Rate Montana for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:56:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rate Montana for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Who will win
Bullock

Daines

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Rate Montana for Senate  (Read 4084 times)
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2020, 06:27:08 PM »

Marsha Blackburn, as well as Portman and Thommy Thompson werent afraid to show themselves in front of the media, they are always in front of cameras.

There is a reason why Bollier is leading by 2 in Red Kansas and Bullock is leading by 3 to 7 points against Daines, I have only saw Daines 1 time in front of cameras,  during impeachment

His nickname out here is "Disappearing Daines." Literally no one sees him ever. People used to ambush him at the airport in Bozeman and I think it made him paranoid. He occasionally holds "tele-town hall" meetings that are heavily screened and that is his only interaction with constituents.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »

Marsha Blackburn, as well as Portman and Thommy Thompson werent afraid to show themselves in front of the media, they are always in front of cameras.

There is a reason why Bollier is leading by 2 in Red Kansas and Bullock is leading by 3 to 7 points against Daines, I have only saw Daines 1 time in front of cameras,  during impeachment

His nickname out here is "Disappearing Daines." Literally no one sees him ever. People used to ambush him at the airport in Bozeman and I think it made him paranoid. He occasionally holds "tele-town hall" meetings that are heavily screened and that is his only interaction with constituents.

Lol I saw McConnel and Cruz in ads for Daines on youtube; but I have yet to actually see an add for Daines with Daines actually in the ad. They ddin't even show a video or photo of Daines in the ad. So silly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2020, 01:38:49 AM »

Yeah, Daines doesnt appear on camera, McConnell is running for reelection in MT, TX and KY
funjack73
Rookie
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »

Daines is the narrow favorite, but don't underestimate Bullock. He definitely can win this.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2020, 06:37:39 PM »

Lol I saw McConnel and Cruz in ads for Daines on youtube; but I have yet to actually see an add for Daines with Daines actually in the ad. They ddin't even show a video or photo of Daines in the ad. So silly.

I saw those ads

Promptly donated to Bullock
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:08 PM »

The Rs have to be worried even in Red state KS, none of their candidates are at 50%. Even McConnell, Graham and Daines are well below 50%, that fits in with Trump's approvals at 44%
Lognog
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2020, 11:04:11 PM »

that's actually pretty depressing. usually, a republican in a state like montana could get away with something like this, but if you're facing a very popular two term governor, you can't sit back like that
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »

I think it'll end up Daines +5-10. Of course anybody who doesn't believe it's a pure toss-up is laughed at or mocked. It's going to be very delicious to see if that actually ends up the case. I could be wrong and revise if we get closer to election day, but given history I don't think it makes sense for Daines to lose unless it's a blue tidal wave.

There's an obligatory "Bullock =/ Bredesen" comment but it's actually going to be interesting to see how much Bullock can overperform relative to Bredesen. Contra to the narrative spun after the election, Bredesen was a very strong candidate. He just couldn't pull it off in staunchly Republican Tennesee. Bullock will need to overperform Biden by a 15 point margin to match Bredesen's overperformance of Clinton (9 point margin to match the R house vote in 2018), which may mean outright winning.

Daines won by 10 POINTS. Bullock did 1 point better than Bredesen in a state that is better for Democrats. I was right the entire time! This forum was convinced this was a toss-up race and that it was super different from other red state senate races in the past, with the help of MT Treasurer mocking and demeaning those that said this wasn't going to be a toss-up.

For the record the poll here was 56% Bullock 44% Daines just in case it's a poll that doesn't have a time limit and people start voting for Daines.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »

Daines won by 10 POINTS. Bullock did 1 point better than Bredesen in a state that is better for Democrats. I was right the entire time! This forum was convinced this was a toss-up race and that it was super different from other red state senate races in the past, with the help of MT Treasurer mocking and demeaning those that said this wasn't going to be a toss-up.

First of all, there are still some votes left to be counted, so his margin will probably shrink a little. Second, Daines and the Republicans also had to put in A TON of effort to win this convincingly, so it’s not like this was a seat that he always could/should have taken for granted. I get that you’re on your ‘I was right, everyone else was wrong/delusional/in a bubble’ rampage right now, though, so I’ll leave it at that (I’m not actually going to bump/mock some of your ridiculous predictions/insults because, believe it or not, I have better things to do).

I’m actually really glad we’ll probably end up holding the Senate (depending on how the two GA runoffs go). Check out my ‘delusional’ final Atlas Senate prediction. Wink
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2020, 07:23:17 AM »

First of all, there are still some votes left to be counted, so his margin will probably shrink a little. Second, Daines and the Republicans also had to put in A TON of effort to win this convincingly, so it’s not like this was a seat that he always could/should have taken for granted. I get that you’re on your ‘I was right, everyone else was wrong/delusional/in a bubble’ rampage right now, though, so I’ll leave it at that (I’m not actually going to bump/mock some of your ridiculous predictions/insults because, believe it or not, I have better things to do).

I’m actually really glad we’ll probably end up holding the Senate (depending on how the two GA runoffs go). Check out my ‘delusional’ final Atlas Senate prediction. Wink

Sure, but it's still going to be a larger margin than even I thought (Daines +7). Not only were you wrong about the Senate races in your state and Kansas, but you were also badly off on the presidential margin in those states too. It wasn't just one thing, it was your whole foundation of the blue wave that didn't happen.

My 'ridiculous' predictions? You're not going to bump them because you're not going to find much! And when I'm wrong, I admit it. Like I'll admit I was too bullish for Republicans on Georgia, and in certain house seats (like I got NJ-03 badly wrong) but I was also too Dem friendly in many house seats like NY-11, TX-23, and both Miami-Dade seats and underestimtaed Trump's margin in Florida and Texas. That's the thing, I'm not the Republican predicting hack you had assumed I was, if anything now you have a record of more consistently overestimating Democrats, and very much so in red states. I don't know what weird quirk you have but you're oddly pessimistic for a party you want to win.

I don't know how you can be so wrong about how this election was going to go for such a long period of time, overly confident since early in the year openly displaying your hatred for me for not predicting like you do and criticizing polls that were obviously bunk, and then respond like you're above the criticism. You can have you're predictions - but you're condescendingly sarcastic posting style towards others who differ is what needs to be held accountable. You have lost any credibility you once had, and no one should listen to a word you say until you stop your toxic posting style. Just admit you were wrong, instead of continuing down this road of coming up with excuses and strawmanning other people's viewpoints. 
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »

Sure, but it's still going to be a larger margin than even I thought (Daines +7). Not only were you wrong about the Senate races in your state and Kansas, but you were also badly off on the presidential margin in those states too. It wasn't just one thing, it was your whole foundation of the blue wave that didn't happen.

Yeah, but that's also the only thing that was pretty clearly wrong. Why take issue with 10 different misfires when they were mostly caused by a single issue? You could just write 'the national environment was less Democratic than most people here thought because the polls were wrong' and everything flows from there. Beyond that, the order in which races were predicted to go D/R wasn't too crazy - it might have been weirder if places like KS were as competitive as they were predicted to be while Biden only won the NPV by a few %. IndyRep in particular didn't do badly on that front.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »

^Being lectured on ‘condescending’ and ‘toxic’ posting style from you is quite something considering how you’ve behaved in the last 24 hours and even well before the election.

Also:

Yeah, of all my screw-ups this year, KS-SEN (I had Bollier losing, but thought it would be relatively close) and Miami-Dade County (didn’t foresee the dramatic swing at the presidential level and thought Ds would hold easily FL-26 and FL-27) were probably the biggest ones.

Feel free to mock this prediction as long as you want.

I’ll gladly admit that I was wrong about several races and you can bump hundreds of my posts/predictions and ridicule them if it makes you feel better. I could mock you for predicting that GA was ‘Likely R’, that Trump would win reelection (he may still, but it’s very, very unlikely), that Tester would win by high single digits (you predicted this a few months before the 2018 election and were just as wrong about that race as I was about this year's Senate race), but again, I don’t care.

Also, my ‘pessimism’ about red states has more to do with warranted concerns after a series of Republican underperformances (including in 2018, when the party underperformed the partisan baseline of most states rather dramatically, which you conveniently seem to ignore) and a general tendency to keep my expectations/faith in voters as low as possible. I was mostly wrong on the margins, not so much on the overall winner.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »

^Being lectured on ‘condescending’ and ‘toxic’ posting style from you is quite something considering how you’ve behaved in the last 24 hours and even well before the election.

Also:

Yeah, of all my screw-ups this year, KS-SEN (I had Bollier losing, but thought it would be relatively close) and Miami-Dade County (didn’t foresee the dramatic swing at the presidential level and thought Ds would hold easily FL-26 and FL-27) were probably the biggest ones.

Feel free to mock this prediction as long as you want.

I’ll gladly admit that I was wrong about several races and you can bump hundreds of my posts/predictions and ridicule them if it makes you feel better. I could mock you for predicting that GA was ‘Likely R’, that Trump would win reelection (he may still, but it’s very, very unlikely), that Tester would win by high single digits (you predicted this a few months before the 2018 election and were just as wrong about that race as I was about this year's Senate race), but again, I don’t care.

Also, my ‘pessimism’ about red states has more to do with warranted concerns after a series of Republican underperformances (including in 2018, when the party underperformed the partisan baseline of most states rather dramatically, which you conveniently seem to ignore) and a general tendency to keep my expectations/faith in voters as low as possible. I was mostly wrong on the margins, not so much on the overall winner.

Once again, you're straw-manning. I'm not just going to randomly pick out every prediction you've made and ridicule it, I don't have time for that either. There's a reason I'm specifically going after you and not everybody else who got it wrong - you were extremely convinced you were right, and were awfully condescending to those who didn't think like you do. You convey your election analysis through mockery of others.  I don't care if the rest of the forum takes your side or not or like how you post, this IS toxic, and you should take this election as a slap in the face to your overbearing confidence. If I'm being toxic by calling it out... then so be it. I'm done hiding criticism to be more well-liked or whatever.

I seem to ignore? I took some of the trends from 2018 into the equation for my thinking in 2020, but I didn't let it dominate my predictions. Midterm elections have never had significant predictive value on the upcoming presidential election. They are almost always better for the party not in the White House. I thought 2018 was going to be a Dem wave before the election and I expected Republicans to not perform well. I thought if anything, my prediction in 2018 was going to be too Republican because parties tend to overperform their polling in wave elections. That didn't happen in 2018. The only thing that backed up the idea that 2020 was going to be a 2018 repeat was the polling. The primary turnout didn't back it up, the party registrations didn't back it up, special elections didn't back it up, search trends didn't back it up. It was not wise to believe that 2020 was going to be as good as 2018 for Democrats.

And one other thing - predicting Tester by 9 (which I don't remember, but I'll take your word for it) and saying Georgia was Likely R... were not my final predictions. I'm not going to point out a bad prediction if you changed your mind. I'm not even going to point out a bad prediction from somebody who didn't engage in the morally superior way you do. Xing made a bad prediction this year but he's generally respectful. What I'm pointing out is that these were your predictions up until the very end. And yes, Daines did say it was a toss-up constantly (I saw the ads) but it's foolish to take a politician's words as truthful for a prediction, even if that's what he actually thinks. Biden used Trafalgar's Michigan polls to say they were down to fundraise, I don't exactly believe Biden himself actually thought he was down in Michigan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies