2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:40:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Washington
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Washington  (Read 16423 times)
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »

Here is my 10-3 Dem Washington Congressional map. I roughly based this map from the current boundaries with some modifications.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/f9d0fcd9-7aae-4c4e-9cc8-2e1e7d7cd6e2

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »

Here is my 10-3 Dem Washington Congressional map. I roughly based this map from the current boundaries with some modifications.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/f9d0fcd9-7aae-4c4e-9cc8-2e1e7d7cd6e2

I like that 6th quite a bit.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »

Same map I posted earlier in the year, just updated to Census numbers -

https://davesredistricting.org/join/534f7eb1-2cd7-4f20-a8ef-92d05b43a1fc

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »

You can make a 10-0 D map in Washington.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/186bad5e-12e3-4f09-b35b-c3d27857c7e6

The Invincible Brent Boggs
kylebreth
Rookie

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2021, 08:25:01 PM »

Here's a nice Washington map--not exactly sure about the Tacoma area but I think everything else works well.

The Tacoma area is a little tricky to justify, but IMO it's just as much of a boondoggle as putting Tacoma's eastern suburbs into the 9th.

Putting Tacoma's eastern suburbs  into the 9th is not the only option. You could also put Tacoma into the 10th, put eastern Pierce into the 8th, then move some Eastside areas from the 8th to the 9th. I find that to be the best way to configure those three districts. The rest is almost exactly the way I'd draw a map with the 3rd crossing the Cascades.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »

You can make a 10-0 D map in Washington.

snip

Uh, hello? Based department?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2021, 11:54:09 AM »

Legislative map proposals are coming today, with congressional proposals on September 28:

https://www.redistricting.wa.gov/proposed-maps
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »

Legislative map proposals are coming today, with congressional proposals on September 28:

https://www.redistricting.wa.gov/proposed-maps

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2021, 03:05:11 PM »

I can't speak for the entire maps without running numbers, but based on Snohomish County, the Fain map is a hack R map (lol at lumping Everett and Mill Creek together to take out 3+ Dem incumbents)  whereas the Walkinshaw map makes the most sense as an incumbent protection map. The Sims map looks somewhat reasonable but D-leaning while the Graves map looks somewhat okay but quite R-leaning.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »

Congressional maps should be out any minute now...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »

Congressional maps should be out any minute now...

They are out
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »

First Glace:

Sims map is 7-3, Incumbent protection. Cleans up border between 2 and 1, 8 gets a bunch of the East suburbs.

Graves map is a balls to the walls R gerry. 1 takes the cross-cascades rurals along with the northern bits already, 8 reorients to the republican leadning south suburbs, 6 is made marginal Dem without Takoma.

Piņero Walkinshaw map does some major changes to the eastern seats, west remains incumbent Portect. CD 3 gets some of the R suburbs between Olympia and Takoma. Cleans up districts 1 and 2, 8/9 is more messy to make 9 compact.

Fain map is a R gerry, but tries some weird stuff in the south. 10 gets both Olympia and Takoma, so 6 gets more rurals. 8 gets all the far rurals of the north presently in exchange for suburbs. I think this is still 7-3 whereas Graves is 6-4.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »

Fain's (Senate R) WA-8 is downright absurd...crossing a bunch of mountain valleys to make a tilt D district?  Yeah, I don't think so.

At least the Graves (House R) map has WA-1 going through the highways in that area.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2021, 02:40:34 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2021, 02:45:45 PM by Oryxslayer »

Reminder that these maps are the starting points. The final map in 2010 was not one of the four proposed, it was pieced out from the four plans. With this in mind, the takeaway should be that the dem line is incumbent protection, and the Republican one is something a bit more but to what degree.

To this point, the GOP maps are not even equal in population.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2021, 04:16:53 AM »

So Reps went for the aggressive gerrymander and Dems completely threw the ball. How stupid is the WA Democratic party??

There sure as heck shouldn't be any "compromise" here. WA Democrats need to take a page from their Southern neighbors.
kingcharlesvii
Rookie

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »

Something to keep in mind for the Democrats is that the 3 R districts are all very distinct geographic areas and thus are rather hard to draw to be swingy or even lean Democrat. The D proposed maps are probably the best we could get while still keeping COI together and staying within the rules of the redistricting process regarding crossing city and county lines.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2021, 02:00:28 PM »

Something to keep in mind for the Democrats is that the 3 R districts are all very distinct geographic areas and thus are rather hard to draw to be swingy or even lean Democrat. The D proposed maps are probably the best we could get while still keeping COI together and staying within the rules of the redistricting process regarding crossing city and county lines.

Especially since one of the D maps isn't happy with just the 7 safe seats and tries to make the Spokane seat a future target.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2021, 04:38:01 PM »

I haven't played around with Washington in quite some time, but I think what bothers me most in the proposals is that they keep WA-08 crossing the Cascades. I'd rather see that district out of Eastern Washington. I know something has to cross between West and East, but I'd rather see WA-03 be that district.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2021, 08:08:27 PM »

Interesting to see Dan Newhouse (one of the 10 gop congresspersons to impeach trump after 1/6) district largely intact even with the high Hispanic population in several communities in his district
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2021, 09:03:49 PM »

Washington seems like the type of state where city population growth would give Dems an opportunity for a pickup, but I guess not...  or Dems are just inept.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2021, 09:21:50 PM »

Washington seems like the type of state where city population growth would give Dems an opportunity for a pickup, but I guess not...  or Dems are just inept.

Where would it occur though? Two seats have to be east of the cascades, that's just demos. Dems can try to make one such seat a bit more competitive, which we see on plan 3. The third GOP seat is along the Oregon border, and everything including or south of Lewis county is basically enough for a third seat...but a GOP leaning one. You would have to carve up the Oregon border to get a reliably blue 8th seat.

Conversely though, you have to work to get the dems under 7, as we can see from the GOP maps. And it's very likely that if you follow community lines those 7 end up safe.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2021, 09:53:12 PM »

Where would it occur though? Two seats have to be east of the cascades, that's just demos. Dems can try to make one such seat a bit more competitive, which we see on plan 3. The third GOP seat is along the Oregon border, and everything including or south of Lewis county is basically enough for a third seat...but a GOP leaning one. You would have to carve up the Oregon border to get a reliably blue 8th seat.

Conversely though, you have to work to get the dems under 7, as we can see from the GOP maps. And it's very likely that if you follow community lines those 7 end up safe.

That's the one I was thinking.  Is that the Buetler one?  Is there an issue with carving up the Oregon border? 
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2021, 09:59:22 PM »

That's the one I was thinking.  Is that the Buetler one?  Is there an issue with carving up the Oregon border? 

If you are gerrymandering I don't think so, though the centers of democratic strength are a bit distant and the near ones like Olympia and Takoma are a bit small. However, such a proposal would never survive the Washington redistricting process, so discussion therefore remains hypothetical.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2021, 11:16:31 PM by Tintrlvr »

Washington seems like the type of state where city population growth would give Dems an opportunity for a pickup, but I guess not...  or Dems are just inept.

A reliably blue 8th seat, yes, but actually population trends now allow for the Oregon border seat to be the Cascade-crosser without having to split the city of Yakima, which didn't used to be the case and would definitely be an arguable alternative to crossing the Cascades at Ellensburg. And crossing the Cascades along the Columbia is hugely advantageous for the Democrats as southern Yakima County is strongly Democratic (mostly Hispanic and Native). The Democrats on the Commission definitely should have been proposing the map below, which creates another Biden seat while leaving all of the Democratic incumbents safe (the parts north of Olympia don't really matter for this purpose; they could do them however they wanted re: incumbent protection but I went for logical COIs, minimal splitting of municipalities and road connections (e.g., Skykomish)).

The border seat is Biden+1; the remaining Democratic seats are Biden+10 (Olympia/Olympic peninsula), Biden+15 (Bellingham/Everett), Biden+20 (Tacoma) or more.

My split between the two eastern districts was intended to maximize the Hispanic population in the Tri-Cities/Yakima district, by the way, not that it really matters.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/bcdd0517-4570-467b-b3bb-a8ed3f174204

Edit: Improved the Tacoma-area map for the Democrats a bit.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2021, 03:40:20 AM »

A reliably blue 8th seat, yes, but actually population trends now allow for the Oregon border seat to be the Cascade-crosser without having to split the city of Yakima, which didn't used to be the case and would definitely be an arguable alternative to crossing the Cascades at Ellensburg. And crossing the Cascades along the Columbia is hugely advantageous for the Democrats as southern Yakima County is strongly Democratic (mostly Hispanic and Native). The Democrats on the Commission definitely should have been proposing the map below, which creates another Biden seat while leaving all of the Democratic incumbents safe (the parts north of Olympia don't really matter for this purpose; they could do them however they wanted re: incumbent protection but I went for logical COIs, minimal splitting of municipalities and road connections (e.g., Skykomish)).

The border seat is Biden+1; the remaining Democratic seats are Biden+10 (Olympia/Olympic peninsula), Biden+15 (Bellingham/Everett), Biden+20 (Tacoma) or more.

Seeing WA-03 go into Yakima County explains why Republicans would definitely not be fans of such an idea (the current version is Trump+4 in 2020 and Trump+7 in 2016). I definitely agree that Democrats should be proposing such a plan. If anything's holding them back, it's that the Olympic Peninsula district would have to move into heavily Republican Lewis County. It's currently a Biden+18/Clinton+12 district. If you put all of Pacific County and Wahkiakum County into the Olympic Peninsula district (an idea I like because it creates an entirely coastal district), you can put the eastern 2/3 of Lewis County back into WA-03. If you also shift some precincts in Yakima County, the respective districts become Biden+11.4 and Trump+0.4.

You can also try something else by keeping all of Lewis County in WA-03 and moving WA-06 (your WA-04) into Cowlitz County and taking in the city of Longview. I'm strongly of the mind that only WA-03 should be crossing the West/East line. I used your map as a template and only edited the districts mentioned. The districts mentioned become Biden+13.2 and Trump+2.4:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies