four GOP seats is competitive.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #359 on: July 11, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

Presumably MN-06, MN-07, and MN-08 take in even more GOP turf but what would the mechanics be here? Presumably MN-02 takes in some of the Southern part of MN-04, MN-05, or MN-03 (wherever the most Dem friendly votes are), and then MN-01 sheds some conservative turf to MN-07, but where do its Dem votes come from? Would love to see this mapped if anyone knows how.

PS - my interest in this is because this is what I would consider a "fair" / partisan proportional map for Minnesota. It's essentially 4-4, but since this is a Dem state, there's a Dem advantage in the sense that all four Dem seats are safe but one of the four GOP seats is competitive.

I’ll try making a clean 4-1-3 map later. I think another option could be to have MN-2 take in Rochester alongside most if not all of Dakota County, while MN-6 gets pulled more in to Minneapolis and becomes a swingy suburban district that narrowly went to Trump, being mostly Anoka and Washington. This might screw up some COIs though.

However making a swingy MN-1 usually involves MN-7 shifting south leading to a weird situation with MN-8. MN geography is honestly really annoying because it seems like no matter what, 1 district is going to be “leftovers”

Also, MN geography is slightly unfavorable to Ds so a “fair map” from a partisanship standpoint is something one has to go out of their way to make; 4-4 map on 2020 numbers is kinda like the “default”
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »

I’ll try making a clean 4-1-3 map later. I think another option could be to have MN-2 take in Rochester alongside most if not all of Dakota County, while MN-6 gets pulled more in to Minneapolis and becomes a swingy suburban district that narrowly went to Trump, being mostly Anoka and Washington. This might screw up some COIs though.

However making a swingy MN-1 usually involves MN-7 shifting south leading to a weird situation with MN-8. MN geography is honestly really annoying because it seems like no matter what, 1 district is going to be “leftovers”

Also, MN geography is slightly unfavorable to Ds so a “fair map” from a partisanship standpoint is something one has to go out of their way to make; 4-4 map on 2020 numbers is kinda like the “default”

I think Dems would be OK with a 4-4 map as long as Craig is made much safer.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »

First attempt at a partisan fair map. Don't like MN-4
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2021, 08:20:08 PM »

Tried a swingy MN-1; worked out a bit better I think. Anoka County is split 4 ways though.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2021, 07:58:11 PM »

On this note, is there a way to start with the existing Congressional map on the current version of DRA? It seems like there ought to be, and there has been in past iterations of DRA, but if there is right now, I can't figure it out.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2021, 08:24:52 PM »

On this note, is there a way to start with the existing Congressional map on the current version of DRA? It seems like there ought to be, and there has been in past iterations of DRA, but if there is right now, I can't figure it out.

Yes. On the home page, click on the state you want, then in that state, you should see option to "explore the state Senate and State House map". You click on the one you want. Once it's open, click on the paintbrush tool to duplicate the map.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #365 on: July 13, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »

Tried a swingy MN-1; worked out a bit better I think. Anoka County is split 4 ways though.

Thank you!

Agreed that a 4-1-3 is challenging to make seem clean given the geography
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2021, 04:02:36 PM »

Here's a 5-3 Trump map I like:

https://davesredistricting.org/join/836392aa-e28f-4064-a0a3-d232265d7236

Narrowest Trump win is MN-02, which he still won by 5 pts

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »

An aesthetic, compact 4-4 map. Population deviation ~5,000.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::2f56daab-e81d-46e4-9419-b25967dde887
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »

A mostly clean 4-4 Minnesoda map.  Smile

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0d176302-2a44-47d8-a5d5-a622218afb43

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »

This could be considered a slightly cleaned up least change map.  I could see the state supreme court drawing this.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7f034fda-12ec-49ed-9860-f1d526237634

No municipality splits other than the ones that cross counties.   No major changes from the existing map really.   

Don't see why MN-2 needs Goodhue, Rice, and Wabasha when it can get all the population it needs from Washington pretty easily.  Also this gets rid of that ugly western tail of MN-1.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #370 on: August 14, 2021, 05:41:55 PM »

No municipality splits other than the ones that cross counties.   No major changes from the existing map really.   

Don't see why MN-2 needs Goodhue, Rice, and Wabasha when it can get all the population it needs from Washington pretty easily.  Also this gets rid of that ugly western tail of MN-1.

But you push the MN-04 (St Paul) into the exurbs.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:13 PM »

That can be fixed easily, but it requires a muni split in Anoka.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »

That can be fixed easily, but it requires a muni split in Anoka.

One other complication (or not) is Fischbach is drawn into MN-06 with Emmer. She lives just outside of St Cloud in Stearns county.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »

If Dems win the legislature in '22, any chance they do a mid-decade redistricting?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #374 on: August 27, 2021, 09:19:14 AM »

If Dems win the legislature in '22, any chance they do a mid-decade redistricting?

I don’t know if the state constitution allows it.  In most states it doesn’t.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies