Is Rick Scott presidential material?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:44:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Rick Scott presidential material?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Rick Scott presidential material?  (Read 1306 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 03:08:55 PM »

Nope, he's creepy. DeSantis or even a second Rubio run have a better chance at the nomination than Rick Scott.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 03:51:02 PM »

I don't think so.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 01:00:12 AM »

Are people still underestimating Rick Scott? The guy is obviously very ambitious and pretty ruthless, has a somewhat similar background to Trump which would appeal to many Republican primary (and swing) voters (self-funding, wealthy businessman running as an outsider/job creator against "the establishment" and status quo), and already has experience beating establishment candidates and navigating close elections. I feel like he’s already set his sights on or at least strongly considered a 2024 campaign (he even ran an anti-Biden in Iowa this year). Whether you like him or not, he’s a skilled campaigner and knows how to adapt to changing circumstances and different races. He’s certainly capable of tapping into the Trumpist elements of the party without alienating too many other parts of the base.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2020, 08:57:07 AM by Donald J. Kushner »

Are people still underestimating Rick Scott? The guy is obviously very ambitious and pretty ruthless, has a somewhat similar background to Trump which would appeal to many Republican primary (and swing) voters (self-funding, wealthy businessman running as an outsider/job creator against "the establishment" and status quo), and already has experience beating establishment candidates and navigating close elections. I feel like he’s already set his sights on or at least strongly considered a 2024 campaign (he even ran an anti-Biden in Iowa this year). Whether you like him or not, he’s a skilled campaigner and knows how to adapt to changing circumstances and different races. He’s certainly capable of tapping into the Trumpist elements of the party without alienating too many other parts of the base.

All good points.  However, Scott has a bad environmental record (unlike DeSantis in a world where more and younger GOPers are pro-environment) and screwed up the unemployment benefits system in Florida. DeSantis might also be better suited to tap into the Trumpy-elements of the party, and he'll be 47 in 2024, the perfect contrast against dinosaurs like Trump/Biden.  Also a Governor is arguably more attractive to voters than a Senator (Scott was the former gov but that will be distant by 2023).

If DeSantis wins re-election and doesn't suffer a Christie-esque decline, he has a much better shot than Scott.  Of course, Ronny's youth allows him to wait until 28 or 32 if 2024 turns out to be a bad cycle, there could be a backdoor agreement where he endorses Scott out the gate to avoid a mutually destructive fight if the GOP will lose anyway.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »

The one situation where I can really see Scott winning the nomination is if the GOP's younger potential candidates mostly stay out of the 2024 race for whatever reason.

I can see Scott beating the likes of Pence and Pompeo; but if he's running against the likes of DeSantis, Hawley, Haley, Rubio, etc etc I think it becomes far harder for him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 04:45:16 AM »

Obama saved his hide in responses to hurricanes... and in his co-operation Scott got a reputation for competence that got him elected to the Senate. Ordinarily someone who goes from being a Governor to  a Senator has two of the three big offices that most puts one within range of the Presidency (the other is "big-city mayor, which can be extremely responsible and difficult). Rick Scott may not yet be a star in the Senate, so he isn't a new Richard Lugar or George Voinovich, two of the most qualified people to be President in recent decades. Either would have been a better President than Dubya.. and perhaps Clinton.   

(If you wonder about Barack Obama... the Chicago machine wanted him out of Illinois as quickly as possible. Obama would be a nightmare for political crooks, as he has a keen legal mind and a "do-the-crime-do-the-time attitude toward corrupt figures in public life. Governor of Illinois? Not as pliable as George Blagojevich, and we know how that turned out. President? He won't be holding any trials or prosecuting anyone, and he will be leave Illinois alone unless there is a really-nasty natural disaster such as a flood or an F-5 tornado).
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »

Good credentials on paper, but I would join with the others saying he lacks charisma and I can't see him doing well in a large field. He is ruthless and ambitious for sure, but if we're looking at politicians from Florida, I feel like DeSantis has a better shot at being "Presidential material".
Flyersfan232

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2020, 04:19:06 PM »

Yes but he too old he missed his shot in 2016
Flyersfan232

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »

Perhaps he would be Vice Presidential material.
I disagreedish maybe if he was younger but i rather desanties as my Vice President
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies