Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas ends security agreement with Israel and US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas ends security agreement with Israel and US
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas ends security agreement with Israel and US  (Read 595 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:23:39 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/palestinian-leader-mahmoud-abbas-ends-security-agreement-with-israel-and-us
The Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Abbas, has declared an end to security cooperation with the Israel and the United States, citing the imminent threat of Israeli annexation of parts of the West Bank.

The PLO voted to end cooperation with Israel and the US in 2018 and left it up to Abbas when to implement such a move. The Palestinian Authority (PA) president has threatened to stop such cooperation several times before, and it was unclear on Tuesday what his declaration would mean in practice, especially in terms of the future of the Palestinian security apparatus.

Done a decade too late, chief. Done a decade too late when it was clear that the Israeli side was biding time for a long, long time.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 07:27:21 AM »

Though does "better late than never" apply here?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:31:47 AM »

How far can you go on a post about Palestine without an anti-semitic dogwhistle?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »

How TF did my post get banned? Nothing I said was out of the ordinary. Like, we had a thread a while back detailing how Mizraichi and Shephardi Jews are rapidly assimilating, Bibi has said he doesn’t want Israel to be like an Arabic country before.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »

Does Abbas even have that much support among the Palestinian people? Aren't Hamas and other such groups the real authority among the populace?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:18:43 PM »

Does Abbas even have that much support among the Palestinian people? Aren't Hamas and other such groups the real authority among the populace?
He has power only among the West Bank from politicians in office and control of the PLO, Gaza is firmly in the control of Hamas.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »

As a wartime leader, Abbas’s position is unassailable in the West Bank. With Fayyad firmly in his pocket, who is the only leader the West was ever comfortable with, Abbas is the only real choice for Palestinians.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 05:32:23 AM »

How far can you go on a post about Palestine without an anti-semitic dogwhistle?
Some of us can forever. PSOL as far as I have seen isn't anti-semetic.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:19 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 06:01:50 AM by Blair »

He said that anti-semitism in the Labour Party had been cooked up by Likud & Israelis.

Accusing Israelis & specifically Israeli Jews of inventing antisemtism or as PSOL described it as 'Hysteria' is offensive, anti-semitic and would now rightly get you kicked out of the Labour Party.

This was on top of a post removed in this thread which called Jewish people 'european invaders'.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 08:44:39 PM »

He said that anti-semitism in the Labour Party had been cooked up by Likud & Israelis.

Accusing Israelis & specifically Israeli Jews of inventing antisemtism or as PSOL described it as 'Hysteria' is offensive, anti-semitic and would now rightly get you kicked out of the Labour Party.

This was on top of a post removed in this thread which called Jewish people 'european invaders'.
I was talking about Israelis and the dominant culture there, clearly dominated by Jewish people of European descent.

Antisemiticism in the Labor party was an overblown smear campaign cooked by the Tories against Corbyn, which was clearly repeated and affirmed by Israeli politicians. In no way have I levied the blame for this lie on Jewish people or the IsraelI government alone

This ain’t deniable, and I don’t take kindly to being called an antisemite on laughable claims. Anyway, all of this is immensely off topic to the thread and will probably turn into a libelous s•••show. I’m locking this thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies